Jason Bean Update

5 hours ago, Big Z said:

Bean > Fine 

More athletic potential than Fine.  But Fine arrived as a nearly finished product.  Even with Bean’s game management limitations the game plan could have been simplified to get better results.  If you can dominate FBS with Tim Tebow’s limitations as a passer in a spread formation offense, you should be able to win consistently with a physical talent like Bean against G5 with the horses we had in the backfield at that time.  Fine was unquestionably better but a College Coach should be able to develop a player with the gifts Bean had into something even more successful than Fine was. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Meangreen Fight said:

More athletic potential than Fine.  But Fine arrived as a nearly finished product.  Even with Bean’s game management limitations the game plan could have been simplified to get better results.  If you can dominate FBS with Tim Tebow’s limitations as a passer in a spread formation offense, you should be able to win consistently with a physical talent like Bean against G5 with the horses we had in the backfield at that time.  Fine was unquestionably better but a College Coach should be able to develop a player with the gifts Bean had into something even more successful than Fine was. 

Bean played well for Indy against the Bengals.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Meangreen Fight said:

I remember a lot of us agreed Fine's long-ball game - strength and accuracy - improved significantly from Y1 to Y2.

Not a huge counter-point against what you're saying here, but I think it's worth reminding us that Fine def got better and was not "nearly finished".

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, greenminer said:

I remember a lot of us agreed Fine's long-ball game - strength and accuracy - improved significantly from Y1 to Y2.

Not a huge counter-point against what you're saying here, but I think it's worth reminding us that Fine def got better and was not "nearly finished".

Good point but was than Fine just adjusting to the speed of the game and better offensive line play?  Also Muscle mass grows for all healthy young men training properly from ages 18-21.  I argue every successful college football player improves from in their first 2 years barring injuries.  I saw normal good improvement for Fine Y1 to Y2.  I think it was just more impressive given his height, our pathetic recent history at the QB position and improved offensive line protection.  He got murdered in the backfield his first year, hard to display arm strength and accuracy consistently when you running for your life every 3 snaps.