Memphis Losing Top Assistant? (Rick Stansbury)

SUMG

A friend saw their team headed to their team bus, after we beat them here last year.

Said they were all cutting up, and having fun.....not the least bit down about the game.

Penny may be able to assemble great talent.....but he has no clue about turning them into a team. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MrAlien said:

It seems Penny has gone through more coaches then players... How do Memphis fans actually feel about Penny? 

I think they like him because he is one of their own, but their patience could be wearing thin.

4 hours ago, SUMG said:

A friend saw their team headed to their team bus, after we beat them here last year.

Said they were all cutting up, and having fun.....not the least bit down about the game.

Penny may be able to assemble great talent.....but he has no clue about turning them into a team. 

It's almost like they are trying to play an NBA style and our deliberate attack frustrated them.  I got the impression from watching the game that Penny isn't demanding enough on his players thus agreeing with your comment about not having a clue about how to turn them into a team.  It's almost like he is trying to get by on name recognition and wants to be friends with the players.  I would think his leash is getting pretty short.

• Upvote 1

How many well known pro players last very long coaching college teams? I'm trying to think of one successful one. Majerle, Thomas, Howard, Ewing, Manning,and Johnson come to mind. Mullin was okay but bailed pretty quickly. Stackhouse and Hardaway might be in trouble. Granted, most college coaches struggle but you'd think one pro would stick out. Bobby Hurley had a pretty short NBA career. A few more got hired this year. 

Not the route I'd go. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Lost more assistants today and now allegations of recruiting violations are rolling in.  Looks like the assistants are taking the fall for Penny.

What exactly is a recruiting violation in this day and age? 

• Upvote 3

Just my 2 cents, but I can understand when a coach has maybe one or two assistants doing something, but when "everyone" else is getting fired for wrongdoings, but the HC, you (school and AD) are either full of 💩, idiots, or both. I know Penny is the prodigal son, but how dirty does a program he runs have to get to pierce his Teflon coating?

• Eye Roll 1

• 2 weeks later...