I am optimistic about the 2024 season!

12 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Looks like Texas State and UTSA both got them some top 25 votes… just sayin

UTSA has been good for a while, Traylor did not exactly inherit a bad team.  UTSA beat NT by 8, last year; in a very competitive game. 

Texas ST was 8-5 last  year but lost to Troy by 18 and Arkansas St by 46, not sure why anybody would think they are top 25.  They did sign a lot of transfers, so it will be interested to see how that works. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

12 hours ago, NT93 said:

So you’re seriously suggesting firing a coach during his 2nd season?

I mean, you’re calling the season opener a “must win” so…

you'd keep a loosing coach?

In this era of college sports with player transfers and year round recruiting, how can a loosing coach convince anyone to come here?  Or convince good players to stay? 

• Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, MrAlien said:

In this era of college sports with player transfers and year round recruiting, how can a loosing coach convince anyone to come here?  Or convince good players to stay? 

I just think it’s highly unusual to fire a coach so early in their tenure unless there are some sort of extenuating circumstances involved.  I’m not looking it up, but how many coaches have ever been fired so quickly?

• Upvote 1

70+ new players......same DC whose defense was dead last in FBS....I JUST don't see a better record than last year.

HFC Morris will still be here next year regardless. But if Morris never bust more than 6 wins in 3 years and lose in a bowl you would think both Morris and Mosley would be gone.

I hope Morris proves he's a football genius and I'm eating crow....

Edited by RBP79

13 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

UTSA has been good for a while, Traylor did not exactly inherit a bad team. 

UTSA was 4-8 the year before Traylor took over, the year before that they were 3-9. When Traylor takes over they go 7-4 in conference for 2020. Contrast that with UNT going 7-5 in conference the year before Morris takes over, but going 5-7 his 1st season. If anyone did not inherit a bad team it was Morris.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, MrAlien said:

I dont know if you can afford to wait until the season is over... How do you convince players to play here next year if you continue with a failing coach?  Recruiting for 2025 is already in progress, if we are 1-4 heading into October with out a coaching change, then we might as well kiss next season good bye as well. 

You have to give him at least the full 2nd season to see what he can do. Even as someone who thinks this year is crucial.

7 hours ago, MrAlien said:

I don't know what that is.

I don't get the love for utsa this year.  I expect them to fall back to earth.  Texas St. is also an unknown to me.  Another strong year and Kinne will be gone.

I like Morris.  Quality coach that misread what he had last year.  I can't believe we are sitting here during the first week of August talking about a buyout and replacing him.  Let the man build his team and remember this is uncharted waters with the NIL and constant movement.  I can't imagine being a coach in this environment.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Green Otaku said:

UTSA was 4-8 the year before Traylor took over, the year before that they were 3-9. When Traylor takes over they go 7-4 in conference for 2020. Contrast that with UNT going 7-5 in conference the year before Morris takes over, but going 5-7 his 1st season. If anyone did not inherit a bad team it was Morris.

I stand corrected.  Coker had a great record at Miami, but only one good year at UTSA

However, he did start the initial program at UTSA, so the record is very deceptive

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

It's all about finding a QB.  Traylor found a QB.   We found a QB too before Cal kidnapped him.  Did Morris find another one?  We'll find out soon.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

It's all about finding a QB.  Traylor found a QB.   We found a QB too before Cal kidnapped him.  Did Morris find another one?  We'll find out soon.

Think we found a QB just not sure how healthy he can be and who is behind him if he gets injured again.

I always said his first year would be a throw away year because he was hired to late in the recruiting cycle.  Now he's had a year to go out and pick the players he wants, so I am optimistic for this season, I think we could see 6 or 7 wins, and he should be able to carry that momentum into recruiting.  However if the team is struggles to get to 2 or 3 wins then I dont see how he is going to be able to recruit a team for next season.   

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I stand corrected.  Coker had a great record at Miami, but only one good year at UTSA

However, he did start the initial program at UTSA, so the record is very deceptive

Commendable to admit an error, not often it happens on the internet today.  Respect.

5 hours ago, NT80 said:

QBs and linemen are the crucial building blocks. Let's hope we've improved on both. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Hookset said:

Morris will be back. 
Caponi will be gone.

This is the most logical answer I’ve seen. Morris came in and was as-advertised on the offensive side. We were a top 10 team in terms of yards per game with him, even when we lost a bunch of guys before the year. Idk what it is about UNT, but defense continues to be a struggle no matter who is coaching. 

UNT losing a lot of players to the portal isn’t on Morris either. That’s just CFB now, it’s not just a UNT issue.

I’ll give Caponi some grace for last year being year 1, but with how awful it was, his year 2 leash is SHORT.

• Upvote 2