Pernetti Interview

MCMLXXX

AAC commissioner Tim Pernetti on Memphis' goal of leaving conference (commercialappeal.com)

CA: The AAC recently added Army as a football-only member after SMU left for the ACC. Are there any discussions about adding another non-football member to replace SMU's other sports?

Pernetti: There are many active discussions going on right now about membership. And I think we will be proactive and aggressive related to what we think are good opportunities in the space for the conference. And I've been really encouraged by the inbound outreach that I've gotten from some institutions in the industry wanting to learn more about what we're doing, where we're headed and explaining to us why it's interesting.

• Upvote 3

At the end of the day, in my opinion, only 2 programs have a chance to move up, and probably only if the ACC implodes. Memphis and USF. Tulane is just a smaller  SMU without as much money and  New Orleans only newspaper doesn't even publish every day. Future conference additions must be able to increase media money to a existing conferences members annual payout at a minimum. OSU and WSU couldn't, and were left behind.

• Eye Roll 1

5 hours ago, wardly said:

At the end of the day, in my opinion, only 2 programs have a chance to move up, and probably only if the ACC implodes. Memphis and USF. Tulane is just a smaller  SMU without as much money and  New Orleans only newspaper doesn't even publish every day. Future conference additions must be able to increase media money to a existing conferences members annual payout at a minimum. OSU and WSU couldn't, and were left behind.

I'd hate to lose Memphis and USF. Both are premiere institutions. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

16 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

I'd hate to lose Memphis and USF. Both are premiere institutions. 

FX is becoming to Memphis what Nike is to Oregon. USF is spending a fortune on its new stadium complex . The Memphis market isn't that large but Tampa is.

1 hour ago, wardly said:

FX is becoming to Memphis what Nike is to Oregon. USF is spending a fortune on its new stadium complex . The Memphis market isn't that large but Tampa is.

Memphis' stadium is not on campus.   

USF's stadium has been pushed to 2027, if then.  It is similar looking to Apogee (DATCU), 35,000 seats, but will cost more that $340 Million, as of 2023 $. 

H7DIH5QGFBFQNLH24P7OFTN5MA.jpg

On 7/4/2024 at 11:16 AM, greenjoe said:

Doesn’t Wichita State fill that niche since they participate in all sports EXCEPT football ?

They cancelled out Navy. Now without SMU but with Army, we have 14 football schools and 13 basketball (and most other Olympic sport schools).

In my opinion, we should be selective with any new programs that bring football. We're already a conference with a random allotment of schools with few big rivalries. Market size should be lower on the priority list for future expansion, with more focus on competiveness of programs and potential to create more rivalries or reignite old ones.

If we focus on expanding the Olympic sport-only programs, I think we should go east and target some of the A-10 schools. If we are looking for schools that will bring all sports, look west, and try to grab up some quality MWC programs before they give any life to a rebirthed Pac-12 (if we aren't invited to it).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt from A700 said:

If we are looking for schools that will bring all sports, look west, and try to grab up some quality MWC programs before they give any life to a rebirthed Pac-12 (if we aren't invited to it).

We should try to be proactive and get invited to it...if it's a two division 14-team conference.  Eventually media will have a say in the PAC-rebirth, suggesting the best value combination of schools for greatest media revenue deal/potential.

To start however, the P2 could simply take the Top 6 MWC schools to meet the NCAA deadline to continue the PAC Conference by Summer 2026 for the 26-27 athletic season.  What happens to those other MWC schools?  Does the AAC have any interest?   

• Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, NT80 said:

We should try to be proactive and get invited to it...if it's a two division 14-team conference.  Eventually media will have a say in the PAC-rebirth, suggesting the best value combination of schools for greatest media revenue deal/potential.

To start however, the P2 could simply take the Top 6 MWC schools to meet the NCAA deadline to continue the PAC Conference by Summer 2026 for the 26-27 athletic season.  What happens to those other MWC schools?  Does the AAC have any interest?   

