Pernetti Interview

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

Here is another Pernetti interview from April 2024.  He talks about his views on the expanded CFP, FBS in general, and private equity getting involved with conferences as another revenue source.   

https://tulsa.rivals.com/news/new-aac-commissioner-says-cfp-expansion-is-encouraging

I like that he is thinking outside the box.  I just wish others on here would as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2024 at 10:45 PM, MCMLXXX said:

AAC commissioner Tim Pernetti on Memphis' goal of leaving conference (commercialappeal.com)

CA: The AAC recently added Army as a football-only member after SMU left for the ACC. Are there any discussions about adding another non-football member to replace SMU's other sports?

Pernetti: There are many active discussions going on right now about membership. And I think we will be proactive and aggressive related to what we think are good opportunities in the space for the conference. And I've been really encouraged by the inbound outreach that I've gotten from some institutions in the industry wanting to learn more about what we're doing, where we're headed and explaining to us why it's interesting.

Memphis begins $220M in stadium renovations (it's still not on their campus)...

image.jpeg.721e5fccbce972cb42c1e1fdbc293b47.jpeg

13 hours ago, NT80 said:

Memphis begins $220M in stadium renovations (it's still not on their campus)...

image.jpeg.721e5fccbce972cb42c1e1fdbc293b47.jpeg

They don't need a campus stadium as the community supports their program. What has the advantage our stadium being on campus done for attendance by students?

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, wardly said:

They don't need a campus stadium as the community supports their program. What has the advantage our stadium being on campus done for attendance by students?

Allows them to easily go to the football games.

When referring to NT, I have little doubt that student attendance would be much lower if the stadium was more than a short walk away from campus.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wardly said:

Sure...ask Baylor why they relocated their stadium to campus...and why USF is building a stadium on campus...

Sometimes I think you're not going to be happy until NT kills football.

Edited by NT80

6 hours ago, NT80 said:

Sure...ask Baylor why they relocated their stadium to campus...and why USF is building a stadium on campus...

Sometimes I think you're not going to be happy until NT kills football.

I have no idea why you think I want to kill football but came to the conclusion some time ago that you probably road the little bus to school. Baylor's new football stadium is on the river and looks great on tv. I have never attended a game there so have no idea what the proximity is to the campus. I do know that they are moving their basketball venue off campus to downtown Waco. Perhaps the next chat you have with their AD you could ask why.We are in violent agreement that a campus stadium that interested [key word] students could walk to you is preferable than one that is not. However it appears that the Memphis fan base doesn't mind attending an off campus stadium that saved the university several hundred million$ to duplicate the existing "Liberty Bowl". Just a guess but I would think that the Tigers participate in some costs associated with it but really don't know. What I do know is that if it ain't broke don't fix it.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

It def helps being on campus but, Wardly is right: if Memphis is happy with their community support then they aren't going to prioritize putting it on campus for students.

Having all that community and corporate funding (and facilities!)  sure gives them some leeway with who they can consider their target demographic.

Thinking long-term: ignoring your student body would not be wise.  If you have a spell of bad seasons, followed by an upswing, it will be hard to connect to recent grads and rebuild your base.

Edited by greenminer

16 hours ago, wardly said:

I have no idea why you think I want to kill football but came to the conclusion some time ago that you probably road the little bus to school. Baylor's new football stadium is on the river and looks great on tv. I have never attended a game there so have no idea what the proximity is to the campus. I do know that they are moving their basketball venue off campus to downtown Waco. Perhaps the next chat you have with their AD you could ask why.We are in violent agreement that a campus stadium that interested [key word] students could walk to you is preferable than one that is not. However it appears that the Memphis fan base doesn't mind attending an off campus stadium that saved the university several hundred million$ to duplicate the existing "Liberty Bowl". Just a guess but I would think that the Tigers participate in some costs associated with it but really don't know. What I do know is that if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Baylor's football stadium is on the Brazos just on the edge of campus and right along I35 for great visibility.

Baylor's new basketball arena, Foster Pavilion, opened this past year is also on the river but on the opposite side of I35.  It is located on the SW side catty-corner from McLane.  I35 separates it from the BU campus much like Apogee from our main campus.

All of Baylor's athletic facilities are now located along the Brazos River.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Baylor's football stadium is on the Brazos just on the edge of campus and right along I35 for great visibility.

Baylor's new basketball arena, Foster Pavilion, opened this past year is also on the river but on the opposite side of I35.  It is located on the SW side catty-corner from McLane.  I35 separates it from the BU campus much like Apogee from our main campus.

All of Baylor's athletic facilities are now located along the Brazos River.

