Southlake Caroll AD Steve Keasler joins North Texas as GM of Football and Senior Associate AD for NIL

He sounds well qualified, I guess.  Our last hire from Southlake Carroll didn't go so well.   

Do other Athletic Departments have a GM of Football?   What is that?   

And NIL Czar, is that something new too?   For being money-strapped we seem deep in staff positions, but need more Marketing and Community Relations staff please!   

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, NT80 said:

He sounds well qualified, I guess.  Our last hire from Southlake Carroll didn't go so well.   

Do other Athletic Departments have a GM of Football?   What is that?   

And NIL Czar, is that something new too?   For being money-strapped we seem deep in staff positions, but need more Marketing and Community Relations staff please!   

Yes, it is becoming the norm.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

However, I fully agree the AD needs to invest much more heavily in Marketing and Community Relations to drive attendance.

Winning is far more important than any marketing or community relations when it comes to driving attendance.

If you had the best marketing team in the world how many folks could you get to consistently eat stale bread?

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

17 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Winning is far more important than any marketing or community relations when it comes to driving attendance.

If you had the best marketing team in the world how many folks could you get to consistently eat stale bread?

agreed... this was maybe 15% marketing and 85% winning/excitement

DENTON, TX - SEPTEMBER 29: North Texas Mean Green wide receiver Rico Bussey  Jr. (8) scores a touchdown and celebrates with tight end Caleb Chumley (15)  during the game between the North

• Upvote 7

16 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

The Dallas Cowboys would like a word with you....

Plenty of non-winning G5's with attendance.  It takes a community and alums to support the school's athletics.  Football also has to be seen as an "event" to students or they won't come.  They are not coming in numbers they should.  That's failure on the AD staff.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Now, hope this guy can fundraise like the last SLC product we had in here.  Dodge couldn't win, but he dang sure could recruit (players, donors, excitement).

I don't think it's a fundraising position.    It sounds more like an accounting position, managing the NIL distribution for football.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, NT80 said:

I don't think it's a fundraising position.    It sounds more like an accounting position, managing the NIL distribution for football.

Would he leave the AD position at the prestigious Southlake Carroll, where he claimed he thought he would retire, for an accounting job?

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Name them.

https://www.d1ticker.com/2023-fbs-attendance-trends/

North Texas = 17,761 = 5-7

Rice = 20,542 = 6-7

Navy = 30,804 = 5-7

UAB = 21,543 = 4-8

Tulsa = 20,187 = 4-8

East Carolina = 35,115 = 2-10

UTEP = 18,160 = 3-9

UConn = 24,659 = 3-9

Utah St. = 19,282 = 6-7

Colorado St. = 26,509 = 5-7

San Diego St. = 24,832 =4-8

Ga. Southern = 21,480 = 6-7

Marshall = 23,198 = 6-7

Southern Miss = 23,275 = 3-9

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Would he leave the AD position at the prestigious Southlake Carroll, where he claimed he thought he would retire, for an accounting job?

I don't think it's strictly NIL accounting, but obviously he will be in charge of that by his title.  The part I doubt he does is general fundraise, but maybe corporate stuff?   Hopefully as GM of Football he will get us better OOC home games!

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Looks like they are moving NIL under the AD where it should have been all along!

Yes, and hopefully lots more transparency.   But I predict there will still be schools offering things under the table beyond the scope of the AD, just because that's what they have always done...

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

They are just creating more AD bloat. GM? CEO? CFO? This AD loves himself some corporate culture of C-suites. 

Totally agree!!  Another big salary that generates zero revenue.  This guy is a high school administrator not a fund raiser!!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

9 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

So...East Carolina is what you've got.  That's the one school on your list that supports well while historically not winning.  Navy numbers are confusing as they probably get to count the Army-Navy game that draws 65k+.  The rest of those are not what I'd call drawing good attendance.  Better than UNT?  Yes.  Good?  No.

Anything 20K+ while losing, and with a G5 conference schedule, I would consider very good.  There are 9 such schools just last year alone.   They are attracting fans while not winning games.  How??   

• Upvote 2