Money...Money...MONEY!

14 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

SMU is closing in on 20k season tickets sold and hasn't played a down of football in the ACC.  Try again.

Sure, you have rich goobers that can buy blocks of tickets....buy no real fans that will actually use the tickets...

u_o4ZQ.gif

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GoGreenBeans said:

Good education, big greek life presence, notable alumni, deep football history (not AS deep as top-end SEC schools). Maybe I'm overrating them idk. I'm not an SMU fan in the slightest but it's hard to deny they have the pieces. Just 0 fan support to help

The only pieces they have are apparently unlimited funding and a horrible reputation. 

Not sure what benefit a big Greek presence provides.  Again, that deep football history is mostly of cheating.  They were a member of the SWC, and had some great players during that period; but the big dogs of the conference chose not to be associated with them.  

Before some react, I have been a student in their MBA program and actually enjoyed the school.  However, IMO it is far from an elite academic institution.  

If they had all the pieces, they would not have joined a conference where their closest athletic member is over 2000 miles from University Park.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, GoGreenBeans said:

Good education, big greek life presence, notable alumni, deep football history (not AS deep as top-end SEC schools). Maybe I'm overrating them idk.

You are wildly overrating them. Nobody who spent time at a big SEC football school on gameday would think to themselves, "this reminds me of SMU." Their deep football history is so deep it's six feet under. Today's Mustang fans only know the life of a G5 underachiever and getting mad at all the fans disguised as empty seats.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, SMU2006 said:

SMU is closing in on 20k season tickets sold and hasn't played a down of football in the ACC.  Try again.

LOL, 15,000 of those purchased by someone named Miller, Hunt, or Sewell.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if some small handful of SMU boosters were buying up those 20k season tickets, and planning on finding ways to distribute them to any takers.

If you want to discredit it you'd be better off suggesting it's all ACC fans ready to finally get a game in Dallas.  Even crummy seats for the FSU game are over $300 each on stubhub. I could see some buying the cheapest season tickets to make sure they get one. 

Its super simple here. Either the ACC GOR is the strongest contract ever written and it binds the ACC together until 2035 or its not and a settlement or breakaway occurs, most likely within 2-3 years max.

If its the first scenario, SMU hit a grand slam. Because they get 10 years of football against big time opponents in a power conference, as well as super high levels of college basketball. 

Even if it falls apart, they still got away from us in a conference setup, which is what they believe single-handedly defines sparedom to their alumni. Why? I have no idea. But its very true. Very similar to how TCU and Baylor look down on them and will never be in a conference with them again if they can help it.

1 hour ago, DentonStang said:

If you want to discredit it you'd be better off suggesting it's all ACC fans ready to finally get a game in Dallas.  Even crummy seats for the FSU game are over $300 each on stubhub. I could see some buying the cheapest season tickets to make sure they get one. 

Why would people over-pay to see a lopsided game like that?  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, DentonStang said:

I just went to ya'lls website, FSU game is sold out and BYU and TCU are close, pretty impressive in July.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, dodgefan said:

I just went to ya'lls website, FSU game is sold out and BYU and TCU are close, pretty impressive in July.

BYU will be interesting.  It's a Friday night game (very bad, horrible traffic) but there are a lot of mormons in Dallas and I have to imagine they have pent up demand to see a game in Dallas.

I predict and very polite and blonde crowd.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, dodgefan said:

Y'all's? 

You're as big an SMU fan as anyone else has ever been on this site. You fool no one.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, DentonStang said:

BYU will be interesting.  It's a Friday night game (very bad, horrible traffic) but there are a lot of mormons in Dallas and I have to imagine they have pent up demand to see a game in Dallas.

I predict a very polite and blonde crowd.

Ranking the confused SMU fan bros - SBNation.com

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/23/2024 at 3:14 PM, DentonStang said:

I'll suggest it.  It is ACC fans because Peruna's dumps draws more flies than a smuT football game.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/23/2024 at 12:29 PM, UNTLifer said:

Hell, we did that back in the day.  Who was the alumni from, I believe Thailand, that purchased tickets?  Chan something?

If I remember correctly, that was to fulfil a requirement to stay D1 or become D1 and that alumnus did a great service to NT by his action. 

I am not sure why SMU's supporters buy tickets that are never used.  I guess it looks good in the box score, but all those empty seats are hard to hide.  

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

If I remember correctly, that was to fulfil a requirement to stay D1 or become D1 and that alumnus did a great service to NT by his action. 

I am not sure why SMU's supporters buy tickets that are never used.  I guess it looks good in the box score, but all those empty seats are hard to hide.  

Hard to fill seats with opponents no one has heard of and/or cares about in a sports market like Dallas.

As illustrated by three sellouts already (TCU, BYU, FSU) if teams that actually matter are coming that gets people interested.  

Edited by SMU2006
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

56 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

It was Charn (forget his last name), and it was a requirement in 1994 to move up from 1AA to 1A (technically both D1).

1 hour ago, SMU2006 said:

Hard to fill seats with opponents no one has heard of and/or cares about in a sports market like Dallas.

As illustrated by three sellouts already (TCU, BYU, FSU) if teams that actually matter are coming that gets people interested.  

Yes, you depend on the opponents fans to fill  your stadium

I guess that explains why NT fans at your stadium outnumbered SMU fans

It was not support for NT, but SMU fans just had no interest in the game against such an unworthy foe.

The buy a player NIL era, should greatly help SMU and it has the opposite effect on NT  

The ACC will be an interesting experiment, if SMU can't win; it will be a disaster.  If SMU can win, it will be interesting if SMU's home attendance improves. 

SMU bought their way into the ACC, time will tell if it is a good investment.  Frequent flyer miles should be a significant source of revenue.   

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1