I am optimistic about the 2024 season!

I had a flow of optimism this morning too. Strange but it came about thinking about college football showing up in a few short weeks. Thinking about roadies to plan and the launch of a Mean Green bourbon maybe got me excited too. 

Now Texas State being touted as a playoff dark horse. There is barely any energy and expectations around the Mean Green ‘24. Meaning if we beat Tech and or Wyoming in September and take care of SFA and Tulsa, we could have a glow into Halloween month. I still don’t know about SoBama but September still has some possibility to smile. 

GMG

• Upvote 2

I'm cautiously optimistic (I did pick up an extra season ticket this season). But, I did think we needed a flood of high quality defensive additions over the off-season, and it seems like most of our bigger additions were still on offense... which most of us feel is great. It's the defense that is causing most of the concern around the program. And let's face it. Defense has been the issue with every coach that's sprouted from the Leach coaching tree. It's a carry over from the Littrell years.

Edited by Side.Show.Joe

4 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

I'm cautiously optimistic (I did pick up an extra season ticket this season). But, I did think we needed a flood of high quality defensive additions over the off-season, and it seems like most of our bigger additions were still on offense... which most of us feel is great. It's the defense that is causing most of the concern around the program. And let's face it. Defense has been the issue with every coach that's sprouted from the Leach coaching tree. It's a carry over from the Littrell years.

Morris did say in the first camp video that the team needed to get bigger overall and it was a goal for all the coaches in offseason recruiting.  He said they look bigger now as a team.  A "big" positive! 

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1

On 8/2/2024 at 12:30 PM, Dannymacfan said:

I am feeling good about Morris staying healthy and jump starting the offense quickly.  Also I think Morris has learnt from his mistakes.  I don't see him being as complacent this season.  I think he will come out of the gate and be very aggressive.  My sources indicate he has basically taken over the defense and so we should see a good improvement there if we can stay healthy. 

Anyway, I know many fans reading on here seem negative and I wanted to give another more positive perspective.   I think when we defeat South Bama you will see a lot more positivity amongst the fanbase.  GMG

It will take some doing for me to feel optimistic again. I’ve been like this ever since last year’s FIU loss.

major-league.gif

Edited by Cr1028
  • Haha 3

I am pessimistic about the season.

Morris will be great at QB, running backs are a dime a dozen, as long as they aren't fumbling we're fine there. WR has a handful of guys who are pretty good proven players, none are Darden or Maclin, if Sheffield or J. Aaron contribute we're in decent shape. I remain extremely high on Hammond, I believe he will be one and done and move on to a P4 after this season he can play. It's a whole lot of unproven players behind him at TE. OL has a couple guys who are really good with tons of snaps in Blair and Duncan, some questions marks in the other spots. Coach Morris is a good to great playcaller, all this considered I think this offense can score 30 PPG if healthy and is our only shot at being over .500

I'm so lost as to how they shaped the defensive side of the ball after last season. We have entirely too many safeties too few cornerbacks and only after striking out with many transfers did we sign a few portal DL that were left over after 120 FBS teams filled up. The only way I see them having success (which would be to be a top 80 unit, absolute ceiling) would be luck AKA turnovers like the 2018 Mean Green, but that team actually had talent at every position. We gave up 5.7 yards per carry and 37 touchdowns on the ground and we are more or less rolling out the same front six. We signed 4 DL portal players and 2 portal LB while losing Mazin Richards and Olobwede to Memphis that is just inexcusable to me. Unless 4 or 5 of these guys make the most insane jumps from one season to the next we will again be a bottom ten unit. 

