Commissioner Greg Sankey says SEC not recruiting other schools, but...

Sankey denies recruiting schools (to keep from litigation), but if you read between the lines... they are waiting for the courts to free Florida St, Clemson, etc....

In the first media days with Texas and Oklahoma as SEC members, Sankey was asked multiple times about the future of the league, and how much he pays attention to the current lawsuits between Florida State, Clemson and the ACC.

Judges in Florida, South Carolina and North Carolina are currently hearing arguments in those cases. Florida State and Clemson have sued challenging the grant of rights; the ACC has sued those schools to defend the conference.

"Our presidents have been clear that I am not going to entangle us in litigation around expansion. So I pay attention, but I'm not engaged in those conversations. The broader implications, obviously if things change, then there's a new level of uncertainty."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/40568517/commissioner-greg-sankey-says-sec-not-recruiting-other-schools

• Upvote 1

Either that GOR is the strongest contract in sports history, or it will get busted. So far, that GOR strength has held up and it's what SMU is banking on to last. But the moment that it gets busted or settled, then the reality is that FSU, Clemson, UNC, Uva, Va Tech, Miami, Duke, NC State, Louisville, Pitt, and Georgia Tech are gone to the other three leagues.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Either that GOR is the strongest contract in sports history, or it will get busted. So far, that GOR strength has held up and it's what SMU is banking on to last. But the moment that it gets busted or settled, then the reality is that FSU, Clemson, UNC, Uva, Va Tech, Miami, Duke, NC State, Louisville, Pitt, and Georgia Tech are gone to the other three leagues.

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

• Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 7/16/2024 at 11:59 AM, SMU2006 said:

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Enjoy it while it lasts pony boy. After we're done raiding the ACC, we'll remind SMU that they're blackballed from the XII.

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

The first three, you're almost certainly right.  The last four, I doubt.

The Big XII already rejected Louisville.  Unless WV and Cincy insist on them for geographical proximity, I don't see them changing on that.

And if--big if--the BXII is able to land FSU and Clemson, they'd probably be very selective about who else they would select.

The B1G and SEC have indicated that they are not even interested in FSU and Clemson, although I think the SEC will probably cave.  But other than UNC and maybe a couple of others, I don't see the B1G or SEC digging very deep into the ACC pool.  They're watering down their conference and their revenues at that point.

I'm not sure which of the other P4 conferences would be interested in NC State, Pitt, and Georgia Tech.  I think they, along with Duke, would still be happy in an ACC even without FSU, Clemson, or UNC.

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Too bad there's not a special place for fans of other schools to post

The amount of this that is allowed here is something you don't see anywhere else. No matter how many times Mean Green fans have commented, it seems to be ignored.

do-not-question-or-argue-admins.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

The Big XII already rejected Louisville.  Unless WV and Cincy insist on them for geographical proximity, I don't see them changing on that.

And if--big if--the BXII is able to land FSU and Clemson, they'd probably be very selective about who else they would select.

The B1G and SEC have indicated that they are not even interested in FSU and Clemson, although I think the SEC will probably cave.  But other than UNC and maybe a couple of others, I don't see the B1G or SEC digging very deep into the ACC pool.  They're watering down their conference and their revenues at that point.

I'm not sure which of the other P4 conferences would be interested in NC State, Pitt, and Georgia Tech.  I think they, along with Duke, would still be happy in an ACC even without FSU, Clemson, or UNC.

Pitt and Louisville are high on the list because WVU, Cincinnati and UCF want friends to play with 

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Too bad there's not a special place for post about conferences

This is going to affect your school’s conference faster than you think!

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

23 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

The B1G and SEC are saying that now, but its because the networks aren't looking to start a new contract with any of these contracts. The B1G is sticking to its AAU status thing, but the SEC will add them eventually to keep the B1G away from good brands in the Southeast. It just may take a few more years and it may be a situation where the SEC gets them both for cheap, the way the B1G got Oregon and Washington for half payouts.

I still think we are gonna see the ACC get absorbed like the Pac-12 did. If I had to guess, it'll be like this:

B1G: Rutgers, Penn State, Maryland, Virginia, UNC, Duke, Georgia Tech, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington (24 schools, all AAU institutions)

SEC: Va Tech, NC State, Clemson, South Carolina FSU, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, Ole Miss, MSU, Bama, and Auburn (20 schools) 

Big 12: WVU, Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, Cincy, UCF, Iowa State, Kansas, KSU, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, Houston, Colorado, BYU, Utah, Arizona, Arizona State, and Stanford (20 schools) 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

The B1G and SEC are saying that now, but its because the networks aren't looking to start a new contract with any of these contracts. The B1G is sticking to its AAU status thing, but the SEC will add them eventually to keep the B1G away from good brands in the Southeast. It just may take a few more years and it may be a situation where the SEC gets them both for cheap, the way the B1G got Oregon and Washington for half payouts.

I still think we are gonna see the ACC get absorbed like the Pac-12 did. If I had to guess, it'll be like this:

B1G: Rutgers, Penn State, Maryland, Virginia, UNC, Duke, Georgia Tech, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington (24 schools, all AAU institutions)

SEC: Va Tech, NC State, Clemson, South Carolina FSU, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, Ole Miss, MSU, Bama, and Auburn (20 schools) 

Big 12: WVU, Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, Cincy, UCF, Iowa State, Kansas, KSU, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, Houston, Colorado, BYU, Utah, Arizona, Arizona State, and Stanford (20 schools) 

Nebraska is no longer an AAU institution, but otherwise your delegation makes sense. 

The question will certainly come up from $mut...like with the PAC breakup, if there are 2-3 ACC schools left behind will the ACC try to keep the brand name and reload?   

3 hours ago, NT80 said:

Nebraska is no longer an AAU institution, but otherwise your delegation makes sense. 

The question will certainly come up from $mut...like with the PAC breakup, if there are 2-3 ACC schools left behind will the ACC try to keep the brand name and reload?   

True on Nebraska. They got kicked out of the AAU after they joined the B1G, so it obviously matters big time to that league to have strong academics and strong athletics. 

The ACC would probably stay around as a conference but it wouldn’t be a power league anymore. Probably stay with the leftovers in the East and SMU, while adding in Memphis, Tulane, USF, ECU, UAB, and probably FAU. We would just back full with CUSA schools.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1