Thanks for the information! I really appreciate it as I have not been to Waco in over 20 years.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

It was great when NT home games were at Texas Stadium in Irving. All the NT signs and the big Eagle on the field !!!

Oh wait a minute..those were blue and silver stars all over the place.

I hated it to be honest...Fouts/DATCU just seemed to be a better home IMO. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

Doesn't UNT provide transportation "pickup points" all over the campus for students to have the option to catch a free ride to a football game?  TAMU has been doing this for years.  I know, who cares about the Aggies.  But they have a rather large campus and catching a ride on a school transit bus is a pretty good option.

About 15years or so ago I went to Bloomington Indiana to watch the UNT/Indiana football game . Their stadium was off campus and the game was still well attended. I don't think if really matters much where you play if you had fan support.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

15 minutes ago, wardly said:

About 15years or so ago I went to Bloomington Indiana to watch the UNT/Indiana football game . Their stadium was off campus and the game was still well attended. I don't think if really matters much where you play if you had fan support.

Yeah It probably matters more to schools like us who are trying to boost attendance and build a following.

Also, whether or not you are a commuter school.

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Yeah It probably matters more to schools like us who are trying to boost attendance and build a following.

Also, whether or not you are a commuter school.

Back in the 60's you could commute to either UTA or UNT. Hwy35E was open so most Dallas commuters drove to Denton. The DFW Turnpike was also open so those from the Mid Cities and Ft. Worth commuted to Arlington. I don't think either university has shaken the "commuter school" tag if you base it upon lack of student support for athletics.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, wardly said:

Their stadium is on campus. 

Maybe you were in Bloomington, Illinois?  

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Indiana+University+Memorial+Stadium/@39.1759746,-86.5221637,1757m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x886c66cc1c54621f:0x9b14fde5e5641040!8m2!3d39.1808988!4d-86.5256316!16zL20vMDYydHQz?entry=ttu

Indiana is also in the Big10.  Not hard to draw fans to see those conference games. 

Edited by NT80
  • Oh Boy! 1

I stand corrected. I have been to a number of stadiums over my decades of following the Eagles and some of them tend to blend in. Just asking, but why do you think it is so important to have an on campus stadium?

Edited by wardly
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, wardly said:

I stand corrected. I have been to a number of stadiums over my decades of following the Eagles and some of them tend to blend in. Just asking, but why do you think it is so important to have an on campus stadium?

I am glad you have seen NT play in many away game stadiums.  It is fun to support the team on the road, in hostile territory.  So, of all the NT away games you saw, which opponent stadiums/atmosphere/location were best?  Which fans were most friendly vs unfriendly?

I love to visit other college towns and stadiums on vacation trips.   A couple years ago we saw Michigan, Notre Dame, Western Mich, and Michigan State stadiums. 

As far as a campus stadium, I just feel the atmosphere and connection between the campus, students, alums, and stadium are an important part of the whole game experience.  The game becomes a part of the school and the stadium is the school's stage and dressed in school colors.

The detached or non-school stadiums feel too sterile, like they are just leasing a generic building for the game....which they usually are.   Colorado State recently built an on-campus stadium and their fans talked how great it was to be attached to their campus environment. 

That CSU stadium is sweet and in the heart of the campus. Great for tailgating has a brewery in it. Fantastic. 

Craziest Fans - LSU

Unique Setting - Arizona State

Chilly Game - Air Force

Fun Win - West Point

Wild Win - NMSU Miracle in the Desert 

Rainiest Win - U La La

Nice Fans Win & Cool Setting - UTEP

Annoying Fans - UTSA 

No Fans - smu (calm down pony, hasn’t been that bad)

Unexpected Romp Nice Fans - WKU

Delicious Wins (plural) - Texas Tech

Stadium Setting with potential- FAU (awesome post game Irish pub)

More Nice Fans - Indiana 

Hoping to expand the experience list this fall. 

GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2024 at 12:50 AM, Hunter Green said:

I'd hate to lose Memphis and USF. Both are premiere institutions. 

For all of you disparaging my humble opinion, both Memphis and USF, apparently, are premier enough to likely move on and leave us in the dust. 

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, NM Green said:

That CSU stadium is sweet and in the heart of the campus. Great for tailgating has a brewery in it. Fantastic. 

Craziest Fans - LSU

Unique Setting - Arizona State

Chilly Game - Air Force

Fun Win - West Point

Wild Win - NMSU Miracle in the Desert 

Rainiest Win - U La La

Nice Fans Win & Cool Setting - UTEP

Annoying Fans - UTSA 

No Fans - smu (calm down pony, hasn’t been that bad)

Unexpected Romp Nice Fans - WKU

Delicious Wins (plural) - Texas Tech

Stadium Setting with potential- FAU (awesome post game Irish pub)

More Nice Fans - Indiana 

Hoping to expand the experience list this fall. 

