If you can accept we are a minor league now

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Damn, you must be a football genius to have determined Morris's faith at NT after one single year.  

I think Morris accomplished a lot of the offensive side in one year, and I look forward to a continuation of that and am hopeful that many of the defensive issues will be positively addressed.  

Just for grins, who do you think NT should have hired that would have a better change of success?

He cost us a bowl game. 

Made no changes to the staff that controlled the worst defense in the country. Also, dictated them to do nothing differently... except for "relearning how do tackle." Whatever that means. 

Offense showed flashes... often times vs umbrella defenses and down 3 scores. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

This is Morris's year to prove his coaching ability. Win 6 or more he stays. That defense is the big question. Hope it doesn't bite him in his arse but if it does it will be his own fault.

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Then make it happen.  Just another excuse.

Oh. Never thought about that.

Maybe something like this:

Hey, Denton!! Start caring about our university by coming to DATCU Stadium!! Take out 4-5 hours of your Saturday to come over to the stadium and watch our marching band perform!! They will play live (during a football game that features UNT) and even march on the field!! It only costs $25 to attend!! 

DATCU sellouts are right around the corner!!

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

15 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Damn, you must be a football genius to have determined Morris's faith at NT after one single year.  

I think Morris accomplished a lot of the offensive side in one year, and I look forward to a continuation of that and am hopeful that many of the defensive issues will be positively addressed.  

Just for grins, who do you think NT should have hired that would have a better change of success?

This isn’t Todd Dodge taking over for Darrell Dickey or Seth Littrell taking over for Dan McCarney. He took over from an offense first coach. I don’t see where the appreciable difference is between him and his predecessor other than Chandler Rogers ability to run and pass. That ability left for Cal to meet up with a very good O-line coach we used to have. Where is the hope for the future? This guy is no better than Littrell and the fact that he is less committed to this program than Littrell ever was shows he is worse other than having the “new” label associated with him.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

Really have to stop with the crap about liberal arts.  I was in the school of business, but literally all the rest of my tailgating crew was in some form of the arts or teaching.  Common thread is that we all played sports growing up and care about sports.  Most of those kids now go to “football” schools.  I have no clue what we’re doing in the admissions department but I’m sure there is a certain profile that is more likely to be engaged on campus, with sports and that will end up as a donor.  Start there if you want to see change.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, NT93 said:

Correct.  If he wins it won’t be long term because he’ll get hired away.  Same thing for the next guy we bring in.  And the next.  And the next…

That is why I championed Patrick Cobbs for the job.  He loves North Texas, wants to be here, and I am sure has turned down other offers.  Make him the HC and let him hire excellent coordinators from his connections in the game.  We need stability at the top.

• Upvote 7
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

4 hours ago, Dannymacfan said:

I for one was very disappointed with the showing Morris had against California at our home opener last year.

We bitch about playing Wyoming this year but only drew 20,000 or less for a PAC 12 home opener last year. We didn't play well against the Bears  because we were not very good and searching for a starting QB. Also we had the worst defense in the nation which didn't get any better during the season. Having said that we were still just a few plays away from a 7 & 5 record and being invited to bowl game that our fans  would not have attended and no one would have watched on tv.

• Upvote 6
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Venson said:

The few fans that we have, that is where they are most likely coming from. I am sure they are not the art, music, social sciences folks.

Hey there. My first degree was music performance. The other 2 business and I'm just about as invested a fan as you get (if my wife didn't hate the fooseball I'd be in the club every Saturday.  Instead I watch on my phone in the bathroom cowering with my cat like the whipped man I am)

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1

On 7/15/2024 at 11:54 AM, NT80 said:

This is a false statement.  That's like saying UT-Austin is a commuter school because most students commute from somewhere off campus, but in Austin.  UNT gets a lot of students that reside in DFW, just because it's close.   But UNT has a huge residential dorm community on campus and a ton of apartments and houses close to campus.  It's not a commuter school at all like UTA, with little to no dorms on campus.  

You're right about that. Many more dorms on campus and around campus these days.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

That is why I championed Patrick Cobbs for the job.  He loves North Texas, wants to be here, and I am sure has turned down other offers.  Make him the HC and let him hire excellent coordinators from his connections in the game.  We need stability at the top.

I like Pat like we all do but does he not need to prove himself more before he is given anymore promotions?

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Oh. Never thought about that.

Maybe something like this:

Hey, Denton!! Start caring about our university by coming to DATCU Stadium!! Take out 4-5 hours of your Saturday to come over to the stadium and watch our marching band perform!! They will play live (during a football game that features UNT) and even march on the field!! It only costs $25 to attend!! 

DATCU sellouts are right around the corner!!

Or stay at home and experience your own winning season on NCAA football 25 video game

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

On 7/16/2024 at 6:03 PM, Dannymacfan said:

I like Pat like we all do but does he not need to prove himself more before he is given anymore promotions?