I've probably said it enough by this point but a revamped Pac-12 is my top choice as long as the media deal includes normal linear TV coverage and preferrably ESPN+ or Netflix for streaming as anything else would require me to invest in another service.

Your second paragraph creates an interesting situation I haven't thought of much yet. I would assume the first three that OSU/WSU would want would be Boise, San Diego State, and UNLV. Then maybe CSU, Fresno, and Nevada? If it's those 6, then I think that still gives the AAC a good mix of markets and quaity programs to go after: New Mexico, Air Force, Utah State, Wyoming, San Jose State and possibly UTEP as a connector to the more western schools. However, I don't think those teams will move the needle much for The American when it comes to national interest. And even if those schools were to accept invites to The American, I think it would be a temporary move while they position themselves to move up to the new Pac-12.

If the P2 take the best six MWC schools, the MWC could also backfill with the FCS powerhouses from the Dakotas, Idaho, and Montana which due to travel could convince the leftovers to stay.

Like we both said, I think a new Pac-12 is the best option for us. OSU, Wazzou, SDSU, Boise, UNLV, and Fresno in the West, UNT, UTSA, Colorado State, New Mexico, Rice, UTEP in the East. (Nevada and/or Utah State, Air Force and/or Wyoming if there was interest in a 14-16 team conference).

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

I've probably said it enough by this point but a revamped Pac-12 is my top choice as long as the media deal includes normal linear TV coverage and preferrably ESPN+ or Netflix for streaming as anything else would require me to invest in another service.

Your second paragraph creates an interesting situation I haven't thought of much yet. I would assume the first three that OSU/WSU would want would be Boise, San Diego State, and UNLV. Then maybe CSU, Fresno, and Nevada? If it's those 6, then I think that still gives the AAC a good mix of markets and quaity programs to go after: New Mexico, Air Force, Utah State, Wyoming, San Jose State and possibly UTEP as a connector to the more western schools. However, I don't think those teams will move the needle much for The American when it comes to national interest. And even if those schools were to accept invites to The American, I think it would be a temporary move while they position themselves to move up to the new Pac-12.

If the P2 take the best six MWC schools, the MWC could also backfill with the FCS powerhouses from the Dakotas, Idaho, and Montana which due to travel could convince the leftovers to stay.

Like we both said, I think a new Pac-12 is the best option for us. OSU, Wazzou, SDSU, Boise, UNLV, and Fresno in the West, UNT, UTSA, Colorado State, New Mexico, Rice, UTEP in the East. (Nevada and/or Utah State, Air Force and/or Wyoming if there was interest in a 14-16 team conference).

As I previously posted the financial penalties that OSU and WSU agreed to in order to get the MWC to schedule football games with them for the next two years would make it extremely punitive for them to cherry pick that conference for new members. Unless 9 of the existing MWC vote to dissolve the conference its all or nothing. I don't remember when the MWC media contract expires but that would allow its members to get a "get out of jail free " card. I think the PAC 2 has until the end of 2026 to add members according to the NCAA which is earlier than the MWC media contract expires but am not 100%  sure. Also other than Colorado State and the AFC not a single school listed as a possible PAC 12 WEST brings much if any value to a new media contract for the new PAC.

5 minutes ago, wardly said:

As I previously posted the financial penalties that OSU and WSU agreed to in order to get the MWC to schedule football games with them for the next two years would make it extremely punitive for them to cherry pick that conference for new members next year. Unless 9 of the existing MWC vote to dissolve the conference its all or nothing. However the MWC media contract expires at the end of the 2025/26 and  would allow its members to get a "get out of jail free " card. The PAC 2 has until the end of 2026 to add members according to the NCAA  so these dates if correct seem to dovetail. Other than Colorado State and the AFC not a single school listed as a possible PAC 12 WEST brings much if any value to a new media contract for the new PAC. This is the reason given for OSU and WSU being left behind.