Are fans being driven away from supporting college sports at our level by recent changes?

Yep...

I did renew my season tickets this year but next year maybe I'll just buy single game tickets. Unless NT has a extraordinary year...there no reason to rush and buy tickets cause there will be plenty of seats available.

Edited by RBP79

22 hours ago, NT80 said:

Does this board seem dead?  10-15 usual posters remain, but even visits from Harry and the moderators are few.   

This time of year GMG should be jumping with enthusiasm for the upcoming football, basketball, and soccer seasons.   Yet, now it's mostly crickets.

NT Athletics does only the minimum to remind us they still remember us, but nothing to show they actually want and need us! 

Has realignment, the loss of natural rivals, NIL, the NCAA, and the athletes themselves killed off the fans? 

Asking for a friend....

Crickets Chirping GIF - Crickets chirping - Discover & Share GIFs

It is not dead but definitely less excited than in the past.  I think NIL is a part but also people are not very excited about Morris.  He came in and said we were already good and then it turned out he was wrong.  I really hope he does better but at this point how is he any better than what Seth was?

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

It is not dead but definitely less excited than in the past.  I think NIL is a part but also people are not very excited about Morris.  He came in and said we were already good and then it turned out he was wrong.  I really hope he does better but at this point how is he any better than what Seth was?

It could be; I like Morris, though, but I sure would hate to be a head coach in this environment. Especially without unlimited funds. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Big Z said:

Yep

1. Low % of players commit all 4 years 

2. We are a farm system to the bigger fish

3. We have no money or big donor to compete

4. Our athletic department does the bare minimum to get fans excited with "oh be sure to get your season tickets" ...."you'll see these players one season and BOOM out the door" 

5. Alot of fans have little faith in Eric Morris right now 

#5 is a big factor in my lack of enthusiasm. NIL crushes my hope we can ever compete nationally. Morris and his defense have crushed my hope we can complete period. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

22 hours ago, Big Z said:

3. We have no money or big donor to compete

Speaking of money, does anyone know how much we received in our first year with the AAC? I believe I saw Temple and Memphis receiving a little over $8M. Is it typical to receive much less than the equal share and for how many years? I couldn’t find any info on that. 

I think it's a combination of factors. The economy is bad, regardless of which side of the aisle you are on, and there is uncertainty regarding where NIL and pay for play is going (and all with no cap). Add in the potential of the power conferences actually breaking away or at least stacking the deck even more in their favor, and it's easy to see how fans that aren't hardcore would retract from investing too much of their time and money.

On 7/31/2024 at 7:39 PM, NT80 said:

The best line from that article that sums up my feelings was this one... "  the essence of sports is everyone starting at the same spot."  Hasn't been that way for a while in FBS, but up until NIL we at least had some schools trying to do it the right way.

On 7/31/2024 at 8:00 PM, untcampbell said:

My biggest gripe is I see no sign that the stakeholders of the schools most adversely impacted are fighting to right the game so that the "minor league" teams can still provide their fans something to cheer about.

This is my biggest gripe, as well.  We're all getting screwed over royally in the G6.  All the angst and apathy that we are all feeling can be harnessed and weaponized...but all these school administrators seem to be more worried about burning bridges with potential employment options.  The schools who are stepping up have alums stepping up and taking things into their own hands.  SMU, as much as I hate their friggin guts, is a perfect example.  Here at UNT, I think we're all waiting for someone to step up and save us instead of using our collective size as a means to influence our situation positively.  SMU took the easy way out, one rich donor was all they needed.  We are going to have to pull together to make enough noise to force the change.  I don't expect our AD or President to do much unless we hold their feet to the fire.

• Thanks 1

On 8/1/2024 at 11:55 AM, RBP79 said:

Yep...

I did renew my season tickets this year but next year maybe I'll just buy single game tickets. Unless NT has a extraordinary year...there no reason to rush and buy tickets cause there will be plenty of seats available.

There is no salesmanship in the AD's office.  It's just on autopilot as usual.  They should have had the new stadium chairback seats installed for the Fan Preview event, to entice fans to perhaps upgrade to those prime seating areas.  But we got "nothing to see here" instead.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TIgreen01 said:

The schools who are stepping up have alums stepping up and taking things into their own hands.  SMU, as much as I hate their friggin guts, is a perfect example.  Here at UNT, I think we're all waiting for someone to step up and save us instead of using our collective size as a means to influence our situation positively.  SMU took the easy way out, one rich donor was all they needed.  We are going to have to pull together to make enough noise to force the change.  I don't expect our AD or President to do much unless we hold their feet to the fire.

$mut tried flaunting their cash during Mustang Mania and paying players in the SWC, and they still got left behind in the dust when the Big 12 was formed.  They have a few rich donors, but they have no fans that will travel to opponents stadiums nor fill their own stadium.  This becomes lost revenue for other conference members and $mut becomes a media liability to the conference.  They will be an anchor to the ACC too.  We tried to warn them!

• Upvote 2

Love my school. Hate college athletics right now.

To be honest, I might feel the same even if we were a power school. But, the $$ would ease the pain somewhat.

I've been following NT football since '85.  The transfer portal and NIL have killed any excitement for me.  Unfortunately, things will only change when the power schools start to feel it in their pockets.

I will watch the games and attend one on occasion.  But, I don't follow things regularly anymore. Everything is always in flux.

• Upvote 5

It's just not a situation that is sustainable. Not for a G5 school, especially one with little to no success, a reputation of apathy, and few opponents that really get the fans fired up to come watch. 

All kids dream of playing for those Power Schools, particularly the giants of the sport. So there's a totem pole and even at the top, there's always someone else that will offer you more. 

I watched about 6 cfb games all of last year, 3 of which were the playoff games. I doubt this year will be any different.

On 8/6/2024 at 10:30 AM, TIgreen01 said:

The best line from that article that sums up my feelings was this one... "  the essence of sports is everyone starting at the same spot."  Hasn't been that way for a while in FBS, but up until NIL we at least had some schools trying to do it the right way.

This is my biggest gripe, as well.  We're all getting screwed over royally in the G6.  All the angst and apathy that we are all feeling can be harnessed and weaponized...but all these school administrators seem to be more worried about burning bridges with potential employment options.  The schools who are stepping up have alums stepping up and taking things into their own hands.  SMU, as much as I hate their friggin guts, is a perfect example.  Here at UNT, I think we're all waiting for someone to step up and save us instead of using our collective size as a means to influence our situation positively.  SMU took the easy way out, one rich donor was all they needed.  We are going to have to pull together to make enough noise to force the change.  I don't expect our AD or President to do much unless we hold their feet to the fire.

This is THE root of G5 problems. Until THAT is fixed the entire group will collectively fail.

They don't care what happens to the university in which employs them and they never have. They only care about individual success in hopes of a lifeline being thrown their way. 

I suspect monetary amounts in these contracts to start to significantly diminish, and rightfully so. 20k in attendance becoming rare and celebratory. Support is dying off and/or going away. And in this current format, I don't blame anyone. 

• Eye Roll 2