Greetings

15 minutes ago, Cowboy Up said:

Wyoming fan here.

We finally started fall camp yesterday and I am getting excited for football.

looking for some thoughts on the Pikes and Mean Green.  What are your thoughts on how this game will play out?  Strengths vs weaknesses etc…

I feel good about this years team in Laramie.  We return a bunch of physical talent on both sides of the ball.  The biggest question we have, and it’s a big one, what will the offense look like?  We will run the ball well I think but, can we throw the ball more effectively?  We will be starting a new QB that doesn’t have a lot of experience.  He had a big arm but is low on playing time. Also, we have a new OC and I’m hoping this offense evolves a little with more passing and just a little less three yards and a cloud of dust.

Anyway, I’m interested in some friendly banter about how this game is gonna play out.

Was hoping we would be going up against Coach Bohl. He was a coaching legend. As I recall....you guys promoted from within.....right?

Anyway......with so much turnover (55 new players).......it's hard to guess how good/bad we might be. Hope that there's a good contingent of Wyoming fans at DATCU. 

• Upvote 5

19 minutes ago, Cowboy Up said:

Wyoming fan here.

looking for some thoughts on the Pikes and Mean Green.  What are your thoughts on how this game will play out?  Strengths vs weaknesses etc…

I feel good about this years team in Laramie.  We return a bunch of physical talent on both sides of the ball.  The biggest question we have, and it’s a big one, what will the offense look like?  We will run the ball well I think but, can we throw the ball more effectively?  We will be starting a new QB that doesn’t have a lot of experience.  He had a big arm but is low on playing time. Also, we have a new OC and I’m hoping this offense evolves a little with more passing and just a little less three yards and a cloud of dust.

Anyway, I’m interested in some friendly banter about how this game is gonna play out.

Welcome!  Look forward to learning more about your program.

Edited by Jonnyeagle
  • Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, SUMG said:

Was hoping we would be going up against Coach Bohl. He was a coaching legend. As I recall....you guys promoted from within.....right?

Anyway......with so much turnover (55 new players).......it's hard to guess how good/bad we might be. Hope that there's a good contingent of Wyoming fans at DATCU. 

We promoted our DC to head coach.  Our linebackers coach, Aaron Bohl (Coach Bohl son) was promoted to DC.  We hired Jay Johnson who was previously at Michigan State.  We have a lot of questions going forward.  Wyoming usually travels pretty well but no idea on how well travel deep into the heart of Texas for this game.

I truly think this will be a good game. We have too many unknowns and haven’t performed well on the road the last couple of years.

• Upvote 6

Hi @Cowboy Up! Welcome! I'm really excited about this game. I think it will be a good one. I am expecting Wyoming to field a great team. North Texas has too many unknowns, but I do expect our defense to be improved to some degree (maybe not enough...). Something came up recently about the Texas Tech vs. North Texas game this year, and everyone was saying "We can't let this be another Wyoming." So props to y'all for beating Tech! Not sure we can pull something like that off... We've had issues over the years winning the games against equal or better talent and that was a main reason why we fired Seth Littrell. Coach Morris gets a pass in my mind given the weird situation he inherited, but this year, I think we are all needing to see us win games against teams that won bowl games last year. 

My biggest struggle with this game is that my 10 year high school reunion is that evening... Given the choice, I'll be at the game, but I need them to release the start time to know if I can somehow make both! Anyone know why there would be a hold up on announcing a start time for this one? Seems like it usually the conference game times that are TBA for us, so this feels kind of random!

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, GoGreenBeans said:

I have nothing important to add to this thread. Just mentioning that I went to Wyoming once and it was awesome. Carry on

Beautiful state depending on which part of the state you are in for sure!🤣

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cowboy Up said:

I truly think this will be a good game. We have too many unknowns and haven’t performed well on the road the last couple of years.

