Harrison Keller named next president of the University of North Texas

he president serves as the CEO of the university, and oversees university administration and operations. The role is appointed by the UNT System board of regents, and the president reports to the UNT System Chancellor. The president also sets the institution’s vision and strategic objectives by enhancing the university’s academic excellence, strengthening its portfolio of research and scholarship, and fostering the university’s student-focused identity, the release states.

The search for the university system’s president was completed through the UNT Presidential Search Advisory Committee. The group was led by Laura Wright, chair of the UNT System board of regents, with Chancellor Michael Williams serving as vice chair. Its members included representatives from the board of regents as well as university faculty, staff, students, administrators and alumni.

“Dr. Keller is a leader who will build strategic partnerships, recruit world-class talent, and advance UNT’s role in meeting the demands of our region, state and nation,” Wright said in the release. “I am certain he will advance the university while remaining committed to student success, academic excellence and growing our presence as a Tier One research university.”

Link: https://communityimpact.com/dallas-fort-worth/frisco/education/2024/07/10/harrison-keller-named-next-president-of-the-university-of-north-texas/

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, ScreamingEaglesFan said:

He actual just worked at UT. His undergrad degree is from Notre Dame and Masters and PhD are from Georgetown University.

But does he support college athletics?... and can he bring back the Flying Worm as our true logo, lol?  

Here is part of a Q&A from WSU President Kirk Schultz who is stepping down in a year as Prez.   His advice to a new President at any school about their culture and athletics....

The President of the United States will sometimes leave a letter in the Oval Office for the successor. What would you write to your successor at Washington State? What advice would you give?

My advice would be to dive in and get to know the people, the culture of the place, the different campuses, the state... before making lots of decisions. I think sometimes presidents come in and feel they’ve got to show that they’re decisive in the first six months by making critical decisions. My advice is always to spend time getting to know everybody and everything. Talk to some people before jumping in and making all kinds of big decisions that you might later regret.

Your question makes me think about the advice I got from a mentor who was President of Virginia Tech years ago. It’s important for the president to have a working relationship with the men’s basketball coach and the football coach. I got that advice 15 years ago, and it’s still just as valid today as it was back then. Presidents can no longer distance themselves from the athletic enterprise the way maybe they could have 10 years ago. If a president is not willing to wade in, I think that’s going to be really tough. That would be the two things — get engaged with athletics and give yourself time to get to know a place before making decisions.

On 7/12/2024 at 9:58 AM, NT80 said:

The President of the United States will sometimes leave a letter in the Oval Office for the successor. What would you write to your successor at Washington State? What advice would you give?

My advice would be to dive in and get to know the people, the culture of the place, the different campuses, the state... before making lots of decisions. I think sometimes presidents come in and feel they’ve got to show that they’re decisive in the first six months by making critical decisions. My advice is always to spend time getting to know everybody and everything. Talk to some people before jumping in and making all kinds of big decisions that you might later regret.

Well if President Keller does do this, I'd like him to get back to us and just tell us a little something about our culture. Near as I can tell we don't really have one....😎 

How is it possible to end up with a sole finalist for this position?  There was really no one else?  Initially underwhelmed...maybe there's *something* there, but it's unclear from the release why he is the right person at this time for UNT.  Just some warmed over platitudes.  I look forward to hearing Mr. Keller's vision for UNT.

Edited by keith
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

19 minutes ago, keith said:

How is it possible to end up with a sole finalist for this position?  There was really no one else?  Initially underwhelmed...maybe there's *something* there, but it's unclear from the release why he is the right person at this time for UNT.  Just some warmed over platitudes.  I look forward to hearing Mr. Keller's vision for UNT.

I’m sure there were several candidates, but most don’t want their current employer knowing they are applying elsewhere.   Once a top candidate is named the others probably withdrew from consideration.  Same as for coaching jobs.

He was head of a state agency that oversees higher education policy.  Probably well connected in Austin.  Hopefully that helps UNT at budget time. 

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, keith said:

The term “lone finalist” refers to the person who got the job.  I believe there is a 21 day waiting period between naming a lone finalist and the job becoming official.

• Upvote 2