UTD is bullying us

4 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

Does that exist?

Absolutely, but it is a bit like capturing a photo of Big Foot. If you climb to the top of Apogee against a good opponent, on a nice day and cheer very loudly, you might catch a quick glimpse of a full student section sometime late in the first quarter or early second quarter. 

Well their colors are green and orange. Everyone wants to claim North Texas and Dallas (see TAM Commerce).

We taught them how to play the billboard game.

GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Denton seems to be the target of several schools renting billboards. I know SMU, but I could have sworn to see NCTC and UTA as well. Now, if it's the same billboard, then someone should look into who's in control of leasing the billboard and where they went to school.

• Upvote 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

12 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

UTD has giant billboards next to the highway in Denton and all across DFW claiming to be: The No. 1 University in North Texas. 

The billboards are green and it is a direct shot at us. 

And while I will acknowledge that UTD certainly has a few smart students, it does lack the traditional college experience that North Texas provides. 

I say we respond with a billboard near THEIR campus with a big picture of our full student section at a football game and make it say something like: “Have a real college experience at The University of North Texas”.

Those nerdy chess geeks don’t even have a football team.

Imagine if both UTD and UTA had football teams right now 

• Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

14 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

I say we respond with a billboard near THEIR campus with a big picture of our full student section at a football game and make it say something like: “Have a real college experience at The University of North Texas”.

Small flaw with this: there are no billboards near UTD.

I will say their ads stress their "superior" academics while our ads stress low cost, good food, fun times.  IMHO, they market to the more serious student while we market for numbers and diversity. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you want, but may be one reason we're not taken seriously as a top flight university in spite of our Tier One status. I may be wrong but I've always taken issue with our advertising that looks almost juvenile when compared to say...UTD. Our latest commercial shows a recent grad accepting an entry level, office cubicle job. Probably realistic, but not exactly lofty goals. I'd like to see us stress our academicly diverse opportunities through our Ststem (medical school, law school) and the lofty positions earned by it. Don't get me wrong, I'm proud to be an alum and I'm not slamming anyone's degree or professional standing. My beef is with our marketing strategy.  That is all.

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NM Green said:

Well their colors are green and orange. Everyone wants to claim North Texas and Dallas (see TAM Commerce).

We taught them how to play the billboard game.

GMG

Which is why we should incorporate our entire UNT system in our advertising. No other university offers the post grad opportunities that UNT does, yet we're silent on the subject. We are the giant that continues to sleep and squander opportunities. 

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

6 hours ago, ColoradoEagle said:

Small flaw with this: there are no billboards near UTD.

Coit Road and George Bush Tollway near there both have plenty of billboards we could rent.

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 3

16 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

UTD has giant billboards next to the highway in Denton and all across DFW claiming to be: The No. 1 University in North Texas. 

The billboards are green and it is a direct shot at us. 

And while I will acknowledge that UTD certainly has a few smart students, it does lack the traditional college experience that North Texas provides. 

Those nerdy chess geeks don’t even have a football team.

Apparently, if these signs are prevalent all across the DFW area; they are also targeting UTA, SMU, TCU and the other area colleges.  

No One thinks UTD is the number one university in just about anything in the DFW metromess.  

As the value of a college degree continue to diminish, colleges are going to have to compete more intensely for students. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Apparently, if these signs are prevalent all across the DFW area; they are also targeting UTA, SMU, TCU and the other area colleges.  

No One thinks UTD is the number one university in just about anything in the DFW metromess.  

As the value of a college degree continue to diminish, colleges are going to have to compete more intensely for students. 

UTD has the best academics in DFW, especially science and engineering. I used to be an academic advisor in their College of Science. Kids were super smart. They gave chess scholarships better than our football scholarships. Honors students got tons of $$. Their top students got full tuition, housing, stipend, and study abroad for free if they wanted it. They recruit top high school students.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1