FSU and Clemson to Big12?

There are other schools with enormous influence that will neither want to be left in a watered down ACC and wouldd have little interest in the Big XII.

I could still see Notre Dame, Stanford, Virginia, and North Carolina joining the BIG.

It depends on who all the Big XII eventually accepts, but Cal and SMU may be better off joining Oregon St and Washington St in the MWC.

• Upvote 2

On 7/17/2024 at 9:44 AM, Matt from A700 said:

If that many schools bolt, not only do I think Memphis, USF, and Tulane are gone to backfill the ACC, but I think all of our Eastern teams would be threats to try to leave: UAB, FAU, ECU, possibly even Charlotte and Temple.

Memphis academics are a 100% non-starter for the SEC.  They are prime Big 12.  Mediocre media market and poor academics will align well there.

USF and Tulane are intriguing.  USF especially given their financial commitment and AAU status.

FAU, ECU, Charlotte, and Temple have a better chance of going to the NFC East than the ACC.

Edited by SMU2006
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

So the " BIG MOUNTAIN " podcast today had a contracts,patent, and trade mark attorney on today who discussed the FSU/ Clemson lawsuits against the ACC . There are 3 courts that the ligating parties have filled in, North Carolina , Florida, and South Carolina. The two suits filed out of North Carolina were allowed to proceed because both judges are concerned about their states domain [ think I got that right] rather that the actual question regarding each schools who signed the media rights contract, which is separate from the ESPN agreement . The rights agreement was signed and executed  in North Carolina which this attorney said should hold precedence over the other two states. It states that each school assigned its media rights to the AAC for the duration of this contract regardless if they left the conference. The ESPN contract is just that, a media contract for a certain amount of money for a defined length of time .This is a separate contract and  has nothing to do with the ACC media rights contract with its members other than the contract is with the ACC and not its individual members. The attorney went on to say that it is usual for contracts regarding patents and trade marks to be 20 or 30 years in length so this should not be an issue. My takeaway is that FSU/Clemson are going to have to prove that the ACC put a gun to their heads and made them sign a contract that has produced hundreds of million dollars for them and the conference, which is the only question that needs to be addressed. This attorney was really good and spoke in terms that even a "C" graduate from the NTSU business school could understand.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

I think I understand what the attorney is saying.

😏

I was referring to myself as the "C" graduate from UNT business school , no one else. Sorry if you thought I implied otherwise.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, wardly said:

So the " BIG MOUNTAIN " podcast today had a contracts,patent, and trade mark attorney on today who discussed the FSU/ Clemson lawsuits against the ACC . There are 3 courts that the ligating parties have filled in, North Carolina , Florida, and South Carolina. The two suits filed out of North Carolina were allowed to proceed because both judges are concerned about their states domain [ think I got that right] rather that the actual question regarding each schools who signed the media rights contract, which is separate from the ESPN agreement . The rights agreement was signed and executed  in North Carolina which this attorney said should hold precedence over the other two states. It states that each school assigned its media rights to the AAC for the duration of this contract regardless if they left the conference. The ESPN contract is just that, a media contract for a certain amount of money for a defined length of time .This is a separate contract and  has nothing to do with the ACC media rights contract with its members other than the contract is with the ACC and not its individual members. The attorney went on to say that it is usual for contracts regarding patents and trade marks to be 20 or 30 years in length so this should not be an issue. My takeaway is that FSU/Clemson are going to have to prove that the ACC put a gun to their heads and made them sign a contract that has produced hundreds of million dollars for them and the conference, which is the only question that needs to be addressed. This attorney was really good and spoke in terms that even a "C" graduate from the NTSU business school could understand.

The "C" student being me.