AAC Exit Fees

45 minutes ago, rcade said:

My prediction is a 36-team SEC and Big 10 functioning like a collegiate NFL, raking in staggering amounts of money while everybody else is on the outside fighting for tablescraps. And SMU won't be able to buy their way into that club even if they forego all TV revenue until the heat death of the universe.

It does seem to be trending that way.  

• Upvote 1

On 8/23/2024 at 11:06 AM, MeanGreenGlory said:

Given how the PAC12 dissolved in a matter of weeks out of nowhere, I don't consider anything regarding realignment out of the realm of possibility now.

However, what's A&M's incentive to leave the SEC for the BIG10? They're already in one of the two dominant conferences. Unless the BIG10 provides a stellar offer to get into Texas, I just don't see the motivating factor for them to leave the SEC. 

IF—and that's a big if—Texas A&M does leave the SEC, I think the SEC would be more likely to try to backfill with a powerhouse or two from the ACC and attempt to figure out how to break ACC media deal. If that's off the table and the SEC turned to the BIG12 to get another a Texas school, I think Baylor or TCU would fit the bill better than Texas Tech.

If TCU ended up being the SEC pick and we had a stronger recent winning history in football and basketball, I could see us being a legit backfill addition for the BIG12. The BIG12 wouldn't want to lose the DFW presence, and given our location, facilities, and student body/alumni size, we could realistically catch up to the likes of those remaining in the BIG12 with the increased conference/media funding.

So...it's possible, and Mosley & Co. should be preparing for it. Because if it isn't that, then a reconstructed PAC with the best of AAC and MWC is the next best option (and likely more realistic), so either way, we want to be in a great position to be included and take advantage of the next shift. 

All of these are great points, but the most important thing is for us to win and win consistently. Increasing our attendance and NIL coffers are also a must.

• Upvote 2

On 8/24/2024 at 9:54 AM, rcade said:

Same. Who knew that SMU fans were experts on conference media rights contracts and multi-state jurisdictional disputes? They must have stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

According to a contracts/patent/trademarks who was recently on the "Big Mountain" he is correct on this. The attorney said that the only trial that is reverent is the one in North Carolina where the ACC is headquartered and the original grant of rights contract was signed and that both the Florida and South Carolina trials are about state sovereignty [he didn't go into an explanation of state sovereignty]. The bottom line is that for FSU and Clemson to prevail they must convince the judge that the ACC put a gun to their heads and forced them to sigh a contract that has paid them 10's of millions of dollars since its inception. This is the only issue, and good luck with that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, wardly said:

According to a contracts/patent/trademarks who was recently on the "Big Mountain" he is correct on this.

There are lawyers weighing in with all kinds of hot sports opinions on what is going to happen. SMU fans here were predicting the FSU lawsuit would be dismissed. Instead that lawsuit and counterlawsuits are proceeding in Florida, South Carolina and North Carolina and the attorneys general in all three states are involved.

Anyone who is certain about the outcome of all of that, and that it will definitely help their school, is doing more wishing than thinking.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 2

On 8/23/2024 at 11:12 AM, wardly said:

Agreed, and I wish you guys luck in the ACC. However I am disappointed  that you dropped us from your schedule. You still need 3 OOC teams and surely we can bring more fans than Houston Christian.

They didn’t drop us from their schedule. Our 10 year deal was voided when we joined the AAC because we were now conference mates.  Then, when they joined the ACC, their schedule was already filled out for years down the road.  

The only team that ran from their opponent was tcu against smu.  

I HATE smut, but we can’t blame them for the scheduling stuff this time.  

• Upvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

26 minutes ago, untlynchka1 said:

They didn’t drop us from their schedule. Our 10 year deal was voided when we joined the AAC because we were now conference mates.  Then, when they joined the ACC, their schedule was already filled out for years down the road.  

I HATE smut, but we can’t blame them for the scheduling stuff this time.  

Thanks for the clarification.

5 hours ago, untlynchka1 said:

SMU has only beaten TCU four times in the last 20 games they played. Sometimes a big brother takes a break from hitting a little brother because his arm is tired.

• Haha 1