As has been the case for the last five years this team is entirely too young as well, doubling down on bringing back the DC, and tripling down on signing too many high school players is beyond me. Despite what people think we have an easy schedule all things considered. Memphis is probably better than Texas Tech who most would say is our toughest game and we don't have to go through our annual dog walking against SMU. I just don't see how we win more than 4 games against that schedule which is sad. I will be at the games but man I just don't see it with this team unless like I said above the offense scores 30+ PPG and we get some lucky breaks defensively because the talent is not there.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Morris will be great at QB, running backs are a dime a dozen, as long as they aren't fumbling we're fine there. WR has a handful of guys who are pretty good proven players, none are Darden or Maclin, if Sheffield or J. Aaron contribute we're in decent shape. I remain extremely high on Hammond, I believe he will be one and done and move on to a P4 after this season he can play. It's a whole lot of unproven players behind him at TE. OL has a couple guys who are really good with tons of snaps in Blair and Duncan, some questions marks in the other spots. Coach Morris is a good to great playcaller, all this considered I think this offense can score 30 PPG if healthy and is our only shot at being over .500

I'm so lost as to how they shaped the defensive side of the ball after last season. We have entirely too many safeties too few cornerbacks and only after striking out with many transfers did we sign a few portal DL that were left over after 120 FBS teams filled up. The only way I see them having success (which would be to be a top 80 unit, absolute ceiling) would be luck AKA turnovers like the 2018 Mean Green, but that team actually had talent at every position. We gave up 5.7 yards per carry and 37 touchdowns on the ground and we are more or less rolling out the same front six. We signed 4 DL portal players and 2 portal LB while losing Mazin Richards and Olobwede to Memphis that is just inexcusable to me. Unless 4 or 5 of these guys make the most insane jumps from one season to the next we will again be a bottom ten unit. 

As has been the case for the last five years this team is entirely too young as well, doubling down on bringing back the DC, and tripling down on signing too many high school players is beyond me. Despite what people think we have an easy schedule all things considered. Memphis is probably better than Texas Tech who most would say is our toughest game and we don't have to go through our annual dog walking against SMU. I just don't see how we win more than 4 games against that schedule which is sad. I will be at the games but man I just don't see it with this team unless like I said above the offense scores 30+ PPG and we get some lucky breaks defensively because the talent is not there.

I totally understand. 

After our thrashing by that NFL team Cal last year, and again at FIU, I thought winless was a possibility.  But adjustments were made, although limited on defense because of lack of talent and the scheme we were using.  Still, we finished 5-7 with last minute losses to Memphis, Tulane and Navy.   I expect more adjustments from over the offseason.  I believe we'll finish better, if we stay healthy.  

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

I think I am not pessimistic but having difficulty getting excited because I despise what the NIL/Transfer Portal has done to college sports.  I will miss the excitement of hearing about newcomers/freshmen that are impressive, Jamario Thomas, Patrick Cobbs, Johnny Quinn, Brandon Kennedy, Mason Fine, etc. and watching them develop over time.  With that in mind, here's my take on the season.

QB: Morris will be good to very good in this offense if he stays healthy.  He could put numbers like Rogers, but isn't going to be the same running threat.  I wouldn't be shocked if Cash is the backup although I would do everything possible to RS him and then find $$$ to keep him here.  I have family via marriage in China Spring and they can't say enough about him.  He could be phenomenal in this offense.  We just have to enjoy him while he is here.

RB:  I really hated to lose so many from last year.  Ragsdale, in my mind, is serviceable but isn't top level.  Don't know enough about Juwaun Price, but again, he can be servicable.  The two that excite me are Zach Evans and Kiefer Sibley.  I think they have the talent to be game changers.  My dark horse is Makenzie McGill.

WR: I think we will be fine.  We lost Darden and wondered who would step up and Maclin was great.  I think this year Ward and Sides lead the team with Conwright, Sheffield and Aaron not far behind.  Coleman could be our next Darden type, Porter and Dudley are intriguing because they showed enough to end up in the Big XII and I am excited about Tipton as well due to his size and production in a solid HS district.

OL: Should be solid.

TE: Hammond could be a good one, but I don't think he is one and done.  Kautai is far but not very fluid in running routes.  The freshmen, especially Aderungboye and Young, look to be a very solid group.

