Southlake Caroll AD Steve Keasler joins North Texas as GM of Football and Senior Associate AD for NIL

58 minutes ago, NT80 said:

I don't think it's a fundraising position.    It sounds more like an accounting position, managing the NIL distribution for football.

why would the university manage NIL distribution?

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

5 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

why would the university manage NIL distribution?

"As of August 1, 2024, NCAA Division I schools can help student-athletes with name, image, and likeness (NIL) activities if the student-athletes disclose their NIL arrangements. This assistance includes identifying NIL opportunities and helping student-athletes make deals with third parties. However, student-athletes are not required to accept help from the school and must still control the terms of their NIL agreements."

DI Council approves NIL reforms, permits school assistance with NIL activity

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2024/4/17/media-center-di-council-approves-nil-reforms-permits-school-assistance-with-nil-activity.aspx

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Winning is far more important than any marketing or community relations when it comes to driving attendance.

If you had the best marketing team in the world how many folks could you get to consistently eat stale bread?

Ehh, I kinda gotta disagree with you here. I wouldn’t say it’s “far more important”. Just look at SMU. Do they win? Decently. Do their fans show up? Not really. 

Even when certain teams are bad, fans will still show up due to the atmosphere/brand/culture. UNT’s stadium placement definitely does not help its chances too.

UNT is really bland when it comes to pushing their football program. I think trying to create a better brand for UNT could go a long way. When us as fans admit that UNT football isn’t the most appealing, what makes a recruit want to come here? 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, GoGreenBeans said:

Ehh, I kinda gotta disagree with you here. I wouldn’t say it’s “far more important”. Just look at SMU. Do they win? Decently. Do their fans show up? Not really. 

Even when certain teams are bad, fans will still show up due to the atmosphere/brand/culture. UNT’s stadium placement definitely does not help its chances too.

UNT is really bland when it comes to pushing their football program. I think trying to create a better brand for UNT could go a long way. When us as fans admit that UNT football isn’t the most appealing, what makes a recruit want to come here? 

What brand would you recommend besides winning?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

This is the replacement for Josh Kirkland who served as the DPP last year. This is the same position with the addition of the NIL part. Not a new position....new title

Where did Kirkland go? I did not realize he left

• Upvote 1

I've said this before but the best marketing person for UNT football is the head coach, period. Winning is and will always be the best marketing tool for NORTH TEXAS. 

how do I know? because we've tried everything under the sun except win (really win, not go 7-5 against mediocre competition). We've never had an 11 win season. ever in 100+ years....

The pic in the post above of packed Apogee said it was 15% marketing and 85% winning. I disagree. It was 98% winning and 2% marketing. It was 98% being on ESPN, to 25 mentions, national attention, being 4-0, feeling like we belonged in the college football world. When that happens, the benefits of our size and numbers start to bubble to the surface. 

As for "other G5s that do it" we always bring up the fringes and someone even mentioned SMU. That's 9 or 10 schools out of 65? 70? in G5? For every ECU I'll bring up Boise St. For every SMU I'll bring up UCF. 

If a G5 wins and doesn't get attendance from it, it is an outlier, not the norm. 

If North Texas went 12-0, got ranked in the top 25, season tickets would be much more difficult to come by. And to use this same argument, why can't North Texas do it? Other G5s have done it...

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I don't give a sh_t what positions you create in the corporate world of college football there's only ONE thing that matters...

WINNING! 

Behind that comes money....

Our failure at those two priorities is why we are where we are today.

Edited by RBP79
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

7 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

The position was called NIL prior?  I thought the AD couldn’t do NIL just a few months back???

Looks like they added NIL to the title.

Correct, NIL money can't be from the University.  I'm guessing it is okay for the AD to communicate with the (external) NIL efforts to coordinate needs.

I wouldn't be surprised if you see the NCAA allow NIL money through the schools within the next 5 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I wouldn't be surprised if you see the NCAA allow NIL money through the schools within the next 5 years.

Agree.  It’s somewhat disingenuous that it is not already official because every coach is providing direction on who gets the money anyways? 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Jonnyeagle

7 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

For the “other G5s draw without winning” crowd…..Whatever our marketing team did leading up to this game…..why don’t they just keep doing it? 

Not disagreeing with you, or even playing Devil's Advocate, just answering your question... isn't this the game we redid the Joe Greene commercial and unretired #75 for one night? I recall that getting some attention from non-UNT people on Twitter, especially when they unveiled the throwback jerseys.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/7/2024 at 2:06 PM, GoGreenBeans said:

Sorry, winning is by far the most important thing to any sports teams success in the dfw market unless you’re the cowboys. (Not a shot at them, cowboys fan for better or worse) 

we need to win and do it consistently. Since I have been a Unt fan starting in the fall of 2000, the back-to-back 9 win seasons under Littrell and mason fine are the best win total we’ve had for 2 seasons, and we didn’t even win a conference championship or our bowl games   

Dallas is a band wagon market, and if you aren’t a winner, they have too many options to direct their attention to.  

just look at the rangers. When they are winning, the fans come out, but when they aren’t, attendance is no bueno. 

second example, when smu hired Larry brown, and they were in the top 25, they were selling out their arena, and they are in the heart of DALLAS.  If UNT isn’t putting out something people think is special, they ain’t driving out to Denton.  

Without consistent seasons of winning, there is no chance for the casual fan to make an effort to go to games.  You have to have that in order for people, besides us, to get emotionally invested and make it part of their routine no matter if the team is good or not.  

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Not disagreeing with you, or even playing Devil's Advocate, just answering your question... isn't this the game we redid the Joe Greene commercial and unretired #75 for one night? I recall that getting some attention from non-UNT people on Twitter, especially when they unveiled the throwback jerseys.

Yes I think it was.....but how many additional butts did that actually put in the seats? If we were 2-2 the Joe Greene statue wouldn't have been that much of an impact.

The statue unveiling is like what an old sales guy used to tell me about "value proposition" in construction products. "that and the low price will win the job every time." 🙂

• Harry featured this topic