This seems to be the issue for most G5 schools. Managing the turnover/defections is the new challenge for the coaches. If you do well, the reward is that P4 schools will come in and pay your players to join them. For UNT, there seems to be high confidence that we will have a potent offense. Concern for me is that we have a complete turnover in the QB room, and our QB1 (transfer from TCU) has a history of injuries, and we have no experience behind him. The question after last season's disaster on the Defensive side of the ball is, what are we in for this year? Our defense was terrible last year, and there were a lot of players brought in, but outside the eternal preseason hope, I have no clue how they will play.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Cowboy Up said:

Wyoming fan here.

Our athletic department is pushing for this to be our stadium's first sellout, so make sure you bring your share of fans.

Hoping y'all continue last year's bad luck on the road, at least for this game.

I'm looking forward to making the trip up in a few years for the second game.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ian Campbell said:

Anyone know why there would be a hold up on announcing a start time for this one? Seems like it usually the conference game times that are TBA for us, so this feels kind of random!

They will announce no later than two weeks prior due to what games the conference decides go to which television outlets.

I hope we have a late summer/early fall heat wave and melt the Cowboys in those awful brown jerseys.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cowboy Up said:

Wyoming fan here.

Honest truth is we have no idea what anything will look like with all the turnover. 

We returned the nations worst DC, so that is about as reliable a bet we can make on either side of the ball. I would still expect a decent offense, but again... so many new components that we haven't seen in action.

I expect an easy W for Wyoming, but would love for a wonderful upset.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

18 minutes ago, Udomann said:

Honest truth is we have no idea what anything will look like with all the turnover. 

We returned the nations worst DC, so that is about as reliable a bet we can make on either side of the ball. I would still expect a decent offense, but again... so many new components that we haven't seen in action.

I expect an easy W for Wyoming, but would love for a wonderful upset.

Man I hope your right but I’ve been kicked too many Times Square in the nuts as a UW fan over the years to be overly optimistic.

We play BYU the week before you guys.  BYU was an old WAC foe for us and there is absolute hatred for them from the fan base.  That will be a huge game and I see is playing like crap the next week against you guys.  I hope the new coach beats it into their heads that there isn’t one team we can overlook on our schedule.

27 minutes ago, Cowboy Up said:

We play BYU the week before you guys.  BYU was an old WAC foe for us and there is absolute hatred for them from the fan base.  That will be a huge game and I see is playing like crap the next week against you guys.  I hope the new coach beats it into their heads that there isn’t one team we can overlook on our schedule.

That'll be a wash. As we play Texas Tech the week before you guys. So we're in the same boat. 

• Upvote 4

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, SUMG said:

That'll be a wash. As we play Texas Tech the week before you guys. So we're in the same boat. 

I’m sure there’s no love loss between you guys and Tech either.

Edited by Cowboy Up

7 hours ago, Cowboy Up said:

Wyoming fan here.

We are talking with the a huge supporter here from Wyoming, the #1 fan, the poster, Cowboy Up. 

What, ummm, do you like your team?

• Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3
  • Eye Roll 1

Our defense..especially our run defense.  I also love our running game.  That said..if we can’t throw the ball better than we have the last decade with Coach Bohl teams stack the box and we struggle.  The last time I was excited by our passing game Josh Allen was playing for us.  I think outside of our punting our special teams should be decent also.

1 hour ago, Cowboy Up said:

Our defense..especially our run defense.  I also love our running game.  That said..if we can’t throw the ball better than we have the last decade with Coach Bohl teams stack the box and we struggle.  The last time I was excited by our passing game Josh Allen was playing for us.  I think outside of our punting our special teams should be decent also.

Don't worry, our defense will make your QB look like Josh Allen.

Our DBs are supposed to be improved. But we shall see.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, Cowboy Up said:

Wyoming fan here.

Be sure to get your free autograph picture with Coach Caponi 

• Haha 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 hours ago, golfingomez said:

We are talking with the a huge supporter here from Wyoming, the #1 fan, the poster, Cowboy Up. 

What, ummm, do you like your team?

Have you been drinking already? Without the rest of us?

• Haha 2