Abner Haynes has Died

2 hours ago, greenjoe said:

Abner Haynes played football here when the playing part was the easy part.  The abuse he had to deal with, likely every day, must have made him wonder why he chose to come here in the first place.  Abner Haynes and his teammate Leon King blocked so that others could run.  They carried the ball so that the  ball later generations carried was lighter.  And thank you to the University of North Texas (NTSC, NTSU) for offering these opportunities some 10 years before those opportunities became fashionable.

My Dad took me to see my first football game.  I’ll never forget him saying we were going to see “Little Abner.”

There should be a statue to Abner Haynes next to Joe Greene’s.  I’m just sorry Abner wont see it.  

IMO, this part of our history should be glorified as much as UTEP honors and glorifies their 1966 MBB National Title.

Maybe one day someone will document this team in film/cinema, profiling as many people as possible who were a part of the story.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 6

4 hours ago, Udomann said:

Dallas Texans... this so predates me but what cool collectible. I suppose he retired a Chief. RIP to a UNT legend

He played the best part of his career for the Chiefs/Texans.  He is in the Chiefs Ring of Honor.  He finished his career for the Dolphins and the Broncos.  I believe his entire career was AFL.

Edited by UNT86
  • Upvote 2