Monster Road Win!

MCMLXXX

5 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

I know some on this board have always resisted calling UTSA a “rival” but I think everything you need is there.  

Nope, I won't validate them!   As soon as their football crashes, like their other sports, then they will be nothing to us.  That's like saying UTA is a rival.   No way.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

35 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Nope, I won't validate them!   As soon as their football crashes, like their other sports, then they will be nothing to us.  That's like saying UTA is a rival.   No way.

While you wait for them to crash, remember that they have been ranked and performed far better than we have in the short time they’ve been in existence.

• Upvote 7

11 minutes ago, NT80 said:

I respect your view, but they’ve beat us in MBB, WBB, and women’s soccer. It’s definitely back and forth….and that’s what makes it fun. Especially when we ruined their undefeated season. 😂😂😂

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

While you wait for them to crash, remember that they have been ranked and performed far better than we have in the short time they’ve been in existence.

They had a 6-year starting elite QB.   As soon as they don't have an elite QB or Traylor leaves then you will see a decline. 

It's like when we had Mason Fine.  He left and we crashed.  Having an elite QB, or not, will make or break your team.  We've already seen it this season how Chandler Morris impacts the offense.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

22 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

10 of 14 AAC teams won their opening games. Two losses to P4s, and then Charlotte and Rice lost to FBS schools.

UNT was the only AAC team to win on the road, and the only AAC team to defeat an FBS opponent!

• Upvote 7

On 8/31/2024 at 10:05 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

10 of 14 AAC teams won their opening games. Two losses to P4s, and then Charlotte and Rice lost to FBS schools.

The Rice and CLT losses were embarrassing losses. 

The conference should dictate Rice to open up their gigantic pocketbook or get a pink slip. If they opened up 1% of their endowment to athletics, they could be on a P4 level in less than 5 years. Given we know those resources are there and they refuse to use them on athletics, then send them walking. Otherwise, why have them always limping around? 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

18 hours ago, NT80 said:

They had a 6-year starting elite QB.   As soon as they don't have an elite QB or Traylor leaves then you will see a decline. 

It's like when we had Mason Fine.  He left and we crashed.  Having an elite QB, or not, will make or break your team.  We've already seen it this season how Chandler Morris impacts the offense.

I think we beat UTSA this year but they still have some good talent at QB with transfer Owen McCown. Whether he works out is to be determined but I don't think this is when they crash completely.

10 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

The conference should dictate Rice to open up their gigantic pocketbook or get a pink slip. If they opened up 1% of their endowment to athletics, they could be on a P4 level in less than 5 years. Given we know those resources are there and they refuse to use them on athletics, then send them walking. Otherwise, why have them always limping around? 

A great point. It's like having a pro sports team that won't invest in its facilities. Reminds me of the Washington Redskins/Commanders whose owner was forced to sell in part because he wasn't investing in the franchise. If you're not investing what you can then why should you keep benefiting? I guess the AAC really wants that market.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I never root for UTSA. I hope TXST blows them out. Spare me the “it’s good for the AAC” reasoning. They’re our biggest rival and you never root for your main rival. 

I think I’m with you on this one. If Tulane was in the Playoff, I’d root for them. If UTSA somehow made the playoff, I’d be okay with them losing. I think it’s more because of the arrogance of the fans…I don’t have an issue with the coaches/players.  

• Eye Roll 1

21 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

I think I’m with you on this one. If Tulane was in the Playoff, I’d root for them. If UTSA somehow made the playoff, I’d be okay with them losing. I think it’s more because of the arrogance of the fans…I don’t have an issue with the coaches/players.  

Yeah I'd root for UTSA in the playoffs. I'd root for UTSA against Alabama. I rooted for them against Texas a couple years back. Anything to validate the AAC, especially in its current form after Houston, Cincy, and UCF left. If we don't want to be CUSA 2.0, we need every big win we can get as a conference. What's that saying? You're only as good as the company you keep? Yeah, it applies here too.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I guess the AAC really wants that market.

AAC’s strategy looks like they pick up schools that are located in major metros. Our endowments, academics, and student populations range from decent to amazing. I love our conference because I can fly in for a weekend to a game and enjoy a new city. Logistics for teams is easier than flying into places with no infrastructure. ECU is probably the only true college town in the conference. Tulsa- meh. 

I would support a run from anyone in the American because it helps UNT achieve its goal of financial, marketing, and athletic excellence. Watching FAU in the final 4 was awesome and inspired me to go there for a game. UTSA and the UT System is investing heavily into their athletic program https://www.utsa.edu/masterplan/pdfs/MP_Athletics.pdf. They’re going to be around for a long time. We need to get over a misplaced ego and work making UNT a destination for excellence. 

Edited by MeanGreenMat
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

https://riceowls.com/news/2021/10/29/general-rice-athletics-launches-100-million-capital-campaign

Rice has all the potential to remain competitive. However, I agree with everyone here in that I don’t see specific activities Rice Athletics can action to achieve excellence on the field. Money doesn’t mean much when you don’t know how to spend it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenMat said:

https://riceowls.com/news/2021/10/29/general-rice-athletics-launches-100-million-capital-campaign

Rice has all the potential to remain competitive. However, I agree with everyone here in that I don’t see specific activities Rice Athletics can action to achieve excellence on the field. Money doesn’t mean much when you don’t know how to spend it.

They have always had plenty of money they just never want to spend it.  SMU and TCU always did.