Call me crazy: I am saying we go 8-4! Great season!

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

The only good conference team on our schedule returning their starting QB is Memphis. If we fail to win 8 or 9 games, Morris deserves to be fired. I picked 10 simply because the schedule really is that weak. Also, the thread is in part titled "Call me crazy." If we're making crazy predictions, why not actually be a bit crazy.

I so hope you are right. If so I will call you "Lucky!"

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

The only good conference team on our schedule returning their starting QB is Memphis. If we fail to win 8 or 9 games, Morris deserves to be fired. I picked 10 simply because the schedule really is that weak. Also, the thread is in part titled "Call me crazy." If we're making crazy predictions, why not actually be a bit crazy.

you-right.gif

• Haha 7

53 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

you-right.gif

Now here me out!

This year's schedule with 2023 record:

South Alabama: 7-6

SFA: 3-8

Texas Tech: 7-6

Wyoming: 9-4

Tulsa: 4-8 and lost QB

FAU: 4-8

Memphis: 10-3, only one with consistency

Tulane: 11-3 and lost QB plus other pieces and has a new coach

Army: 6-6

UTSA: 9-4 and lost QB

East Carolina: 2-10

Temple: 3-9 and lost QB.

Only one conference mate with a winning record return the HC and QB which is Memphis. Everybody else was bad last year and/or lost their QB and/or HC. I stand by my looney statement.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Now here me out!

Only one conference mate with a winning record return the HC and QB which is Memphis. Everybody else was bad last year and/or lost their QB and/or HC. I stand by my looney statement.

l look at this schedule and see 4-8 or 3-9.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2

There is no doubt that the schedule is weak.  The problem is that we return 5 players from our offensive 2-deep.  If NIL and transfer portal weren't a thing, maybe I could get on-board.  We'd be returning a pretty salty team, at least offensively.  Now the QB we have running things might possibly be even better than last year....but with a completely rebuilt offensive line, RB and WR corps....who knows if he'll be able to showcase that talent.  I think the hope/trust is there that Morris will field a solid offense, but it's got to be great to overcome the defense... or the defense has to have made a huge leap forward in the offseason.

My expectation is that we will struggle in the first half of the season while we break in so many new faces on offense.  Expect to lose games that we should otherwise win.  Could realistically be 1-3 or 0-4 heading into conference play.  Then we get one warmup against Tulsa before having to face FAU, Memphis and Tulane.  All three of those teams will have better talent than we do and should be favored against us.  We better have it worked out by then or this season could be a real mess.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Now here me out!

We don’t return our QB or top 3-4 WR and RBs (plus a couple key OL) and did bring back our DC so not sure how their losses equal our gain.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

We don’t return our QB or top 3-4 WR and RBs (plus a couple key OL) and did bring back our DC so not sure how their losses equal our gain.

I understand that. The coaches are paid to build a roster, coach the players up to succeed in a chosen system, and execute. My point is our schedule is not loaded with superior and proven teams in their current forms. That has been an obstacle in the past at times but not this year, at least not on the surface. Every team is dealing with new rosters but the only good team we face returning their QB is Memphis. If our coaches can't build a team in the new environment, then they aren't a fit in today's college football and should leave.

33 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I understand that. The coaches are paid to build a roster, coach the players up to succeed in a chosen system, and execute. My point is our schedule is not loaded with superior and proven teams in their current forms. That has been an obstacle in the past at times but not this year, at least not on the surface. Every team is dealing with new rosters but the only good team we face returning their QB is Memphis. If our coaches can't build a team in the new environment, then they aren't a fit in today's college football and should leave.

Your final sentence is the key! 

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

The first game will tell us a lot, if they can beat South Bama, then they should be looking at a 4-1 start heading into the off week, in which case I could see a few more wins (maybe 8).  However if they loose week 1 then they could be 1-4 at the break, and maybe no more wins.  

• Upvote 4