Another disappointing loss for Hedlund

Ladies come up short again vs. Colorado.

BOULDER, Colorado — The UNT women's soccer team outshot Colorado 16-12 over its 90-minute road exhibition but in the end fell short on Saturday, 4-3.

In what was the Mean Green's final preseason match before the regular season begins on Aug. 15 versus Oklahoma, North Texas got goals from sophomore Alexis Miller, freshman Claire Niedermeier and senior Rachel Roebuck. All three goals were equalizers.

UNT on Saturday faced a Buffaloes squad coming off a 2023 NCAA Tournament appearance and had victories last year over two top 25 opponents. Last season Colorado only gave up three goals twice all year and it was against No. 3 Stanford and No. 5 UCLA — both times at home.

After falling behind in the 18th minute on Saturday, Miller leveled the score in 31st minute. The sophomore forward also scored on Thursday in North Texas' 2-2 draw at reigning Mountain West runner-up Colorado State.

The Buffaloes responded quickly and took a 2-1 lead into the half. However, the lead didn't last long as Niedermeier beat the CU keeper bottom left to tie the match in the 48th minute. Niedermeier was one of four Mean Green freshmen to start Saturday.

LINK:  https://meangreensports.com/news/2024/8/10/womens-soccer-soccers-offensive-assault-falls-short-in-final-exhibition-at-colorado

Edited by Dannymacfan
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Buffs picked 4th of 16! Our MG ladies played them toe to toe and actually out shot them! 

2024 Big 12 Soccer Preseason Poll

School (First Place Votes) Points
1. BYU (9) 206
2. Texas Tech (6) 205
3. TCU (1) 197
4. Colorado 174
5. Arizona State 157
6. UCF 151
7. West Virginia 149
8. Oklahoma State 145
9. Baylor 100
10. Arizona 94
  Utah 94
12. Cincinnati 67
  Kansas 67
14. Houston 61
15. Iowa State 31
16. K-State 22

Edited by blurbeard
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

If this is a learning experience to beat OU Thursday when it really counts, it will be worth it.

Considering OU finished 10th in the Big XII last year, I would hope we are ready to go and win at home.  Also, this is a relatively young team with quite a few new faces.  I am excited about the start of soccer.

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Considering OU finished 10th in the Big XII last year, I would hope we are ready to go and win at home.  Also, this is a relatively young team with quite a few new faces.  I am excited about the start of soccer.

Definitely need to beat them if you consider Bama will be a tougher game. Going 0-2 would give me premature bad feelings of "this is just like every other year." But Hedlund seemed good about the talent we retained and brought in, especially compared to the rest of the conference.

• Upvote 1