HIT 6

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

Was SL the ideal situation for Cr1028 and his Mean Green? I don't think it was ideal for me.  I think we moved on because we demand more, and even thought Morris might fail to meet those expectations too, it doesn't mean we should have kept SL.

You bounce around between vehemently defending SL, to pointing out double standards with Morris.  You clearly don't like him.  But our reality is, the AD felt it was time to move on regardless of the success of the next coach.  

So, how do we find closure for you and SL? Is it firing Morris, or waiting until after 2 more coaches? Maybe you want a message from a specific poster that says "gosh, we regret firing SL"? Or maybe you like where you stand, and you feel like this is a good position to post about for the rest of your fandom.  It doesn't matter if I tire of it: when does Cr1028 tire of it?  Seems like a boring, repetitive theme when you figure out 1) you're not going to change anyone's mind, and 2) SL isn't coming back.

At least I know we are both #GoMeanGreen.  Not questioning that.

Good post. I will chill out for awhile.

• Upvote 5

21 hours ago, Big Z said:

Good grief, no wonder this is an easy job for the AD. 

AD - "Coach all you have to do is get to 6 wins"

Coach - "That's it?" 

AD- "Yep our fans will love you forever"

Coach - "Awesome"

AD - "Now let's go get you a BBQ sandwich at Rudy's" 

Coach "Gee golly...that be great!" 

We're talking about 2 different sets of "Expectations".

You and I are on the same page when talking about the expectations you are referring to... Where we should be as a football program.   Middling around .500 football when we're smack-dab in the middle of a talent hotbed like DFW is not acceptable at all.   Look at what UCF was able to accomplish in a very short amount of time due to being in a talent hotbed, and appropriating the correct funding/priority to the football program.

This thread (and my comments in it) is talking about the expectations of this year's football team though.   And when looking at all of the pieces of this year's football team, as compared to last year's results, I don't think 6 wins is asking too much... sadly.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We're talking about 2 different sets of "Expectations".

You and I are on the same page when talking about the expectations you are referring to... Where we should be as a football program.   Middling around .500 football when we're smack-dab in the middle of a talent hotbed like DFW is not acceptable at all.   Look at what UCF was able to accomplish in a very short amount of time due to being in a talent hotbed, and appropriating the correct funding/priority to the football program.

This thread (and my comments in it) is talking about the expectations of this year's football team though.   And when looking at all of the pieces of this year's football team, as compared to last year's results, I don't think 6 wins is asking too much... sadly.

Expect more 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Big Z said:

Expect more 

I suppose you're not understanding, so let's break it down. I have some time today.

What is your realistic expectation of the 2024 Mean Green football team this year?   Consider the following:  Schedule/opponents, coaching staff, players...

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I suppose you're not understanding, so let's break it down. I have some time today.

What is your realistic expectation of the 2024 Mean Green football team this year?   Consider the following:  Schedule/opponents, coaching staff, players...

At least win 8 games and hopefully burying the outdated HIT 6 slogan 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Big Z said:

At least win 8 games and hopefully burying the outdated HIT 6 slogan 

You really think we're going to win 8 games this season after losing Rogers, Maclin, Adeyi, Adaway, and going 5-7 last year?

I'm sorry, I hope for that, but there's no way I can expect that.

Now, is <8wins/yr where we should be, as a football program?    Heck no!   Not against the competition we play while being located in DFW. 
I completely agree that "Hit 6" should not ever be a goal for the Mean Green.  I expect more.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You really think we're going to win 8 games this season after losing Rogers, Maclin, Adeyi, Adaway, and going 5-7 last year?

I'm sorry, I hope for that, but there's no way I can expect that.

Now, is <8wins/yr where we should be, as a football program?    Heck no!   Not against the competition we play while being located in DFW. 
I completely agree that "Hit 6" should not ever be a goal for the Mean Green.  I expect more.

We've done it before 

2012 - (4-8)

2013 - (9-4)

2016 - (5-8) 

2017 - (9-5)

2018 - (9-4) 

Edited by Big Z
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

19 minutes ago, Big Z said:

good grief 

Teams have more than one goal.  The ones I listed were just as an example to illustrate my point.  But hey, maybe you still think it’s “good grief.”

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, UNT78 said:

Texas State has less resources than we do, hired a new coach last year, he dismantled the team and brought in 56 transfers… they went 9-3 explain that one????

And, what would be the appeal of TSU? Serious question. All I know is the San Marcos river is there. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, 3_n_out said:

And, what would be the appeal of TSU? Serious question. All I know is the San Marcos river is there. 

Well its situated midway between Austin and San Antonio so there is that. My question back to you is what is the appeal of UNT? Most recent football coaches complain that its difficult to recruit here. Finding the answer to that question may be the answer to yours.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, UNT78 said:

Texas State has less resources than we do, hired a new coach last year, he dismantled the team and brought in 56 transfers… they went 9-3 explain that one????

Football is totally about finding a quality QB, and keeping them healthy.  Then they transfer or graduate and you start over again, or you fail if you don't find one as in Littrell's case.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Big Z said:

We've done it before 

2012 - (4-8)

2013 - (9-4)

2016 - (5-8) 

2017 - (9-5)

2018 - (9-4) 

That 2012-2013 jump is a good comparison, but I'm having a tough time finding the dudes on this year's defense that can compare to that 2013 defense (let alone the skins Skladany had on the wall VS what Caponi brings).   Maybe we'll get some surprises.  It would be awesome!  ...but totally unexpected.

As for 2016-2017, I think it's important to bring up where the program came from just 1 year prior (1-11 with the worst loss in program history in 2015), so the improvement had already begun.  Littrell just continued his own momentum in 2017.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, UNT78 said:

I’d bet that more of their students like sports, in general, than ours do. Texas State just finally had a season to get some attention. Same thing happened at UTSA. 

• Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1