Monster Road Win!

MCMLXXX

On 9/1/2024 at 8:37 AM, Glory to the Green said:

She’s a UTSA grad.  I then gave her a 45 second recap of why I can’t stand UTSA.

Probably confused her.

Show her this.  Still one of my favorites after all these years.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/1/2024 at 10:12 AM, emmitt01 said:

I know some on this board have always resisted calling UTSA a “rival” but I think everything you need is there.  

- Share a league and play annually (yep)

- Close enough proximity to make games accessible for fans (yep)

- Play games that have meaning (yep, often)

- Genuine desire to beat them in, literally, everything (yep)

- Feeling that we are just plain better than them as people and as a university (yep)

Early on it was a manufactured rivalry, by the conference (C-USA) and some media types.  It was fake.  Rivalries should develop organically over time. This one has and is good for the conference.  However, doesn’t UTSA see Texas State as their main rival?

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

They do view Texas State as their rival but They do not like us. And they’ve had the upper hand in football, us in basketball. It’s more organic every year. I really want us to get them this year in the dome. Lots of football ahead.

GMG

• Upvote 1

On 9/1/2024 at 4:06 PM, NT80 said:

They had a 6-year starting elite QB.   As soon as they don't have an elite QB or Traylor leaves then you will see a decline. 

It's like when we had Mason Fine.  He left and we crashed.  Having an elite QB, or not, will make or break your team.  We've already seen it this season how Chandler Morris impacts the offense.

if you're argument is "once the head of their football program leaves, they won't be good" it's not a great argument

Back to the actual topic, I agree with the original poster, this is a huge win... 

For everyone that is unsure of how they feel about this defense/team, consider this... over the last 21 years (not including Saturday), UNT has only won 5 games against their first FBS opponent of the season (UTEP 2022, SMU 2018, Idaho 2013, Ball St. 2009, MTSU 2005). 

As silly as it sounds, the road to a winning season is a LOT easier when you start things off with a victory.

Props to coach Morris and let's keep it rolling.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Yeah I'd root for UTSA in the playoffs. I'd root for UTSA against Alabama. I rooted for them against Texas a couple years back. Anything to validate the AAC, especially in its current form after Houston, Cincy, and UCF left. If we don't want to be CUSA 2.0, we need every big win we can get as a conference. What's that saying? You're only as good as the company you keep? Yeah, it applies here too.

You'd root for your main rival to get program changing wins? That is so backwards to me. The AAC can still be a good conference without UTSA winning massive games. 

3 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

You'd root for your main rival to get program changing wins? That is so backwards to me. The AAC can still be a good conference without UTSA winning massive games. 

So you'd want your conference representative to get blown out on national TV in a playoff so that when your conference is evaluated everybody can point to the blowout and say you don't deserve a seat at the table? Ask me this question in 5 years after we as a conference get some playoff wins and my answer might be different. This year when they're already discussing redoing the playoff system? Give me every big win the conference can get.

UTSA winning a playoff game this year would likely result in them being ranked next year as well which brings credibility to the conference and opens doors for us. Remember who does the rankings: people. And those people have a partnership with ESPN as the network their show is on so they're looking for every reason to knock down the AAC especially with contract negotiations coming up. This is not the time for our conference champ to be humiliated in the postseason.

Edited by GMG_Dallas

On 9/2/2024 at 8:58 PM, NM Green said:

They do view Texas State as their rival 

I was in San Antonio most of the week and the local sportscasts ran birdsup stories every day and played it up as a rivalry.

However, as they noted, they have only played 5 games against each other (spread out over many years) and UTSA has won every game. They were expecting a sellout in San Marcos.

Edited by MCMLXXX