South Alabama

We'll be an underdog.  I think SA is favored by 7 1/2, the last I saw someone posted here.  They spanked Okie State in Stillwater last year, and handily won their bowl game.

But no one really knows what we've got.  We're bringing in a new QB, but a highly-touted QB.  Coach Morris has heartily embraced the transfer portal, so we'll have tons of new faces on both sides of the ball.  So if the new pieces turn out to be the right pieces, and quickly fit together, this ought to be as winnable as most of the games on our schedule.

53 minutes ago, ChiefTenBeers2015 said:

Looks like a really competitive team in the much improved Sun Belt plus it’s an away game to open the season your thoughts? 

They lost their head coach, star QB, WR, and RB.   So, they are a lot like us reloading.  No one really knows how all these new players will mesh with each other, and for USA new playbook and system.  

https://collegefootballnews.com/news/south-alabama-college-football-preview-best-players-top-transfers-season-prediction-win-total-2024

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, NT80 said:

They lost their head coach, star QB, WR, and RB.   So, they are a lot like us reloading.  No one really knows how all these new players will mesh with each other, and for USA new playbook and system.  

They return the QB who won their bowl game last year.  So he's had experience and success with his teammates.

Not sure how different Applewhite's system is going to be from what they were running last year.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

I know its only the first game of the season, but looking at the schedule I think this is a must win game if this program wants to see a bowl game. 

That's a little much.  Our schedule isn't exactly a murderer's row, if we field a team with a comparable offense to last year and at least an improved defense.  If that's the case, there ought to be plenty of paths to 6 wins, if not 8.  At this point, we really don't know which teams are going to be the toughest to beat.  And every year, wins and losses pop up in unexpected places.  

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

36 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

I know its only the first game of the season, but looking at the schedule I think this is a must win game if this program wants to see a bowl game. 

It's a very important game to set the early tone for the season.  Much like FIU was last year but we quickly found we needed adjustments.  If we can go 2-0 heading to Lubbock it would give the players and fans a lot more confidence for the rest of the season.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, ChiefTenBeers2015 said:

Looks like a really competitive team in the much improved Sun Belt plus it’s an away game to open the season your thoughts? 

Definitely not an easy win, although that may have been the idea when this game was scheduled.  

Still should be a better match than California was last year.  

It’s just a constant recruiting season. Constant and continuous.

Was chatting with an OU fan and they lost Dillon Gabriel to Oregon. So it happens to all teams every level. They have serious unknowns entering the SEC.

I don’t know why but I think Morris could be good at luring key talent. But his results need to show in 2024. 

GMG

• Upvote 1

On 7/28/2024 at 4:22 PM, Matt from A700 said:

Reminder if you don't have Labor Day Weekend plans, join us in Mobile. Group sales start this Thursday for $13/ticket and right now I've got the commitments to buy about 30-40 tickets this week.

FB event page: https://fb.me/e/20vtYbKkf

I appreciate the rare organization from Mean Green fans, but why would we not buy through the ticket office on this one? Are we expecting them to run out of space at the USA Stadium? I'm sure I'll pay more than $13, but won't we at least be sitting with the other traveling fans? It's always nice to have all of us sitting together when we travel. I might even recognize some of you people.

We're flying into Pensacola on Saturday morning and driving over. Unfortunately, there are no Southwest flights to Mobile. After the game, we're heading north to BHam to see family.

GMG.

14 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

You will be sitting with Mean Green fans in our block as well, in better seats, for $10/seat less. The allotment that is passed along from the opposing home team is always for the worst sections, and while there most likely won't be anyone stopping you from moving over in Mobile, that won't be the case at our other efforts in Lubbock and San Antonio.

I understand the viewpoint that our organization may compete with the ticket office for football, since it is the one sport you can buy tickets for road games through the ticket office. And if you choose to do that, no problemo with me, I just want to see a lot of green in Mobile. But I've been told by AD staff that they make crumbs off those away game tickets. And there's no push made by them to get people to buy those tickets. Hell, my sophomore year in 2015 they were bussing people to the SMU game. Last fall, not only were there no buses, but they weren't even telling people to go to the game, they were pushing the ESPN2 broadcast instead.

Additionally, my big personal undertaking to recruit people to join has been through LinkedIn, where you can easily filter UNT alumni based on the market they live in. It is much harder to earn commitment to attend by reaching out to a stranger, and then directing them to a link where you have no visibility.

Where I may rob the athletic department a few hundred bucks over the course of the three games by getting people to buy through our group instead of the ticket office, maybe I can make it up by enticing some of those strangers (specifically at the UTSA game) to join the alumni association and become more engaged with UNT Athletics again (or for the first time).

And while the price difference won't be as dramatic for the South Alabama game ($10), I am also looking at coordinating group outings from afar for the other three games at FAU, Memphis, and Temple - I've already reached out to their ticket offices for pricing. I thought the prices passed along for the FAU and Memphis games, large stadiums that never sell out, were especially alarming - $45!! Through group pricing it'd be less than half of that!

If you haven't bought your tickets yet and want to join our party, let me know!

I can't make the USA game, but I'd be interested in other opportunities. Please PM me on how to follow y'all on LinkedIn. Thanks.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

Thank you for what you do. Grassroots organization is easy to support and feels great. Plus power groups on roadies allows for solid meetups in bars pre and post game. Good chance to meet opposing fans and start building relationships with our conference mates. 

GMG

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/30/2024 at 1:41 PM, bstnsportsfan3 said:

who is going to this one? I booked my flight and hotel for mobile last night! hope to see a bunch of fellow Mean Green fans

The wife and I will be there. Booked my flight already. 

• Upvote 4

On 7/31/2024 at 3:25 PM, NM Green said:

Thank you for what you do. Grassroots organization is easy to support and feels great. Plus power groups on roadies allows for solid meetups in bars pre and post game. Good chance to meet opposing fans and start building relationships with our conference mates. 

GMG

I appreciate it! I'm optimistic this is going to bring a positive change. People I didn't know and probably haven't been to a game since college are coming out through this effort - people who now live in places like NOLA, Baton Rouge, Atlanta, and Jacksonville.

Can't wait until the Tech and UTSA games, too. Hopefully we get Rice in Houston soon because with all of our people that live in H-Town, this kind of effort should make for a big takeover.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2