Four ACC schools finalizing joining FSU and Clemson in the Big 12

Four ACC schools are reportedly finalizing a deal to join FSU and Clemson in the Big 12 according to long-time college football radio host Greg Swaim -- who claimed that the Big Ten and SEC won't be adding new members anytime soon.

"Working to verify a report from two staffers that at least four ACC schools have agreed in principle to join Clemson and FSU in their exit, and likely to the Big12," Swaim prefaced before saying, "Also continuing to hear unanimously that the B1G and SEC will not be adding anytime soon."

read more: https://glorycolorado.com/posts/rumor-four-acc-schools-finalizing-joining-fsu-clemson-big-12

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

2 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

I don’t know why you’re laughing.  ACC would then raid AAC and we’re not going as long as the school you’re laughing at is in it. 

I agree....but "IF" that played out for NT wouldn't it be a kick in the gonads for Smut...

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

I agree....but "IF" that played out for NT wouldn't it be a kick in the gonads for Smut...

Yes, but I care about UNT above all else.  We would lose the top half of AAC and end up back in CUSA effectively.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

Four ACC schools are reportedly finalizing a deal to join FSU and Clemson in the Big 12 according to long-time college football radio host Greg Swaim -- who claimed that the Big Ten and SEC won't be adding new members anytime soon.

"Working to verify a report from two staffers that at least four ACC schools have agreed in principle to join Clemson and FSU in their exit, and likely to the Big12," Swaim prefaced before saying, "Also continuing to hear unanimously that the B1G and SEC will not be adding anytime soon."

read more: https://glorycolorado.com/posts/rumor-four-acc-schools-finalizing-joining-fsu-clemson-big-12

This is the same article posted on GMG last Thursday....2 pages of posts....  

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

This is the same article posted on GMG last Thursday....2 pages of posts....

That's a different article with a different source.

This new story was sparked by a radio host posting on X that he was "working to verify a report," which is such a mealy mouthed way to put information out there that it made me cry into my UNT journalism degree.

4 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

Wasn't there a conference realignment thread dedicated to rumors/speculation?

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, rcade said:

That's a different article with a different source.

This new story was sparked by a radio host posting on X that he was "working to verify a report," which is such a mealy mouthed way to put information out there that it made me cry into my UNT journalism degree.

This article is dated July 13.  It's basically a re-hash of the same article/info, on the same link (glorycolorado.com), from the previous July 11 article.  Nothing new.  Click bait.

2 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

There's a whole forum dedicated to it.  Maybe one of the mods can move this thread there.

When the ACC implodes (and it will) this will directly impact the AAC and UNT football.

I could probably guess who those other 4 schools are... But if this happens then I do not see the ACC being rebuilt, I think the other power conferences will pick a couple remaining schools, just enough to prevent the ACC from ever being considered a power conference again. 

8 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

How close is UNT to being an AAU school?

A few years ago when we were still in CUSA, Altimore Collins & Company released a report/analysis on conference realignment covering a broad set of categories (not just football wins) that play a part in determining which schools fit a conference's makeup.  In many ways these were areas important to university boards and presidents.

Here's a slide from that presentation.  It's not clear exactly what the relationship is between AAU status and New AAU status.  Is one the big league and the other the minor league?  Will the AAU expand beyond what it is now or will the New AAU take over?  The author doesn't seem to think very highly of the New AAU designation, but he listed those universities in green (including UNT) that carried the New AAU designation at the time.

I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but he went out of his way to question the legitimacy of fellow CUSA members FIU, UAB, UTSA and MWC UNM being on the New AAU list, yet didn't mention UNT at all.  Did he consider us more worthy than the other three for New AAU or not even worthy of a negative mention?  I take it as a good thing as there were plenty of other New AAU members he didn't zing, so I assume he felt we were part of that group.  You'll need to zoom in to read his notes/comments.

image.png.2f9edda3acf39a8764a3a808881b07c9.png

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, NT80 said:

When the ACC implodes (and it will) this will directly impact the AAC and UNT football.

Just asking, but how do you think the implosion of the ACC will impact UNT? I have not seen us on anyone's wish list.

3 hours ago, keith said:

A few years ago when we were still in CUSA, Altimore Collins & Company released a report/analysis on conference realignment covering a broad set of categories (not just football wins) that play a part in determining which schools fit a conference's makeup.  In many ways these were areas important to university boards and presidents.

Here's a slide from that presentation.  It's not clear exactly what the relationship is between AAU status and New AAU status.  Is one the big league and the other the minor league?  Will the AAU expand beyond what it is now or will the New AAU take over?  The author doesn't seem to think very highly of the New AAU designation, but he listed those universities in green (including UNT) that carried the New AAU designation at the time.

I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but he went out of his way to question the legitimacy of fellow CUSA members FIU, UAB, UTSA and MWC UNM being on the New AAU list, yet didn't mention UNT at all.  Did he consider us more worthy than the other three for New AAU or not even worthy of a negative mention?  I take it as a good thing as there were plenty of other New AAU members he didn't zing, so I assume he felt we were part of that group.  You'll need to zoom in to read his notes/comments.

image.png.2f9edda3acf39a8764a3a808881b07c9.png

This list is 10 years old. Current members in the ACC,AAC, SEC,and BIG 12 include but are not limited to Duke,UVA,G.T.,North Carolina, Miami, Pitt,Tulane,USF,Rice,Texas,A&M,Florida, Colorado,Arizona,Utah and Kansas.