2-Deep for South Alabama opener 2024

Intrigued by our huge backup LT.....Keon Johnson. 6'4", 396.

Not much on him at the official site....as it looks like some of the info in the bio is wrong. 

He's from Akron Ohio.....and was good enough as a junior to visit Syracuse. I don't remember him in any signing class. He's listed as a R-Fr.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/massive-2023-ol-keon-johnson-enjoys-syracuse-visit-hoping-for-offer

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, SUMG said:

Not much on him at the official site....as it looks like some of the info in the bio is wrong. 

He's from Akron Ohio.....and was good enough as a junior to visit Syracuse. I don't remember him in any signing class. He's listed as a R-Fr.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/massive-2023-ol-keon-johnson-enjoys-syracuse-visit-hoping-for-offer

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, greenb.o.g. said:

Wow ... we've got a Division II transfer and a 5-8, 165, Division I-AA transfer holding down the secondary. Plus, Ethan Wesloski starting at linebacker.

Here we go again ... 😣

I saw that as well.  We are very small on defense period.  Shameful that they let that happen again!

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, greenb.o.g. said:

Wow ... we've got a Division II transfer and a 5-8, 165, Division I-AA transfer holding down the secondary. Plus, Ethan Wesloski starting at linebacker.

Here we go again ... 😣

From all reports, Jayden Hill is going to have a great season!   Maizen Richard’s was also a D2 transfer and he was pretty good for us. 
Spiruells should be good, too. He was forced to start due to Isheem Young, our P4 transfer, getting injured.   I don’t think this is the same old story again.  

• Upvote 4
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1

32 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

From all reports, Jayden Hill is going to have a great season!   Maizen Richard’s was also a D2 transfer and he was pretty good for us. 
Spiruells should be good, too. He was forced to start due to Isheem Young, our P4 transfer, getting injured.   I don’t think this is the same old story again.  

Plus....Ridge Texada came to us from McNeese State. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, greenb.o.g. said:

Here we go again ... 😣

D2 Transfer has played a lot of football. The guy behind the 5'8 165 Safety is 6'0 200 pounds and played at North Shore. I'm not too concerned about the secondary yet. Give me a few weeks and I'll tell you if that changes lol.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

22 hours ago, SUMG said:

I was intrigued by him last year, as he was a walk-on.  I think it took them a while to find a helmet to work for  him as well.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, meangreenfaninno said:

I saw that as well.  We are very small on defense period.  Shameful that they let that happen again!

Outside of Spruills and Texada, who are you considering "very small"?

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Outside of Spruills and Texada, who are you considering "very small"?

I would say our DBs are somewhat short and a little light if looking at the full two deep for corners and safeties. Still not as short as our WRs, so we’ve got that going for us.  

Edited by 97and03
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 8/26/2024 at 7:14 PM, jtm0097 said:

D2 Transfer has played a lot of football. The guy behind the 5'8 165 Safety is 6'0 200 pounds and played at North Shore. I'm not too concerned about the secondary yet. Give me a few weeks and I'll tell you if that changes lol.

I don't care about the guy behind the 5-8, 165 pound safety. The fact that a 5-8, 165 pound safety is starting is the problem.

• Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, greenb.o.g. said:

I don't care about the guy behind the 5-8, 165 pound safety. The fact that a 5-8, 165 pound safety is starting is the problem.

He played as a true freshman at Northern Arizona. Take a look at his film, he'll light your ass up.

The guy behind him had offers from UT, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Purdue, and Indiana. We will be fine at that position.

https://247sports.com/recruitment/jayven-anderson-147702/recruitinterests/

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

He played as a true freshman at Northern Arizona. Take a look at his film, he'll light your ass up.

The guy behind him had offers from UT, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Purdue, and Indiana. We will be fine at that position.

https://247sports.com/recruitment/jayven-anderson-147702/recruitinterests/

Well, I hope so ...

• Upvote 1

On 8/26/2024 at 5:56 PM, Marty said:

What's wrong with Wesloski starting? I thought he was pretty solid last year for a RS Freshman.  Finished 3rd in tackles.

Tackles after the ball carrier has already passed you or when the wide receiver caught the ball behind you shouldn't count. 😉

• Downvote 2

3 hours ago, greenb.o.g. said:

Yeah.  It really shouldn’t matter if he’s any good or not.  Being 5’8”/165lbs should preclude him from being a starter.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 3

I wonder how many of the Mean Green starters in the trenches are Juniors or Seniors? I read in an article a season or so ago about Dana H the coach from Houston who was really excited about his team’s depth of Seniors and fifth year players. How does the Mean Green look experience-wise? 

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, ChiefTenBeers2015 said:

I wonder how many of the Mean Green starters in the trenches are Juniors or Seniors? I read in an article a season or so ago about Dana H the coach from Houston who was really excited about his team’s depth of Seniors and fifth year players. How does the Mean Green look experience-wise? 

The answers you seek are right there on the depth chart, young grasshopper

• Upvote 3