went to Lula B's with the wife and she nabbed this for me

Great find. Those extremely rare ceramic statues were cast in 1949 by Adah Art Studios of Dallas. (I only know of 4 remaining in existence) They were based on a cartoon of North Texas coach Odus Mitchell that Bill McClanahan had previously written for the Dallas Morning News.

That statue was subsequently the basis for the rare 1960's plaster NTSU bobbleheads that were made in Japan.

NORTH TEXAS STATE NTSU, Bobble (Bobbing) Head, 60's - Picture 1 of 4

NTSU Bobblehead on ebay

Here's the Bill McClanahan eagle used later in an NTSU decal.

Favorite UNT Logos/Traditions? - Page 2 - Mean Green Football -  GoMeanGreen.com

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

The Bride often selects North Teas collectibles as birthday or Christmas gifts. A pennant, probably from the inaugural January 1, 1948 Salad Bowl football game matching North Texas vs Nevada is one of this year's birthday gifts.

SALAD BOWL Pennant, 1947 - 1955, Rare - Picture 1 of 3

It will pair well with the 1948 Salad Bowl football programs that she has gifted to me.

gallery_1221_3_31095.jpg 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/7/2024 at 5:56 PM, ADLER said:

Great find. Those extremely rare ceramic statues were cast in 1949 by Adah Art Studios of Dallas. (I only know of 4 remaining in existence) They were based on a cartoon of North Texas coach Odus Mitchell that Bill McClanahan had previously written for the Dallas Morning News.

That statue was subsequently the basis for the rare 1960's plaster NTSU bobbleheads that were made in Japan.

NTSU Bobblehead on ebay

Damn, sounds like she got a steal then. She said she only paid $45 for it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2024 at 1:22 PM, Coffee and TV said:

Damn, sounds like she got a steal then. She said she only paid $45 for it. 

She got an outstanding deal. I paid hundreds each for the two that I have although the price for the second one was elevated due to it reportedly having been part of Larry McMurtry's personal collection.

I have accumulated several items from the 1940's North Texas teams...

20211219_002723.jpg.934399ad46f94025c70f6301ffcd3740.jpgOdus Mitchell's grave decorated on the 75th Anniversary of the 1946 Optimist Bowl

...but what I have never located is the elusive 1946 Optimist Bowl Program in which North Texas led by Odus Mitchell beat College of Pacific 14-13 in legendary coach Amos Alonzo Stagg's final game game of his illustrious career.

image.thumb.jpeg.b0650eadb4aa846937def64ccc6e081f.jpeg

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 3
  • Confused 1