Rogers not starting for Cal

49 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

He didn’t start for North Texas in game 1 either, ULM probably had the same thought last season.

https://ulm.forums.rivals.com/threads/update-on-notable-players-who-left-ulm-after-2022.11511/ 

Can only see the first post but you can imagine their glee when he didn’t start and also stunk it up when he did see the field against Cal. I bet Chandler Rogers is wiping his tears with twenties. Whether he plays another down ever, you cannot turn down that kind of money at his age.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 6
  • Puking Eagle 2

5 hours ago, aztecskin said:

Interesting that Adeyi, Maclin, Rogers all had quiet days vs seemingly soft competition. Helps strengthen the idea that we aren’t missing them to hard. To be clear, I would still love having Maclin and Adeyi back. I think we upgraded at QB though. 

Both Cleveland and Johnson balled out at ACU

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

On 9/1/2024 at 5:29 PM, aztecskin said:

Interesting that Adeyi, Maclin, Rogers all had quiet days vs seemingly soft competition. Helps strengthen the idea that we aren’t missing them to hard. To be clear, I would still love having Maclin and Adeyi back. I think we upgraded at QB though. 

One game in, but we made a major upgrade at the QB position.  Stupid accuracy with a quick release.  We need him to stay healthy all season.  

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Cooley said:

I liked what I saw from Morris but why would anyone say he is an upgrade? What was there not to like about Rogers last year and his magical season?  

On a one game grade, Morris looks to be an upgrade.  Rogers was great.  Morris will have to show consistency and stay healthy, but it is possible that both are true…Rogers was a great QB for us, but Morris may be even better.  Great problem to have.

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

On a one game grade, Morris looks to be an upgrade.  Rogers was great.  Morris will have to show consistency and stay healthy, but it is possible that both are true…Rogers was a great QB for us, but Morris may be even better.  Great problem to have.

He could but I won’t say a major upgrade after 1 game. If Rogers would have returned and had another year like his only year he would have been UNT quality Hall of Fall worthy. Rogers was tough, gritty, accurate and a greater running threat. I wish him success with Cal and hope to see  Morris continue to shine as a Drew Brees clone.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

9 hours ago, Cooley said:

I liked what I saw from Morris but why would anyone say he is an upgrade? What was there not to like about Rogers last year and his magical season?  

Internet short hand on my part.  Read it as, "It's only one game in, but looks like we may have made..."  Rogers put up nice number, but was 5-5 as a starter.  With our defense last year, not his fault, but the QB tends to get more of the credit and more of the blame on team W-L records.  His 29 TDs to 5 INTs was great on 62.2% completions, but he was also sacked 33 times in those 10 games.  Porous line or did he hold on to the ball too long trying to make a play?  Rogers was very good in his one season here, but Morris may be even better.  As @TIgreen01 said, both can be true and good for us.

On Saturday, Morris went 32 for 41 (78% completion rate) for 415 yards with 3 TDs and 0 INTs.  No sacks and ran for 2 more TDs.  Close to flawless and not much more you can ask for from your QB.  By my untrained eye, he seemed to go through his reads/progressions quickly and had command of the offense from the first snap.  Does it keep up for the season?  Who knows?  Maybe we're better all around and South Alabama really wasn't a 6 or 7 point favorite and it all showed up in the QB stats.  

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Graddean said:

Addaway had 4 Carrie’s for ante of 5 yards for S, Carolina against Old Dominion.

Also, his longest rush was 5 yds so he had either no gain or even gain for 4 plays, then got one half-decent run. 

• Sad 1

If we're going to go into a comparison of Rogers vs Morris, one thing that stood out to me from both TCU film and our first game was Morris seemed to understand the offense better. He got through his reads quicker and he took the checkdowns and what the defense gave him. Morris also got the ball out a lot quicker which limited sacks (did he even get sacked Saturday?)

In contrast, Rogers held on to the ball a long time last year, at times refusing to take the checkdown. I don't know if he was going through his reads or if the line play was so bad he felt like he had to move out of the pocket a lot to find the open man, but he seemed to have less command of the play itself (not the offense, but the play). That said, he was a baller and found a way which I really liked about him. But I think that's why (as others have said) Stone got the starting job last year at first. In practice, Stone was going through his progressions like the system dictates and I suspect that is why Rogers didn't get the starting job at Cal. He's one of those QBs that when the game lights come on, they find a way forward. No panic and all poise on field.

And I think that's what's most similar between Rogers and Morris. The poise on field, no panic, and having a commanding presence on the field. I also think year 2 of Rogers in this system may have yielded similar results to what we saw from Morris on Saturday. But we'll never know now.

• Upvote 6

On 9/1/2024 at 9:55 PM, peanuts104 said:

Both Cleveland and Johnson balled out at ACU

Yeah sure but I mentioned Rogers, Adeyi, Maclin as they were our 3K, 1K, 1K guys. Cleveland got hurt and Johnson got lost in the shuffle. I wouldn't have hated them coming back. 

12 hours ago, Cooley said:

https://open.substack.com/pub/meangreennation/p/2024-week-two-the-morning-after-south?r=du4qo&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web&showWelcomeOnShare=true 

I mention some reasons even thought I think you are joking? 

• Upvote 2