Injury Updates?

Such a horrible screeching halt to a young man's wonderful night.

The guy goes from having a great game, including an awesome kick return, only to have it likely end his season in an instant.

I'm still confused by where the ball was placed after the injury stoppage. It was about 20 yards back up the field from where he was hurt.
Was he ruled out of bounds earlier?  If so, why wasn't this a late hit?  Did he simply get accidentally fallen on? 
(I haven't seen a replay of the return and mostly missed how the injury happened in real time.)

• Upvote 7

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Landon Peterson was in a sling. I think he dislocated his shoulder in the first quarter. 

Mercer hurt his wrist, potentially broken. 

Price, see above. 

Saw Duncan on the sideline suited up. Hopefully, he’s ready to go next week. 

• Upvote 7

31 minutes ago, Venson said:

I talked to one of the paramedics in the stands who was on his radio with the guys on the field. He said it was a compound fracture of the lower leg. 

yeah on the broadcast it was brief but Price held up his leg immediately and the SFA training staff came over and covered the leg with a towel as soon as they saw it. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Venson said:

I talked to one of the paramedics in the stands who was on his radio with the guys on the field. He said it was a compound fracture of the lower leg. 

Correct,  compound fracture to the L tib/fib. (Compound fx is when bone breaks the skin if anyone was wondering).

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

Just curious. But does anyone know why Harris (#44) came over and sat on the sideline and seemed especially upset and was comforted by several players and staff? Was he especially close to Price? Was he the first to witness the horrific injury? He didn't run over to the ambulance with the rest of his team to show support for their teammate while he was being loaded into the ambulance. Once again, just curious.

5 hours ago, Venson said:

3 hours ago, p_phelps said:

Correct,  compound fracture to the L tib/fib. (Compound fx is when bone breaks the skin if anyone was wondering).

If anyone has never seen a compound fracture, those are gnarly injuries.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Just curious. But does anyone know why Harris (#44) came over and sat on the sideline and seemed especially upset and was comforted by several players and staff? Was he especially close to Price? Was he the first to witness the horrific injury? He didn't run over to the ambulance with the rest of his team to show support for their teammate while he was being loaded into the ambulance. Once again, just curious.

I don’t know. I remember Ruder knelt over him until the medical staff arrived. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wardly said:

I sold and distributed orthopaedic implants for 30 years, and compound fractures are especially bad, especially to the lower leg. One of the major concerns is infection, because normally this type of traumatic injury is "dirty" . Another is blood flow to the affected area, which if disrupted could make healing the wound and obtaining union with the fragmented bones problematic. He needs all the prayers we can muster.

I'm not surprised at most of the concerns you mentioned to the soft tissue but wasn't aware of it possibly affecting the healing of the bone.  Otherwise, I was hoping that a broken leg might be a better than having a torn up knee.  One positive that might help is that he got proper care really quickly as opposed to someone that fell off a cliff, etc.

Definitely more things to be concerned about as we pull for him to have a successful recovery. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, meaniegreenie said:

I'm not surprised at most of the concerns you mentioned to the soft tissue but wasn't aware of it possibly affecting the healing of the bone.  Otherwise, I was hoping that a broken leg might be a better than having a torn up knee.  One positive that might help is that he got proper care really quickly as opposed to someone that fell off a cliff, etc.

Definitely more things to be concerned about as we pull for him to have a successful recovery. 

Compound fracture means the bone fractured into several pieces and penetrated the skin, so it was not a clean break. The medical staff on hand did a great job with a super response time,which is a blessing.However as "RUDY" previously posted "these are gnarly injuries" and he will be fortunate if all he loses is his football career. I have no medical training but spent enough time in operating rooms in a sales capacity to be worried. Years ago a quarterback for the Washington Redskins, Alex Smith , had a compound fracture, rehabilitated his leg for about 2years [I think that was the time frame but not sure] , came back , played a year, and was named NFL Comeback Player of The Year. This is from the memory of an 81 year old geezer so my time line for his recovery might  be off.

• Upvote 2

I watched the replay on ESPN+. Price was on his back and held up his left leg and it was bent at a 45 degrees in the middle. Ruder immediately held him down and the SFA staff covered his leg and attended to him. That is an awful injury and I pray for the best outcome.

• Upvote 2

This is maybe an odd thing to post, but I wonder if there is a way to find out how to send a Get Well card?  I would think privacy issues would prevent the athletic department from giving out that information.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NT93 said:

This is maybe an odd thing to post, but I wonder if there is a way to find out how to send a Get Well card?  I would think privacy issues would prevent the athletic department from giving out that information.

You should be able to send it to the AD with a note written on it to request it be forwarded on to him.  They should be able to gather them up and deliver them.
Of course that requires having a department filled with competent people.  I hope that is the case, but history shows that it is not a guarantee.

It's a good idea and I encourage you to follow through.  I'm trying to motivate myself to follow through on this as well.  Something about this injury hit me harder than a lot of other (even worse) ones I've seen.  I've got personal reasons that I think may be at play here.

• Upvote 5