QB TRANSFERS HAVE TAKEN OVER COLLEGE FOOTBALL

43 of the 68 power conference teams are projected to start transfer QBs this week — a stunning 63% clip that shows how transient college football has become.

And get this: Of those 43 projected starters, 30 are in their first year at their new school.

From Yahoo Sports' Ross Dellenger:

Unusual if not downright rare years ago, such a leap — team rookie to starting QB — is often now the norm when a QB starter at one power conference school moves to another.

In fact, there are first-year transfer starting QBs at many conference champion favorites and expected CFP contenders like Ohio State (Will Howard), Oregon (Dillon Gabriel), Notre Dame (Riley Leonard) and Miami (Cam Ward).

Those four players are believed to be among the highest-paid in college football, each having entered NIL contracts paying them high six figures and even into the seven-figure range. The high rate of QB movement isn't rooted in only playing time — it’s rooted in money.

What they're saying: “If you are trying to get a starting QB with Power Four experience to transfer, you are in the $1.5 million range,” said Russell White, president of The Collective Association (TCA), a group of more than 30 NIL collectives from across the country.

LINK: https://sports.yahoo.com/familiar-faces-new-places-qb-transfers-have-taken-over-college-football-125603758.html?.tsrc=1317&ncid=crm_-1383767-20240829-1&bt_user_id=evwCCtiSl3yyfrorhbvU%2Bw4e%2Bu2AXi6nwZhpHLgAZgx5%2FsWrEmmgZIkMd5yxKEB3GCMgzDdLT6OxhN8kxK4d0p6ughTGzB9U%2BWe4noEQE%2Bz7qg4JRMCCNreHURj05182&bt_ts=1724934971160

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

It is what it is....

The first game is tomorrow. I'll cheer for the team wearing my school's uniform. I know who the QB is and maybe a few other players. Don't really care about most of the individuals on the team. Just going to hope the 11 on the field are winning.

Won't care about most of the individuals next season and don't really care about our recruiting because they won't all be here next season anyway. I'll do the same thing next year and the next year, etc.

I don't have a judgement on it positive or negative.....This is just the new world. Go Mean Green football team. Whoever is wearing the uniform. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I do find it interesting that the millionaire legacy coaches that have had it their way for years are now whining about it. (Dabo and Mike Gundy come to mind, Nick Saban quit because of it)

Interesting to watch....

Yeah they are complete hypocrites and that should continually be pointed out. They had no scruples signing 8-9 figure contracts while their players were compensated with the equivalent of a $30k-$50k a year scholarship with no opportunity to earn more while the sport they competed in became a billion-dollar industry.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Yeah they are complete hypocrites and that should continually be pointed out. They had no scruples signing 8-9 figure contracts while their players were compensated with the equivalent of a $30k-$50k a year scholarship with no opportunity to earn more while the sport they competed in became a billion-dollar industry.

and they could jump to any job they wanted for more money at any time all the while I'm sure they were preaching "commitment" 

If it's gonna be the wild wild west than so be it. Some "student" athletes are going to get destroyed by this eventually, more lawsuits, careers ruined but that's the world we live in now. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

It is what it is....

The first game is tomorrow. I'll cheer for the team wearing my school's uniform. I know who the QB is and maybe a few other players. Don't really care about most of the individuals on the team. Just going to hope the 11 on the field are winning.

Won't care about most of the individuals next season and don't really care about our recruiting because they won't all be here next season anyway. I'll do the same thing next year and the next year, etc.

I don't have a judgement on it positive or negative.....This is just the new world. Go Mean Green football team. Whoever is wearing the uniform. 

I guarantee you this is the way most fans at every school feel, yet players are making millions through NIL.  Ironic.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I think some (not me) argue that the student athlete is not in the same conversation or consideration for the same treatment or pay as employees or coaches.  That the entire point of college athletics was to help facilitate students getting their education first.  So, it shouldn't matter how much the coaches are getting paid.

Obviously, the industry has benefited richly from these students to the tune of millions/billions.  So, I think it has forced some to reconsider.  Some won't, though.

The next phase of this is, if being the student does not de-facto rule you out of compensation, then where is the de-facto age barrier? Because we are now heading towards HS athletes getting their own compensation.

Do we keep going? Maybe PeeWee athletes in the not-so-distant future?

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

I think some (not me) argue that the student athlete is not in the same conversation or consideration for the same treatment or pay as employees or coaches.  That the entire point of college athletics was to help facilitate students getting their education first.  So, it shouldn't matter how much the coaches are getting paid.

Obviously, the industry has benefited richly from these students to the tune of millions/billions.  So, I think it has forced some to reconsider.  Some won't, though.

The next phase of this is, if being the student does not de-facto rule you out of compensation, then where is the de-facto age barrier? Because we are now heading towards HS athletes getting their own compensation.

Do we keep going? Maybe PeeWee athletes in the not-so-distant future?

I reject this slippery slope fallacy. It’s unsubstantiated fear mongering that you’ll only ever really see being pushed by people trying to curtail player power being gained through NIL.

If a high-profile recruit can have some value in the private sector marketing product, for example, they absolutely should be able to. But we are not heading to a place where wholesale these high-school student athletes are heading towards a labor/compensation dispute.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

I will be curious to see how the students support the team. Many already resented the athletes for the benefits they received and now they are essentially being paid a salary while students are being charged an athletic’s fee to help support the program/players. 

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I reject this slippery slope fallacy. It’s unsubstantiated fear mongering that you’ll only ever really see being pushed by people trying to curtail player power being gained through NIL.

If a high-profile recruit can have some value in the private sector marketing product, for example, they absolutely should be able to. But we are not heading to a place where wholesale these high-school student athletes are heading towards a labor/compensation dispute.

You know who is losing out in this “player power” era? The women’s soccer players and dozens of other athletes in other sports who are getting their rosters reduced by 50% or more so more revenue can be directed to the football players who are already getting their school paid for and their bank accounts overflowing with NIL. 

You know who isn’t going to be hurting under the new system? The football coaches who everyone complains make too much money and switch schools too much. Those guys are going to keep making that money and they will still do whatever they want. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

One might say you're doing a good job just talking about what NIL was supposed to be about and not the pay for play that this has become. I think what put off a lot of people is the fact that players are being paid to play and there's no way around it it's doing some bogus appearances

• Upvote 2