Jon Wilner mailbag: Likelihood of a super league (or super teams), ACC sustainability, the CFP’s future, WSU/OSU and more

NT80

It’s a great article. My feeling is that if the next breakaway is to form the new level of college football to be like the NFL, then it will be a 32team setup, which will include biggest state schools with largest fan bases and stadiums. That’s these  28 schools for sure:

Washington, Oregon, USC, UCLA, Texas, A&M, OU, Nebraska. Iowa. Wisconsin, Michigan, MSU, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Penn State, Virginia Tech, UNC, Clemson. South Carolina, Georgia, FSU, Florida, Miami, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, and Arkansas. 

There are maybe a few more schools you can consider but Wilner’s point is that TV wants big names and some of these current power teams aren’t bringing value like the ones listed above. Now, could the threat of litigation from individual states get some of their power schools included still? I’d guess yes. So states like Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Mississippi, Kentucky, Maryland, and West Virginia might get some of their schools into the new league, just to appease anyone with any legal power from suing.  But it will happen within 10 years, at a maximum.

• Upvote 3

Berry Tramel: Mid-major transfers are the new juco players (tulsaworld.com)

Another way that college football is adapting:

Behind a paywall, but interesting article from the Tulsa World last week that references North Texas a few times as an example of how the Major Leagues are moving from the JUCOs to Mid-Majors for their minor league call ups.

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

44 minutes ago, untcampbell said:

Behind a paywall, but interesting article from the Tulsa World last week that references North Texas a few times as an example of how the Major Leagues are moving from the JUCOs to Mid-Majors for their minor league call ups.

GMG

Yes, there are very little academic worries for brining over a transfer from a university as opposed to a JUCO.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, untcampbell said:

GMG

Without a doubt, the #1 thing sapping my interest this year...even though we're benefitting, ourselves, from pulling from the lower divisions.  The business side of the sport taking over front and center is what all the talking head media people have wanted for years, but not the overwhelming majority of the actual fans of the sport.  When business takes over, the fun runs out. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Without a doubt, the #1 thing sapping my interest this year...even though we're benefitting, ourselves, from pulling from the lower divisions.  The business side of the sport taking over front and center is what all the talking head media people have wanted for years, but not the overwhelming majority of the actual fans of the sport.  When business takes over, the fun runs out. 

So true!  My interest is lower this year than any other.  They took the fun away.  I have better things I can do with my time.

Edited by Jonnyeagle
  • Upvote 2