North Texas football has “100%” faith in 3-3-5 defense

“I thought a couple of the freshmen wideouts looked good today,” Morris said. “Baron Tipton made a great play over the middle, went up and caught a ball with people around him. Wyatt Young is a guy that continues just every single day to do something that we notice. He’s going to find a role for himself on this team.”  

On the defensive side, Morris highlighted sophomore Northern Arizona transfer David Spruiells, who is playing the star position — a hybrid combination of the linebacker and defensive back positions.  

“He continues to show up and make plays for us,” Morris said. “He made a big interception today to kind of set the tone on defense.”  

Alongside Spruiells, the entire defense has been working on two primary goals during fall camp: fundamentals and stopping the run.  

After a 2023 season in which the Mean Green allowed 255 rushing yards per game, Defensive Coordinator Matt Caponi said changes have been made across the board to address their run-stopping deficiencies.  

“It's the same mindset I told them in the first practice,” Caponi said. “I don't care if these quarterbacks throw for 4000 yards, they better not run the ball for one yard.”  

read more:  https://www.ntdaily.com/sports/week-2-of-fall-camp-north-texas-football-has-100-faith-in-3-3-5/article_9e8e3b50-574a-11ef-aaf5-af8321d3fa06.html

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

4 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

Defensive Coordinator Matt Caponi said changes have been made across the board to address their run-stopping deficiencies.  

“It's the same mindset I told them in the first practice,” Caponi said. “I don't care if these quarterbacks throw for 4000 yards, they better not run the ball for one yard.”  

If Caponi's defense stops the run completely all season, what will his defense do to stop a top rated opposing team's passing game.  Am I missing something in what he said?

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, GoGreenBeans said:

UNT going to lose games 77-70 but at least the opposing RB had 2 YPC!

(the opposing QB had 500 passing yards) 

I've got to admit, that's strange talk to my ears.  Do you ever recall hearing a coach saying that he literally doesn't care if the opposing team destroys you through the air, as long as they don't do it on the ground?

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

Latest interview I saw, Morris praised the defense. It sounded like they were playing well. Then again, they’re not going to trash their own team if they didn’t look good. Hopefully, they can just be average and not other worldly terrible. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, 3_n_out said:

Latest interview I saw, Morris praised the defense. It sounded like they were playing well. Then again, they’re not going to trash their own team if they didn’t look good. Hopefully, they can just be average and not other worldly terrible. 

I saw that too but he said similar things about them prior to the Cal game last year.  Hope like heck he is right.

On 8/11/2024 at 12:47 PM, DeepGreen said:

If Caponi's defense stops the run completely all season, what will his defense do to stop a top rated opposing team's passing game.  Am I missing something in what he said?

When Behren Morton lights up that secondary throwing for 400 yards, your DC is going to say "We didn't allow a single inch on the ground so it's ok."

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/11/2024 at 10:42 PM, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I've got to admit, that's strange talk to my ears.  Do you ever recall hearing a coach saying that he literally doesn't care if the opposing team destroys you through the air, as long as they don't do it on the ground?

I am sure it is hyperbole but it was still a stupid thing to say. It is going to be really funny if it comes to pass. 

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, 3_n_out said:

Is that really a good thing in training camp?   When the worst FBS defense last year is looking good stopping your own offense in practice, that brings new concerns...