Money...Money...MONEY!

1 hour ago, Big Z said:

Do some of you not realize that your bad ratings go to Big Z?  

Unless you want to penalize the poster for providing information, than a bad emoji review is not appropriate.

If you think Mr. Miller should have found a much better charity to donate millions to, than state that. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

I hate SMU as much as the next person but it would be dishonest of me to say it wouldn’t be amazing if we had someone like that with that much $$ that gave it to the ath dept  

now…..it’s ultimately not going to matter in the big picture and it’s going to be a waste of his money (SMU will be back down in a few years when the ACC implodes) but it has to be great to have access to that kind of money. 

but hey SMU…..good for you little man 

• Puking Eagle 2

David Miller is a transformational leader making massive improvements in both the athletic and academic sides.  He is a golden god.  I'm hoping we build him a statue.  I will making burnt offerings to it.  Perhaps I'll burn horned frogs up on the altar.  A pleasing aroma.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 2

30 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

now…..it’s ultimately not going to matter in the big picture and it’s going to be a waste of his money (SMU will be back down in a few years when the ACC implodes)

If I've learned anything over the past 20 years or so about conference realignment, it's that no one has any clue what is going to happen until it happens.  The ACC could very well implode.  With indications that neither the B1G or SEC want FSU or Clemson, it's possible that they just decide to stay in the ACC.  Or maybe the ACC works out a new TV deal that beats the Big XII.  The best thing schools can do is to try to keep advancing conferences and not be left behind in an inferior conference.  SMU has done that.  It may not be enough, but they are almost certainly in a better spot now than they were in the current American Conference.

• Puking Eagle 1

4 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

If I've learned anything over the past 20 years or so about conference realignment, it's that no one has any clue what is going to happen until it happens.  The ACC could very well implode.  With indications that neither the B1G or SEC want FSU or Clemson, it's possible that they just decide to stay in the ACC.  Or maybe the ACC works out a new TV deal that beats the Big XII.  The best thing schools can do is to try to keep advancing conferences and not be left behind in an inferior conference.  SMU has done that.  It may not be enough, but they are almost certainly in a better spot now than they were in the current American Conference.

Considering the Power Four are a year or two away from a complete breakaway this might be the understatement of the century.

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 6

2 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

Considering the Power Four are a year or two away from a complete breakaway this might be the understatement of the century.

The Power 4 might be a year or two away from becoming the Power 3.

The article claims that David Miller has ensured SMU's place among the elite, but it's still up in the air whether the ACC survives. The leadership of the conference is a mess. Commissioner James Phillips is getting his panties in a bunch over criticism of former commissioner John Swofford and taking shots at FSU and Clemson like he doesn't care about holding the conference together any more.

If FSU and Clemson get stuck in the ACC it'll be the first time a Power 5/4/3/2 conference heavyweight said it was going to leave and had to stay in the marriage.

Maybe they will do it for the sake of the kids (SMU/Cal/Stanford).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rcade said:

The article claims that David Miller has ensured SMU's place among the elite

Their Death Penalty already ensured their elite status in college sports history. 

Buying their way into a conference just labels them as rich, but not actually worthy...

All Hat And No Cattle - Meaning & Origin Of The Phrase

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, ScreamingEaglesFan said:

I think we should draft our very own Bret Ryan to do that for us. 

You mean Brint Ryan.  He's sent a lot of dollars UNT's way.  I think part of our problem is that we have our reliable 17 *or so* donors that we rely on for everything.  If those donors could see more big money donors coming in, it might make them more likely to step up further. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, DentonStang said:

David Miller is a transformational leader making massive improvements in both the athletic and academic sides.  He is a golden god.  I'm hoping we build him a statue.  I will making burnt offerings to it.  Perhaps I'll burn horned frogs up on the altar.  A pleasing aroma.

Actually the aroma smells like horse shit. [Sorry, I meant Mustang shit].

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

SMU brings a lot of money and glitz, but no real fan base.  Their attendance will not improve significantly with their new conference alignment.  I am talking about actual butts in the stands, not ticket purchase that is never used by their fans.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, drex said:

SMU brings a lot of money and glitz, but no real fan base.  Their attendance will not improve significantly with their new conference alignment.  I am talking about actual butts in the stands, not ticket purchase that is never used by their fans.

Also it's not as much about cheeks in the seats as it is eyes on t.v. when they play. Whether they like it or not we are both in the same boat regarding these issues. The advantage they have is that fans will tune in not to see them play but to watch who they play.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

53 minutes ago, drex said:

They have the money and "prestige" of an elite SEC school with the fanbase support of...well...UNT. Their few actual fans are very loud (as we are all well aware) but they don't show out in numbers

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

6 minutes ago, GoGreenBeans said:

They have the money and "prestige" of an elite SEC school with the fanbase support of...well...UNT. Their few actual fans are very loud (as we are all well aware) but they don't show out in numbers

The prestige of an elite SEC school?  How so?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

The prestige of an elite SEC school?  How so?

Good education, big greek life presence, notable alumni, deep football history (not AS deep as top-end SEC schools). Maybe I'm overrating them idk. I'm not an SMU fan in the slightest but it's hard to deny they have the pieces. Just 0 fan support to help

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 minutes ago, GoGreenBeans said:

Good education, big greek life presence, notable alumni, deep football history (not AS deep as top-end SEC schools). Maybe I'm overrating them idk. I'm not an SMU fan in the slightest but it's hard to deny they have the pieces. Just 0 fan support to help

I guess I don't get it.  Maybe there are some similarities to Vanderbilt, but not to anything I would call an "elite" SEC school.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, drex said:

SMU is closing in on 20k season tickets sold and hasn't played a down of football in the ACC.  Try again.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

SMU is closing in on 20k season tickets sold and hasn't played a down of football in the ACC.  Try again.

2 hours ago, drex said:

Might want to read his post again.

• Upvote 1