Do FCS teams still have a chance against FBS opponents?

Has the clock struck midnight on FCS Cinderellas? There have been 61 games played so far this season between FBS and FCS teams. FBS teams are a combined 60-1 in those games. Montana State, ranked No. 4 in the FCS coaches' poll, took down New Mexico 35-31 in Albuquerque on Aug. 24, scoring twice in the final 4 ½ minutes to spoil Lobos coach Bronco Mendenhall's debut.

FCS programs lost by an average of 32.7 points. There were 10 losses of 50 points or more, 21 of 40 or more. SEC teams feasted more than others: Arkansas (Arkansas-Pine Bluff), Ole Miss(Furman), Tennessee(Chattanooga) and Auburn(Alabama A&M) won by a combined score of 288-6. The Paladins and Mocs are ranked Nos. 8 and 9 in the FCS poll, respectively.

"We can't compete with them anymore," one FCS head coach told ESPN. "They're taking all of our best players."

FCS teams are at the bottom of the food chain when it comes to the transfer portal. The FCS head coach said he lost his three best players to FBS programs after the 2023 season.

LINK:  https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/mondaytakeaways090224/2024-college-football-week-1-takeaways

• Upvote 1

I don't like this take. 

Tennessee Tech lost to MTSU in the last seconds. Ark State pulled out a miracle. Tech and TXSU barely won. Idaho and NDSU gave Oregon and Colorado big scares. Some other competitive games too.  

Texas, Alabama and OSU beat FBS teams by 167-6.

Sure, FCS teams are losing players, but so is everyone. Last year there were four FCS wins. 2021 there were twelve (that's crazy). Also some of the best FCS teams are playing tougher FCS teams. MAC teams aren't going to schedule the Dakota schools.  

I could be wrong but I doubt the vast percentage of FCS transfers are moving up to SEC contenders. A quick glance at Auburn's roster and I didn't see any FCS transfers. Saw a few AAC transfers though 😞

Wouldn't say one year (or one week) makes a trend. 

• Upvote 3