***OFFICIAL UNT vs. SOUTH ALABAMA IN-GAME DISCUSSION***

Harry

Just now, wardly said:

Defense was SOLID? You have to be shitting me. Terrible missed field goal ? Anything over 40 yards is not automatic.

Just now, wardly said:

Defense was SOLID? You have to be shitting me. Terrible missed field goal ? Anything over 40 yards is not automatic.

Opps. I was posting in response to meangreennation. I don't know how it ended up on "aztecskin". My bad.

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Not to bag on Ragsdale, but he does not run tough. Maybe a hangover from last years injury, but that stuff at the goal line in the first half was awful. He wanted to walk in instead of putting his head down and bulling in. On defense, Weslosky looks slow and weak. Not impressed. Brian Nelson's missed blindside sack is a sign of weakness. A stronger upper body would have prevented him from being thrown off like a rag doll. 

Do we know about Jett Duncan's injury?

I must agree with you. I didn’t like how #2 was weak on tackles and seemed to have been picked on with the pass. A few times, our DE had his back turned completely as the QB ran towards the same side. 

• Upvote 3
  • RV 1

5 minutes ago, wardly said:

Opps. I was posting in response to meangreennation. I don't know how it ended up on "aztecskin". My bad.

I mean I think the defense was solid relative to expectations. 582 is a lot of yards and USA moved it easily in the first. But in the context of the game they got stops, and forced the punt that allowed the block/TD. 

I simply have accepted the reality that this isn’t going to be a shut-down kind of defense and we’ll need to score to win. The defense did their job in that context and I am satisfied. 

Of course I do want improvement etc, but that’s a long-term recruiting, scheme evolution thing. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

I am letting go of all negativity. There's 70 new players what the hell do I know? There's lot of things that go in to making a good FBS coach, only recently has how well does your team gel in one off season to the next vaulted to near the top, maybe Morris is one of the best at that. 

GMG! Expecting a win today.

The negativity seeped in to me at halftime but I will remain positive until given a reason not to be. Morris is the real deal, we have multiple playmakers, defense be damned this is a bowl team at minimum.

GMG!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

Some want to dwell on the defense (understandably) but I’m wanting to focus on the offense. It was so efficient and effortless. No fluky plays. Just guys getting open and Morris putting the ball on a rope. To beat us, teams are going to have to go score for score. And they may be able to for stretches, but can they for the whole game? South Alabama couldn’t. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I started watching at the start of the 2nd half and it was 20-6 and the place was a ghost town. 

There was a three hour delay at halftime for lightning.  Up to halftime it was full.

• Upvote 2

I will be nicer than many here about the defense. They still aren't good. But they are better than Game 1 last year. While they gave up a lot of yards, they had key stops. Three three-and-outs in the first four seconds half possessions after no stops in the first was huge. I wasn't optimistic trailing at half with USA getting the ball first.

Also, we didn't give up too many big plays, and we didn't look embarrassingly bad too often like we did against Cal.

• Upvote 5

Amazing passing team. A+
Special teams all good except FGs of 40+   B-
Defense better against run.  Pass defense C- but only that due to solid CBs.   Safeties returning from suspension may help. Need DE pass rush badly 

Team character A.

• Upvote 4

I honestly saw improvement on the defensive side of the ball. There was a sack Lopez slipped out of that led to a USA score which was disappointing but the tackling was better otherwise.

Looking at stats is great but you also need to look at when points were scored. We won the 3rd quarter 28-7. There's your game. They had 98 yards in the 3rd quarter and went 3-and-out 3 times. They showed they're capable. 4th quarter Defense was a bend don't break approach which is why USA got yards. When the game was still close, the defense showed they were capable of making plays.

• Upvote 5

9 hours ago, Green Lantern said:

The offense was impressive to watch today. Morris is so poised out there. Ward and the WR group was fun to watch. Defense managed a few key plays. Still concerned on that side of the ball. 

Happy with a big road W to start the year!

This.  The defense needs a lot of work but, man, the offense was damn good.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, aztecskin said:

simply have accepted the reality that this isn’t going to be a shut-down kind of defense and we’ll need to score to win. The defense did their job in that context and I am satisfied. 

Agreed.  Just worry about how this will work with the better squads like UTSA and Memphis.

20 minutes ago, UNT Family Man said:

Road win is good. 
Defense is pathetic. 580 yards,  30+ pts, and our run game looked like trash. 

With the kind of pass game we have we can out score several. 5-7 win team. 

You (and others) don’t seem to be giving any credit or blame to USA.  We score 52 so our offense is awesome.  We give up 38 so our defense is trash.  Is it not possible that we scored 52 because USA’s defense is pathetic and gave up 38 because their offense is really good.  The reality is somewhere in the middle of those extremes.  

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I honestly saw improvement on the defensive side of the ball. There was a sack Lopez slipped out of that led to a USA score which was disappointing but the tackling was better otherwise.

Looking at stats is great but you also need to look at when points were scored. We won the 3rd quarter 28-7. There's your game. They had 98 yards in the 3rd quarter and went 3-and-out 3 times. They showed they're capable. 4th quarter Defense was a bend don't break approach which is why USA got yards. When the game was still close, the defense showed they were capable of making plays.

I couldn’t care less about yards, but 38 points is too many. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Good take 👆

And I would tend to Agree....I think some (me included) are still shell shocked by how bad the D was last year, so to watch a game where they had no answer for our offense and we took complete control of the game in the 3rd quarter and still sat there in the 4th never feeling like we had the game won was frustrating.....

Hopefully we get the week 1 to week 2 improvement and the offense just keeps rolling

• Upvote 4

Credit where it is due, very good road win. Offense looked great. One thing I didn't see mentioned is the offensive line, they looked stout and defended Morris well all night. Let's hope that's a trend we see all year.

Defense still needs a lot of work, too many open receivers and missed tackles. We need them to step it up considerably or we are not going to be able to keep up with better teams.

• Upvote 1