GMG

Excellent list.  You have been places!

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, NT80 said:

I am glad you have seen NT play in many away game stadiums.  It is fun to support the team on the road, in hostile territory.  So, of all the NT away games you saw, which opponent stadiums/atmosphere/location were best?  Which fans were most friendly vs unfriendly?

I love to visit other college towns and stadiums on vacation trips.   A couple years ago we saw Michigan, Notre Dame, Western Mich, and Michigan State stadiums. 

As far as a campus stadium, I just feel the atmosphere and connection between the campus, students, alums, and stadium are an important part of the whole game experience.  The game becomes a part of the school and the stadium is the school's stage and dressed in school colors.

The detached or non-school stadiums feel too sterile, like they are just leasing a generic building for the game....which they usually are.   Colorado State recently built an on-campus stadium and their fans talked how great it was to be attached to their campus environment. 

We are in violent agreement. I googled " universities with off campus football stadiums " and Hero Sports listed 23. Some of the schools me really surprised me, such as Miami, UCLA, N.C.S.,Pitt,South Carolina ,Oregon, and Northwestern[. They did have Baylor listed but not Indiana.] One of the best trips I had was when I traveled with the team to Huntington ,W.V. North Texas was playing at Marshall  a 1AA playoff game. When we arrived at the stadium their fans were grilling and offered us free beer and food. It was a dirty,nasty game and a fight in the stands rolled on to the field and both teams fought it out. When we got on the bus the same Marshall fans peppered us with beer bottles, rocks and cans. Someone called the airport and told authorities that there was a bomb on board which delayed our departure. I sat next to Ron Shanklin on the flight home who said that he was glad just to get out alive. My best trip was to ULL traveling with the team which turned out to be a hoot.However the story requires a lengthy explanation and I am out of gas.

• Upvote 3

I know there are fans who have been to more college stadiums than me, but just for fun I will share mine. Army,South Carolina,FIU,FAU,Miami,Auburn, UAB,Missouri,Purdue, I.U.,Kansas State,Ark. St., Arkansas Little Rock. Arkansas Fayetteville, ULL,UL Monroe, LSU, Tulsa, Oklahoma ,Ok. St.,Texas,TCU,SMU,Baylor,SFA,UTEP,Augustana,New Mexico,Air Force,UCLA. UTEP's stadium, the Sun Bowl, is unique as it is carved into a mountain. UCLA's stadium felt like it was about to fall down. The Auburn fans were friendly, LSU fans the most drunk, Texas the most obnoxious. Going to see us play and beat Army with my 15 year grandson was a real treat. We froze our ass off, but watching the cadets preform at halftime was a thrill. However, Fouts Field was better than their stadium. While our new stadium is not as large as some  I have seen, I will put it up against just about anyone else's . We are fortunate to have such a great venue and should never take it for granite. Hopefully we will fill it before I bite the big one.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, wardly said:

I know there are fans who have been to more college stadiums than me, but just for fun I will share mine. Army,South Carolina,FIU,FAU,Miami,Auburn, UAB,Missouri,Purdue, I.U.,Kansas State,Ark. St., Arkansas Little Rock. Arkansas Fayetteville, ULL,UL Monroe, LSU, Tulsa, Oklahoma ,Ok. St.,Texas,TCU,SMU,Baylor,SFA,UTEP,Augustana,New Mexico,Air Force,UCLA. UTEP's stadium, the Sun Bowl, is unique as it is carved into a mountain. UCLA's stadium felt like it was about to fall down. The Auburn fans were friendly, LSU fans the most drunk, Texas the most obnoxious. Going to see us play and beat Army with my 15 year grandson was a real treat. We froze our ass off, but watching the cadets preform at halftime was a thrill. However, Fouts Field was better than their stadium. While our new stadium is not as large as some  I have seen, I will put it up against just about anyone else's . We are fortunate to have such a great venue and should never take it for granite. Hopefully we will fill it before I bite the big one.

Great report, thanks.

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

Great report, thanks.

I forgot about UTA. It only seat about 9,000 or so and shortly thereafter they dropped football. I appreciate your suggestion as it gave an old man a trip down memory lane. Also, while you and I probably won't go camping together, I do respect your opinion as well as all those who post .The three hardest words I had to learn in life were "maybe you're right". However sometimes I do forget. My bad.

• Upvote 1