AAC discussing NIL compensation cap

https://x.com/WinterSportsLaw/status/180...1394481432

from the tweet:
"New AAC commissioner Tim Pernetti said the conference may discuss having its own NIL compensation cap (lower than $22M) for schools if the proposed House settlement is approved.

It could create conference wide balance, but it could harm competitiveness outside the conference."

this is AAC, but the problem it is trying to tackle extends to most G5 conferences-- that is, some teams with more resources can run away from the more cash strapped schools.

do you think CUSA and other G5s might try to do the same? if so, would the big spenders in the G5 (Memphis, USF, Temple, Liberty, Boise, CO state, SDSU, Washington ST, and Oregon ST all have football budgets of over 20 million) break away to form a new conference to escape this?

Edited by Coach Andy Mac
  • Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

So FX said they have $25 million for Memphis to use in NIL payments. I doubt UNT has $250,000. While I think a NIL cap for the AAC is a good idea I don't know if UNT could meet the minimum requirement.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Power Four Programs Offered 6-Figure NIL Deals to Colorado State’s Tory Horton, Brayden Fowler-Nicolosi

Huge fan of these two for their dedication and commitment to their teammates and school.  $600K is a LOT of money for 19-20 year-old kids to turn down. 

Between the transfer portal and NIL, the college football game just doesn't excite me like it once did.  With such high turnover rates every season, it's hard to get to know and follow a team.

I'm afraid it will get a lot worse before it gets better.

• Upvote 3