I am going to disagree with you when you said too many S and not enough CB's.  Fourteen S's seems crazy but we have 3 starting positions.  Young, Jackson, Anderson, Allen and Hill all have potential to be unbelievable.  I also like what we have coming from HS in Gant, Pettway and Jaydon Smith.  Corner should be strong with Texada, Nelson, Starling, and Brice on the two deep.  Williams, El-Amin, Lewis and Stroud could be very good in the futue.

LB: Brown and Weslowski are solid and should be improved over last year.  Ruder is a ?, but has the size and athletic ability to shine.  I am excited about the transfers Whitter, Henderson and Jean-Louis.  We will be bigger and more athletic.

DL: Have to get better.  I don't think the loss of Richards and Olobwede is really that big of a deal.  Olobwede didn't show anything of significance and Richards didn't fit the system.  Brown and Vailea are steady and I like the size and potential of transfers Shipley, Dawkins, Charles and Bronson.  We will at least pass the eye test.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I too am optimistic, but game 1 will tell us if this program is heading in the right direction, Morris has been able to get the players he wanted, sounds like we have more size on the DL, and he showed he has good offensive schemes.  I think it is a must win game, otherwise I think they are looking at a 1-4 start in which case I think they would need to make a coaching change at the bye week.  

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

I too am optimistic, but game 1 will tell us if this program is heading in the right direction, Morris has been able to get the players he wanted, sounds like we have more size on the DL, and he showed he has good offensive schemes.  I think it is a must win game, otherwise I think they are looking at a 1-4 start in which case I think they would need to make a coaching change at the bye week.  

We will win!!!🏆 

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

. . . otherwise I think they are looking at a 1-4 start in which case I think they would need to make a coaching change at the bye week.  

Yeah, I doubt that's happening.  With a 5-year contract, we don't have the resources to buy out that much contract and then hire a new coach.  You can pretty well count on him being our coach the first game of 2025, regardless of what happens this season.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

That will take $2.7 million to send him away after this season.

I get it's a lot of money. I just wonder what the threshold of the fanbase/department is? 3-9? 2-10?

I'll refrain from continuing to hammer the woes with Caponi until we see how they look this year. IMO Morris really needs a much improved defense or this will be a huge red flag about his ability as a head coach.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

I get it's a lot of money. I just wonder what the threshold of the fanbase/department is? 3-9? 2-10?

I'll refrain from continuing to hammer the woes with Caponi until we see how they look this year. IMO Morris really needs a much improved defense or this will be a huge red flag about his ability as a head coach.

I dont know if you can afford to wait until the season is over... How do you convince players to play here next year if you continue with a failing coach?  Recruiting for 2025 is already in progress, if we are 1-4 heading into October with out a coaching change, then we might as well kiss next season good bye as well. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, MrAlien said:

I dont know if you can afford to wait until the season is over... How do you convince players to play here next year if you continue with a failing coach?  Recruiting for 2025 is already in progress, if we are 1-4 heading into October with out a coaching change, then we might as well kiss next season good bye as well. 

We aren't getting rid of any coach after Year 2.   We are not A$M.  Even Benford got 5 years.  We had to wait until after year 4 was over before we could afford to cut Littrell loose.   Plus now we will be paying players too.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

We aren't getting rid of any coach after Year 2.   We are not A$M.  Even Benford got 5 years.  We had to wait until after year 4 was over before we could afford to cut Littrell loose.   Plus now we will be paying players too.

I certainly hope you are mistaken.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MrAlien said:

So you’re seriously suggesting firing a coach during his 2nd season?

I mean, you’re calling the season opener a “must win” so…

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

Lot of fans who don't think Morris  can win and ready for a change.

Nevermind, that about every player that shows promised was hired away.

In the nil world, for a team like NT which is largely non-competitive in buying players; how do you judge a hc's value.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

In the nil world, for a team like NT which is largely non-competitive in buying players; how do you judge a hc's value.  

Looks like Texas State and UTSA both got them some top 25 votes… just sayin

Edited by Jonnyeagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

10 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Not sure how much buy-in there was from Littrell's returning players last year.  I recall Morris saying it also takes a year for a roster to become mostly "their guys" and ensure the ones remaining are all-in....at least until they get bought by a P4...