I think he has the connections to hire one hell of a staff and the game knowledge to manage the clock, timeouts, etc.  Let his coordinators run the O & D and let him be the face of the program. 

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I think he has the connections to hire one hell of a staff and the game knowledge to manage the clock, timeouts, etc.  Let his coordinators run the O & D and let him be the face of the program. 

I could be on board with that.  I certainly appreciate his loyalty. 

• Upvote 3

On 7/16/2024 at 11:45 AM, Cr1028 said:

This isn’t Todd Dodge taking over for Darrell Dickey or Seth Littrell taking over for Dan McCarney. He took over from an offense first coach. I don’t see where the appreciable difference is between him and his predecessor other than Chandler Rogers ability to run and pass. That ability left for Cal to meet up with a very good O-line coach we used to have. Where is the hope for the future? This guy is no better than Littrell and the fact that he is less committed to this program than Littrell ever was shows he is worse other than having the “new” label associated with him.

Ever even imagine  that it might take a coach more than one year to substantially upgrade a football program?

How do you support your contention that Morris is less committed to the program than Littrell? 

One, I have never believed the Kansas offer that Littrell supposedly turned down was anymore than his agent's ploy for getting Littrell a better contract.   

Two, I am not sure how you can compare pre-NIL coaches with coaches that must deal with massive turnover every year.  

You are giving credit to the offensive line coach for Rogers' success, yet are ignoring the HC and Offensive coordinator that create the game plans that allowed Rogers to be successful.  

Morris may not be successful at NT, that is an unknown for most that don't have the football clairvoyance that you possess. 

I think Morris had an adequate first year coaching, and I am looking forward to next year.  The new season will provide a much superior basis for evaluating Morris as a HC.   

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 7/16/2024 at 11:45 AM, Cr1028 said:

This leap from I-Love-Littrell into I-Do-Not-Like-Morris is noted.

You're right, though: this Morris hire was very different from any hire we've done going back....ages! We didn't flip from defense to offense, or the other way around.  We went from one guy in the Leach tree to another guy in the Leach tree.  Continuity from one hire to the next that I have never seen in my football fandom.

I get the bleakness heading into year 2.  NIL.  Necessary changes that were not made.

I think Morris still wants to figure this out, though.  He wants to get to that first BIG opportunity, similar to SL and KSU.  Giving up now would be throwing in the towel before he's been knocked down.

For me, personally, this is not very different from most offseason and year 2 or 3 of a recent hire.  Still very much, let's see how the first couple games play out and dreaming for wins.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I get the bleakness heading into year 2.  NIL.  Necessary changes that were not made.

Well stated.  This is exactly what is killing the interest this season.  We have a defensive tackle that goes 5-11 and did absolutely nothing to upgrade.  Why?

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

Well stated.  This is exactly what is killing the interest this season.  We have a defensive tackle that goes 5-11 and did absolutely nothing to upgrade.  Why?

Instead of the eye rolling poster just rolling eyes, why don't he explain his position on why he thinks upgrading the DL wasn't necessary and how we'll be just fine in that position group. This the gmg.com world I want to live in. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Instead of the eye rolling poster just rolling eyes, why don't he explain his position on why he thinks upgrading the DL wasn't necessary and how we'll be just fine in that position group. This the gmg.com world I want to live in. 

You mention this "defensive line" from last year.  I know not what you are talking about.  Defensive line.  What is that?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

Rod Brown is who I am assuming you are referring to when you state "we have a defensive tackle that goes 5-11..."  He has been one of our most consistent players on the DL for the past two years.  We still have Vailea and added VJ Bronson from Arkansas St. and some size in the freshman class.  I think the biggest change is our DE's are now true DE size.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/24/2024 at 5:30 PM, UNTLifer said:

Rod Brown is who I am assuming you are referring to when you state "we have a defensive tackle that goes 5-11..."  He has been one of our most consistent players on the DL for the past two years.  We still have Vailea and added VJ Bronson from Arkansas St. and some size in the freshman class.  I think the biggest change is our DE's are now true DE size.

Brown was much more successful under the prior regime when it came to accolades.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

7 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Just might be the step in competition unless you think that the AAC versus CUSA isn't a substantially upgrade.  

Outside of Tulane, I really don’t see the increase in competition from who we played in 2022.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

18 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Outside of Tulane, I really don’t see the increase in competition from who we played in 2022.

Yes and no. Memphis will be competitive in the AAC. I am interested to see what kind of sustainability Tulane shows after losing their coaching staff. 

Sort of the always present dark horse is ECU. They have decent facilities, a TON of support and is the obvious top G5 university in the Carolinas. 

Army, much like Navy and AF, is also a wildcard. Athletically, if they find the right guys to fit their system they can become a problem very quickly. 

Tulsa, meh. 

Temple, meh.