***Important Message From Coach Ross Hodge***

49 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Man, even the blue bloods are having problems replenishing their NIL these days. 
I don’t think NIL is a sustainable business model. 

I do give the Mean Green Collective a monthly bank donation, but would I do that for the Dallas Cowboys or the Dallas Mavericks (teams I am a fan of)? Hell no, I wouldn’t.

What is going to happen to NIL when these players start to get a cut of the revenue share (not that there is much revenue to go around in Denton)? 

I too am giving monthly and am proud to do what I can.  You raise a valid point, everything is pointing to this NIL stuff going to revenue share and moving to the athletic department.   It seems like all the money that was in past earmarked for capital projects is being redirected to NIL now.

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

Some of the SEC schools are trying to get a 50/50 raffle for NIL going. 
Once this money is spent, it is spent. It’s not like donating towards a building that retains value and equity. 
These NIL campaigns will never end (until system changes). And even if you raise $5M like Arkansas basketball did this year, your players are going to want $6M. 
Hope all of my fellow Mean Green fans are supporting our NIL. 

• Upvote 3

NIL is a huge topic of conversation at my house, from the forming of light the tower, to the transition of light the tower to linkU, to the formation of Mean Green Collective, to now personal stuff we are doing to support.

NIL looks nothing like it did 3 years ago, and as I sit here right now it will look nothing like it does today a year from now.  The way that it is and will be administered is so fluid that you never really know what the rules are.  In the beginning the big schools just did whatever they wanted, and schools like us (donors and supporters) tried desperately to follow the rules.  In the end the rules just shifted to what the big schools (cheating in the beginning) were doing.

Bottom line is this.  We all need to participate in any way we can with NIL to stay competitive.  With this revenue sharing thing that is on the senate floor as we speak coming in January, no one really knows what next year will bring.

I don't like these one year "contracts" with the players.  It's just awful.  Nobody wants to throw money at something knowing there is basically zero chance of that thing staying around.  But that is what is in front of us right now.  I have to think that at some point we will get back to a model of at least 2 seasons and maybe the sit out "redshirt" thing again if transfer.  We will see.

As of now, I am supporting NIL any way I can.  I will be putting a team in the tournament and I encourage some of you to do the same.

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, flyonthewall said:

NIL is a huge topic of conversation at my house, from the forming of light the tower, to the transition of light the tower to linkU, to the formation of Mean Green Collective, to now personal stuff we are doing to support.

NIL looks nothing like it did 3 years ago, and as I sit here right now it will look nothing like it does today a year from now.  The way that it is and will be administered is so fluid that you never really know what the rules are.  In the beginning the big schools just did whatever they wanted, and schools like us (donors and supporters) tried desperately to follow the rules.  In the end the rules just shifted to what the big schools (cheating in the beginning) were doing.

Bottom line is this.  We all need to participate in any way we can with NIL to stay competitive.  With this revenue sharing thing that is on the senate floor as we speak coming in January, no one really knows what next year will bring.

I don't like these one year "contracts" with the players.  It's just awful.  Nobody wants to throw money at something knowing there is basically zero chance of that thing staying around.  But that is what is in front of us right now.  I have to think that at some point we will get back to a model of at least 2 seasons and maybe the sit out "redshirt" thing again if transfer.  We will see.

As of now, I am supporting NIL any way I can.  I will be putting a team in the tournament and I encourage some of you to do the same.

Appreciate your insight @flyonthewall and your analysis is spot on.  You and your groups’ support has been critical and is much appreciated by all of us.

Look, I get that a lot of fans dislike NIL, heck I don't love it myself, but I do care about UNT and our ability to compete and provide continuity to the success we have already achieved.  As a quick reminder, we beat Memphis last year at home and beat LSU on the road in the NIT.  The year before we won the whole damn NIT!  And before that went a couple rounds in the NCAA tourney and beat Purdue.  And from what I understand this year’s team could be very good!

I am grateful to those who have stepped up and helped.  You know who you are and have been recognized here and will continue to be.    Please do what you can to support us, and I hope many of you will.   If you don't want to, that is fine too.  Just do us a favor and don't come in here and kick us in the nuts about it.  This golf tournament is a new way to help out on NIL and the interest so far has been really good!   Believe me we get the reasons and the frustration about the whole NIL thing - more than you know.  And yet, we still must persevere.  GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

• Harry pinned this topic