HIT 6

29 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Why just 6? Expect more 

Because 6 wins would be an improvement from last year.

Did you see the offensive pieces that left over the offseason?  (Rogers, Maclin, Adeyi, Adaway)

Did you see the leader of a historically bad defense is returning?

I guess sometimes you must step backwards in order to move forward... at least, that's what we should all hope for.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Big Z said:

Why just 6? Expect more 

Since Corky Nelson left after the 1990 season, we have won at least 6 games in a season 9 times out of 33 seasons...Expecting more is setting yourself up for some severe disappointment

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

5 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Since Corky Nelson left after the 1990 season, we have won at least 6 games in a season 9 times out of 33 seasons...Expecting more is setting yourself up for some severe disappointment

Always expect more or you will get less.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Because 6 wins would be an improvement from last year.

Did you see the offensive pieces that left over the offseason?  (Rogers, Maclin, Adeyi, Adaway)

Did you see the leader of a historically bad defense is returning?

I guess sometimes you must step backwards in order to move forward... at least, that's what we should all hope for.

Good grief, no wonder this is an easy job for the AD. 

AD - "Coach all you have to do is get to 6 wins"

Coach - "That's it?" 

AD- "Yep our fans will love you forever"

Coach - "Awesome"

AD - "Now let's go get you a BBQ sandwich at Rudy's" 

Coach "Gee golly...that be great!" 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Good grief, no wonder this is an easy job for the AD. 

AD - "Coach all you have to do is get to 6 wins"

Coach - "That's it?" 

AD- "Yep our fans will love you forever"

Coach - "Awesome"

AD - "Now let's go get you a BBQ sandwich at Rudy's" 

Coach "Gee golly...that be great!" 

And still, that 6+ win season achievement has been ridiculously hard to achieve here.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Big Z said:

Why just 6? Expect more 

This type of response is always funny to me because the implication is that we’re somehow capping ourselves by “only” striving for 6 wins. The original “Hit 6” season we went on to win 9, which is tied for a school record, with a bowl win and received top 25 votes in the final poll.

That team certainly wasn’t held back by not expecting more.

• Upvote 3

How sad is it that 2 years ago we were in the CUSA championship game with 7 wins and now we are just wishing for 6 so we can be bowl eligible again? We fired a guy who hit that mark in 4 out of his 7 seasons here including his last 2 seasons. If 6 is acceptable then I am disgusted with this program because the whole reason for firing Littrell was to bring in someone that could do better, not the same or worse.

I barely know anyone on this roster and I am not impressed with our coaching staff outside of Patrick who was a holdover from the last staff. I have never been less enthusiastic about the start of a Mean Green season.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

How sad is it that 2 years ago we were in the CUSA championship game with 7 wins and now we are just wishing for 6 so we can be bowl eligible again? We fired a guy who hit that mark in 4 out of his 7 seasons here including his last 2 seasons. If 6 is acceptable then I am disgusted with this program because the whole reason for firing Littrell was to bring in someone that could do better, not the same or worse.

I barely know anyone on this roster and I’m am not impressed with our coaching staff outside of Patrick who was a holdover from the last staff. I have never been less enthusiastic about the start of a Mean Green season.

You make some good points. I am also struggling with excitement about cheering for a bunch of strangers this season. 

But didn’t it seem as if Seth had peaked here and that the program was in decline under him?

Plus, the rules have changed since the end of the Seth era. Morris has no chance to retain his best players like Seth got to for the majority of his tenure. I feel like Seth would have done an even worse job of recruiting and retaining talent than Morris is doing. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

You make some good points. I am also struggling with excitement about cheering for a bunch of strangers this season. 

But didn’t it seem as if Seth had peaked here and that the program was in decline under him?

Plus, the rules have changed since the end of the Seth era. Morris has no chance to retain his best players like Seth got to for the majority of his tenure. I feel like Seth would have done an even worse job of recruiting and retaining talent than Morris is doing. 

I wouldn’t say that he had peaked necessarily, I would say that he built a phenomenal original staff and his early success was ultimately his downfall. If he went (and remember he inherited a team that went 1-11 and got disemboweled by Portland State on homecoming) 4-8, 4-5, 5-7, 6-6, 8-5, 9-3, and 9-3 instead of 5-7, 9-3, 9-3, 4-8, 4-5, 6-6, and 7-5 that he would still be here. 

You may be right on the new era of recruiting but I still disagree. I think Littrell and Bennett fought well to stop tampering and hold on to players. They were able to keep one of our best linebackers ever when he had offers from the Big12 and SEC. I just don’t see what leads anyone to believe this guy is such a great coach outside of his riding Cam Ward’s coattails for a season or two.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

But just going to a bowl is not that exciting anymore and that HIT 6 was like over 10 years ago...

Expect less get less

Let me add this...Sun Belt teams have done way more with way less...I don't see them just wanting win 6 games....That's because they go out beat bigger programs or get ranked. 

Edited by Big Z
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I barely know anyone on this roster and I am not impressed with our coaching staff outside of Patrick who was a holdover from the last staff. I have never been less enthusiastic about the start of a Mean Green season.

Was SL the ideal situation for Cr1028 and his Mean Green? I don't think it was ideal for me.  I think we moved on because we demand more, and even thought Morris might fail to meet those expectations too, it doesn't mean we should have kept SL.

You bounce around between vehemently defending SL, to pointing out double standards with Morris.  You clearly don't like him.  But our reality is, the AD felt it was time to move on regardless of the success of the next coach.  

So, how do we find closure for you and SL? Is it firing Morris, or waiting until after 2 more coaches? Maybe you want a message from a specific poster that says "gosh, we regret firing SL"? Or maybe you like where you stand, and you feel like this is a good position to post about for the rest of your fandom.  It doesn't matter if I tire of it: when does Cr1028 tire of it?  Seems like a boring, repetitive theme when you figure out 1) you're not going to change anyone's mind, and 2) SL isn't coming back.

At least I know we are both #GoMeanGreen.  Not questioning that.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2