Latest on OSU/WSU vs MWC

13 minutes ago, NT80 said:

The 8 remaining MWC schools will be hurting…not only with the loss of some of their best brands…but their media contract renewal soon will suffer too.  I bet many of them are on the phone to the AAC seeking shelter. 

I'm sure the MWC brass are aware and trying to get ahead of it. Based upon the numbers El Paso Eagle shared, the MWC is about to receive between $108M and $116M in exit fees/PAC penalty fees. Divide that by the remaining 8 schools and each school will receive between $13.5 and $14.5 million dollars.

If Air Force or any other MWC school wants to leave the conference, they will also have to pay the $17M MWC exit fee and forfeit the $13.5-14.5 million headed their way. That's a $30 million dollar swing which makes me think the MWC will stay together for the time being. 

7 minutes ago, C Rod said:

I'm sure the MWC brass are aware and trying to get ahead of it. Based upon the numbers El Paso Eagle shared, the MWC is about to receive between $108M and $116M in exit fees/PAC penalty fees. Divide that by the remaining 8 schools and each school will receive between $13.5 and $14.5 million dollars.

If Air Force or any other MWC school wants to leave the conference, they will also have to pay the $17M MWC exit fee and forfeit the $13.5-14.5 million headed their way. That's a $30 million dollar swing which makes me think the MWC will stay together for the time being. 

Yes, the exit fees are nice, but it won’t last them long if their Conference value has been cut in half for their next media contract.  

“What does hang over the Mountain West is its television deal, which recently added TNT Sports as a third partner and runs through 2025-26.”

13 minutes ago, NT80 said:

The 8 remaining MWC schools will be hurting…not only with the loss of some of their best brands…but their media contract renewal soon will suffer too.  I bet many of them are on the phone to the AAC seeking shelter. 

This is going to be so crazy to follow. The AAC's media deal probably won't be any better at the next negotiations sans Houston, UCF, Cincinnati, SMU, and maybe Memphis, Tulane, and USF.

I still lean position ourselves for a Pac-12 invite with UTSA and some other nearby schools. Being stuck with the sloppy seconds from the AAC, MWC, and backfills from CUSA sounds less appealing.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

I have a theory about what Pac-6 is doing. Don't think they are giving a lot of consideration to whether someone is an academic peer, geographically compatible, or bring a large market.

My gut instinct is the pitch is this:

We get the teams that make this conference the frontrunner for the 5th auto bid. You aren't going to recover the special status but you make the Pac-6 into the Pac-8, 9, or 10 and go to the playoff four out of five or five out of five years, the media is going to treat you as one of the serious leagues. If you are making the playoff, your tv value arrives right there because you might not be a big boy but you are a bigger boy than MWC, AAC, Sun Belt, MAC, CUSA.

If they were market chasing, UNLV and Air Force are automatics.

I think Tulane and Memphis are the top targets for 7 and 8. They might be on the UTSA rising star bandwagon for 9.

But really think their hope is to skim contenders off and get them in the Pac and focus on getting in the big boy playoff every year.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

12 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

I have a theory about what Pac-6 is doing. Don't think they are giving a lot of consideration to whether someone is an academic peer, geographically compatible, or bring a large market.

My gut instinct is the pitch is this:

We get the teams that make this conference the frontrunner for the 5th auto bid. You aren't going to recover the special status but you make the Pac-6 into the Pac-8, 9, or 10 and go to the playoff four out of five or five out of five years, the media is going to treat you as one of the serious leagues. If you are making the playoff, your tv value arrives right there because you might not be a big boy but you are a bigger boy than MWC, AAC, Sun Belt, MAC, CUSA.

If they were market chasing, UNLV and Air Force are automatics.

I think Tulane and Memphis are the top targets for 7 and 8. They might be on the UTSA rising star bandwagon for 9.

But really think their hope is to skim contenders off and get them in the Pac and focus on getting in the big boy playoff every year.

What makes Colorado State a contender outside of money? They haven't hit .500 since 2017.