****OFFICIAL SFA vs UNT In-Game DISCUSSION****

Harry

4 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

2-0 doesn’t happen very often around here. I’ll take it, ugly or not.

True. Glad you’re glass half full guy coz many are not…including myself. Until they prove themselves, I’ll be on the critical side

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Just now, 3_n_out said:

True. Glad you’re glass half full guy coz many are not…including myself. Until they prove themselves, I’ll be on the critical side

I’m critical too. There were a lot of things tonight to be concerned about, but I expect the offense to be better than they were tonight. Quite frankly, this game was closer than it should have been because of mistakes that don’t really seem to fit with what a Morris offense typically looks like. All that said, I’ll take 2-0.

• Upvote 4

Glad we got the W. Said in the other thread that if we only scored 35 pts in this game that I’d be very disappointed. And I am - with the offense. The 3rd string center being in there is brutal and caused all sorts of problems tonight. The snowballing of bad penalties with lack of discipline was hard to watch. 

Defense is still bad, but not AS bad as last year’s version, which was historically atrocious. Like last week, they have some moments and find a way off the field in some key situations. There are some positives to build on.

Turned the ball over 4 times and still could/should have scored 42 pts - kneeling it out at the 2 yd line. Tighten up offensively and we can win the next 2 if we play the way we are capable.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

A few thoughts after driving home...

• Our OL folded like a cheap suit almost immediately against SFA. Chandler is forced to be fast because the pocket collapses if it is ever established, which I think is contributing to his picks. This feels very Mason Fine UNT Football. It will ultimately lead to the quarterback getting hurt.

• Did the indefinitely suspended DL players kill someone?  Integrity and "do the right thing" are great, but let's not cut our nose off to spite our face.  

• The line for Cruits' getting tickets went from the BB ticket box down the sidewalk almost to the visiting team ticket box by the Alumni Pavilion.  This was just before 5:30p.  We also had 5-6 windows at the BB ticket box for recruits.  I've never seen so many, and so many windows dedicated to them.  Kudos to getting recruits there.  Let's ensure we don't 💩 the bed at the next home game if we continue to have that many potential recruits in the stands.

• The student section was as full as I've seen it in almost ten years. There were more kids than at the LA Tech 2018 game after we started 4-0 (and then collapsed). It's my understanding that the Maniacs from Baskeball are leading the Football student section organization. Keep that up, and let's not give the kids a reason not to go.

• There were metal detectors and yellow jacket CSC stadium security people in the Club section.  Did one of you fellow Hub Club ticket holders get out of jail?  

• Hub Club continues to be full of people I'm convinced don't pay for Hub Club tix.  

• I'm legit scared for Lubbock next week.  I'm still going, but if I get emotionally embarrassed by the football team's performance and somehow get hit in the head by a tortilla while in the stadium, I may need to sit out the rest of the season.
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Not the way I expected to win, but with all the transfer players from TCU, OK State, and Baylor, I suspect SFA is a much better FCS team than most. 2-0 is still 2-0. And Texas Tech didn't do anything in their loss that makes me think we can't compete with them next Saturday, if we can get a little healthier. 

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, CMJ said:

We don't usually go 2-0 to start the season.  I don't care how easy this game may have been on paper - a W is a W.

That was one of the least confidence inspiring wins I have witnessed from this team. Sloppy as hell and pushed around by an FCS team. Lots of giveaways and penalties. Morris wasn’t sharp and almost got his WR killed on that screen (and can we just get rid of that play please?). Defensively, they got lucky. The opposing QB missed several opportunities. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • RV 1

Our RB room just got obliterated tonight. I hope the Price kid is ok, but from the looks of it, he’s done for this season. Our hope now falls on the shoulder of Harris. Ragsdale, for the second week in a row, didn’t show me how a starting RB would look - no vision, no juice. I was hearing more from other kids kids during the Spring. Hopefully, they can step up and contribute. 

OL got embarrassed. Mercer/ Duncan need to get healthy ASAP. Our OTs need to get their heads out of their asses. Coaches probably need to get theirs out too. 

• Upvote 5

19 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

We were nearly Carthel’d.
That’s why guys like @SilverEagle @SUMG  and myself wanted his daddy Don instead of McCarney.  We would have gotten a two fer before Colby eventually won a natty at A@M Commerce.  Those dudes can coach!

Rick

Goes back further than that, buddy. Back when RV couldn't figure out who to hire (eventually settling on Dodge)....that's when some of us were pushing for Don Carthel. 

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

I’m critical too. There were a lot of things tonight to be concerned about, but I expect the offense to be better than they were tonight. Quite frankly, this game was closer than it should have been because of mistakes that don’t really seem to fit with what a Morris offense typically looks like. All that said, I’ll take 2-0.

The mistakes we saw tonight are fixable. Last years defense was not until it was overhauled.  I think we're going to be OK. 

• Upvote 7

It’s difficult to keep perspective sometimes while we’re in the middle of the game watching.  

but SFA’s offense is decent. I’m sure they were up a little extra given the opponent. We know how Carthel feels about NT. 

From week 1 to week 2 given the position they were constantly put in, I would say our defense looked much better. I would even say if they hadn’t played as well as they did we could’ve lost that game. 

offensively the injuries in the line were glaring. They played awful. Hopefully we do get our center back next week. 

as for our QB. I don’t know where his head was. Hopefully he gets it back. 

is it possible that they were looking ahead to TT? I wouldn’t think so.  But I have to think that Morris has that game circled 

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

It’s difficult to keep perspective sometimes while we’re in the middle of the game watching.  

During a post game press conference,  Tom Landry once said you can't trust what you think you saw during a game.  The game film always shows you weren't as good or bad as you thought at the time.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hunter Green said:

The mistakes we saw tonight are fixable. Last years defense was not until it was overhauled.  I think we're going to be OK. 

Hopefully Chandler got the bad game out of his system and the old line can get healthy. Hoping the injuries to the running backs are not severe but we have to now go with the next man up mentality to keep turning out some yards. On the defensive side of the ball I guess we're going to have to assume the three that was suspended will not be back this year. The defensive front does seem to be playing much better this year but I still worry about our loose coverage in the secondary and the fact that we still struggle to contain the quarterback. I think overall the most concerned I have from last night was the penalties. We ended up with I believe 15 penalties for 122 yards and I also believe that SFA declined 2 to 3 more.

• Upvote 2