The Last Thing College Football Needed

SUMG

52 minutes ago, SUMG said:

A  2-minute warning.

Sorry but when you're at the stadium.....the number of 2-3 minute stoppages....is a lot already. You look down on the field...and they have a digital clock. (I guess for TV? not sure). But there are now 3.5 minutes of stoppage....between quarters. And it starts at 2:30 for every replay review. On most reviews you're watching at home....haven't you determined what happened....in less than a minute??

I think the first half last night...was about an hour and 45 minutes long. 

Baseball realized it needed to do things to speed things up some.....college football should too. 

Just my opinion. 

I agree but they also keep the clock running the rest of the game where it use to stop on first downs until the ball was set (I believe). Could be wrong… 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

I agree but they also keep the clock running the rest of the game where it use to stop on first downs until the ball was set (I believe). Could be wrong… 

I think they still stop on first downs for that. Saw it when Notre Dame had the ball at the end against Northern Illinois and it seemed like home cooking because the refs took so long to start the clock.

• Pissed 1

52 minutes ago, rcade said:

I think they still stop on first downs for that. Saw it when Notre Dame had the ball at the end against Northern Illinois and it seemed like home cooking because the refs took so long to start the clock.

They stop the clock for first downs in the last two mins of each half. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 3_n_out said:

All the stoppages for replay is just a kick to the nuts over and over. Can we go back to judgment calls and coaches replay challenges instead of the refs replaying every play

Agree, but I will say that they seemed to act pretty quickly on that horrible "roughing the passer" call, otherwise known as a perfect tackle.  I think one of the officials (ref?) must have quickly taken over and said, "no, this was a good tackle...done".

• Upvote 2

Yeah, and it's bad enough that we are relentlessly pounded by "thumpity-thumpity-thumpity" noise which eliminates any possibility of having a conversation about the game. Then last night it was an extra hour of that shit......geeeezz. Give me back the days when the band was the only one providing music at the game.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SilverEagle said:

Yeah, and it's bad enough that we are relentlessly pounded by "thumpity-thumpity-thumpity" noise which eliminates any possibility of having a conversation about the game.......geeeezz. Give me back the days when the band was the only one providing music at the game.

Not sure what I thought of the DJ playing “I’m Alright” as they were carting Price off in an ambulance. 

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, rcade said:

Only in the final two minutes of each half...before a couple of years ago it was every first down no matter how much time was left.

Also up until about fifteen years ago the clock would stop on every out of bounds play until the start of the next play.  Now it's only a temporary stoppage until the reset of the mark, so they have TRIED to do things to speed up pace of play.  The main issue is there is more passing than ever which means more incomplete passes...which means more time stoppages.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 3

Do we really want judgement calls on the road against a big program, though? Replays help restore integrity, in my opinion. Granted it's not perfect but I'd rather the calls be right than just what some guy thought he saw. If I'm not mistaken, there were two UNT fumbles last night recovered by SFA where the player was down by contact. Were it for judgment calls, SFA would have gotten those balls and we probably lose that game. Is that really what y'all want instead of getting the game called correctly?

As for the loud noises all the time, you can't want the young fans and students to come to the game while also removing the elements that make the atmosphere more enticing for that demographic. It's what all the big programs are doing with the constant music and flashing lights. So I ask, do you want a pleasant environment for a nice conversation or a rambunctious fanbase and full stands? Can't have it both ways.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, 97and03 said:

So was last week 😮‍💨

Last week's game was flying by till about 10 minutes left in the game. Then it seemed like the clock stopped after every play. Egregious stoppages for reviews on plays that didn't need reviews - like if that hit last week was targeting or not - didn't help.

I especially don't know why games that are streaming only have to have so many media timeouts - especially when it's usually just a rotation of the same thre commercials on ESPN+.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Matt from A700 said:

Last week's game was flying by till about 10 minutes left in the game. Then it seemed like the clock stopped after every play. Egregious stoppages for reviews on plays that didn't need reviews - like if that hit last week was targeting or not - didn't help.

I especially don't know why games that are streaming only have to have so many media timeouts - especially when it's usually just a rotation of the same thre commercials on ESPN+.

yeah.....I've seen that commercial with a reunion of some of the cast of "The Office" about 39,000 times. Note to folks who did that commercial: More Pam, less Meredith. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

This on I can answer! The streaming is treated just like a live game. The commercials are based on what ESPN can sell. If we're going to want a bigger media contract as a conference or school, we need to be attracting more media buys. As for seeing the same spot over and over, that's because one advertiser bought a lot of time - YEA! But they only have one or two spots to air. If you watched any of the minor bowl games last year, most of their sponsors only had a single spot to run and thus it ran every other break, in some cases EVERY break. 

• Upvote 1