Nice Article on Chandler Morris

I didn't realize he has two years of eligibility left

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/article/from-trials-to-triumph-chandler-morris-journey-to-become-north-texas-starting-quarterback-234642782/

Sophomore wide receiver Landon Sides called Chandler one of the best quarterbacks he's ever played with. Sides' former quarterback at Denton Guyer High School was former five-star Denton Guyer quarterback Jackson Arnold, who now plays at the University of Oklahoma. 

"He puts the ball in a catchable spot every time and he just throws such a great ball," Sides said after a fall camp practice. "(In the) leadership role, he's really stepped up. Coming in, new spot, I get it 100%, but then finally, I think he realized that we're all looking up to him and he's going to be our quarterback."

• Upvote 4

56 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

If he's as good a QB as Sides is a receiver, then we have something very special going here. 

Agreed.  I don't think anyone has questioned Morris' ability as a QB.  His durability seems to be what most are concerned with.  Looking forward to seeing what he can do.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/article/from-trials-to-triumph-chandler-morris-journey-to-become-north-texas-starting-quarterback-234642782/

Sophomore wide receiver Landon Sides called Chandler one of the best quarterbacks he's ever played with. Sides' former quarterback at Denton Guyer High School was former five-star Denton Guyer quarterback Jackson Arnold, who now plays at the University of Oklahoma. 

"He puts the ball in a catchable spot every time and he just throws such a great ball," Sides said after a fall camp practice. "(In the) leadership role, he's really stepped up. Coming in, new spot, I get it 100%, but then finally, I think he realized that we're all looking up to him and he's going to be our quarterback."

ryan bills GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I believe the play of Morris and our offense in general is not going to be a problem this year, just like it was not last season.  If our defense does not improve we can look for a repeat of last season, the opener will be a damn good indicator for what we can expect. 

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Very good article.  Gives fans good insight into the offensive team's chemistry so far.   I think that's always a concern with a lot of new players all at once mixing with returning players as far as roles and leadership.

Have to say, it's been a few years since I was really looking forward this much to a season opener. On paper, they may be the favorite, but I think we have some talent here. If we go down there and win this game, I will feel a WHOLE LOT better about this season...

Really intrigued by this game. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

The Leach philosophy was BIG O-line with athletic ability.  Let’s hope Morris is pulling from that. 

we need to hold opponents to less than 24 pts per game. 

I think 30 is a more realistic goal and would likely gets us 7 or more wins, since this offense should easily average more than 30-35. But I am not optimistic that the defense will improve. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I think 30 is a more realistic goal and would likely gets us 7 or more wins, since this offense should easily average more than 30-35. But I am not optimistic that the defense will improve. 

Agree that 30 is more reasonable from where we have been.  We have had one of the worst defenses in the NCAA, 131st out of 133, 2 places out of dead last.    Sound like a broken record every year saying this, but this South Alabama opening will really give us a better idea of where this defense is, at least talent wise.  It is going to take them time to gel with so many new faces. 

• Upvote 3