***OFFICIAL UNT vs. SOUTH ALABAMA IN-GAME DISCUSSION***

Harry

6 hours ago, outoftown said:

2. Because USAs Offense shot itself in the foot several times with untimely/unnecessary penalties that turned potential TDs into FGs and stopped drives.

The defense did not play well in the first half, but they did play better in the second. As far as USA shooting themselves in the foot, one could say maybe the defense influenced those mistakes. A lot of times when O linemen false start, they are doing so trying to beat a defensive linemen that has been pressuring them. Sometimes offenses hold because if they don't, the defender makes the stop. I would have to analyze the game which I am not because I am not the coach, but could it be that our defense influenced some of their offensive mistakes? I just ask the question. I am sure there are guys much smarter than me who can answer that or maybe I am just looking for hope that this defense has improved.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Venson said:

I went to the game so I am not sure how it looked on TV or online. If you are referring to design, the sideline brick is a lot like DATCU. However, if you are referring to color, not so much. Theirs is a much more red brick.

On TV it looked a lot like our color brick and you also saw as much of it on the sideline as you do at DATCU.

Fans leaving en masse at halftime is weird to me. Why did you bother to go if you weren't going to stay for the whole thing? It was a five-point game!

This is just like when I was a kid and my dad would drive us from Richardson to Arlington to see a Rangers game and then he wanted to leave in the seventh inning. YOU DROVE A WHOLE HOUR TO GET HERE OLD MAN CAN WE JUST STAY TWO MORE INNINGS DAMMIT.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, UNT Family Man said:

Agreed, but seeing how Morris did last year we won’t see either of them 

You're not implying coach Morris would intentionally try to put up stats over preparing the team are you (sarcasm intended)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, rcade said:

On TV it looked a lot like our color brick and you also saw as much of it on the sideline as you do at DATCU.

Fans leaving en masse at halftime is weird to me. Why did you bother to go if you weren't going to stay for the whole thing? It was a five-point game!

This is just like when I was a kid and my dad would drive us from Richardson to Arlington to see a Rangers game and then he wanted to leave in the seventh inning. YOU DROVE A WHOLE HOUR TO GET HERE OLD MAN CAN WE JUST STAY TWO MORE INNINGS DAMMIT.

Baseball games stop selling beer in the 7th inning. That's why your dad wanted to leave.

As for south alabama fans, it's likely because the beer ran out or their buzz was wearing off.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

You're not implying coach Morris would intentionally try to put up stats over preparing the team are you (sarcasm intended)

I would hope if we're up big in a game that coach would vote to give backup QBs some experience while also protecting QB1 from unnecessary risk at the expense of padding stats.

• Upvote 2

On 9/1/2024 at 12:55 AM, 97and03 said:

Downvote from me for complaining about a downvote. But agree that we don’t seem to be progressing. Second half adjustments would be something we have not seen since 2013.

We didn’t have a turnover, and I am not sure that has been emphasized enough. 
In that note, our one takeaway was on ST and not defense - and I think mostly their punter messing up. 
On a related note, our offense only score 45, not 52. But that should be enough to win games if the defense has a pulse. 
on another related note, our returners looked like they could be a weapon for us this year. 

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 5

4 hours ago, 97and03 said:

We didn’t have a turnover, and I am not sure that has been emphasized enough. 
In that note, our one takeaway was on ST and not defense - and I think mostly their punter messing up. 
On a related note, our offense only score 45, not 52. But that should be enough to win games if the defense has a pulse. 
on another related note, our returners looked like they could be a weapon for us this year. 

Technically I wouldn't call it a takeaway.   We didn't block the punt.  The punter, after muffing the snap, simply punted the ball into the back of his own protector in front of him.  I don't recall ever seeing that in a game before, lol. 

We did recover the ball in the endzone for a TD, but it was more like a muffed snap over the punter's head and recovery than a takeaway on our part.  Good effort of our ST regardless. 

• Upvote 2

On 9/1/2024 at 10:48 PM, 3_n_out said:

I do agree the defense played a bit better and seemed tougher compared to last year. They had timely stops in the second half, tightened up and kept fighting. However, they haven’t quite solved the poor tackling issues that plagued them last season. And, I don’t understand how this defense has three safeties…THREE…yet give up deep passes. The total yardage and points given up is quite disheartening since that’s all we saw last season. Would be nice to have some “comfortable “ wins, but the optics from the current defense suggests otherwise. It early, but I hope it’ll be proven wrong. I’ll gladly eat my words. If not, Caponi should never be allowed to step foot in Texas again. 

I would say that two touchdowns is a comfortable win...

• Upvote 1

• KingDL1 unpinned this topic
5 hours ago, golfingomez said:

I would say that two touchdowns is a comfortable win...

Watching the game, I never had the feeling of impending doom like I did last year.  I don't know why, but even when we were behind, I never felt like we weren't going to win.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, wardly said:

UTUBE has highlights of our game. Just type in "UNT/UTSA highlights". It is a SBC broadcast but shows most of our highlights and is well done,

Can you please link this directly? The won't let us have youtube on my work computer.

I forgot to comment on this after going to Mobile for the USA game...

Their scoreboard is AWESOME (other than the iPhone 13 style notch at the top of it).  Makes me more embarrassed of our tiny square scoreboard that they now want to move to the corner with the Athletic Center remodel.

Getting fans into their stadium was a Cluster F though.  Wanding every fan instead of having walk through metal detectors is a bad setup.

And charging $5.50 for a bottle of Dasani should be illegal.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, NT80 said:

NW State hasn't won a game since Nov. 2022.  They suspended their season last year after an 0-6 start when a player was killed and they fired the coach.  

And yet they put up 28 against Tulsa and didn’t have to abbreviate the 4th quarter against them. I think South Alabama will be one of the best opponents we face this season, especially offensively.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

So South Alabama has a really good offense and our D made some key stops not letting them really get going until the game was basically over late?

SFA DOES have a good offense and has P4 transfers all over the roster and our D held them to 13 points?

Maybe our D after 2 weeks is a little improved from last year?

Eye Watching GIF by RIOT MUSIC

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 2