Recent Mean Green Spotlight - DRC

TheColonyEagle

2 hours ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

“Alumni sit around, talk about making the program better, that North Texas has 270,000 alumni in the DFW area and how we should be at the highest levels of sports,” Herron said. “Then they turn around and don’t do what fans of other schools do, which is support financially. If you want to build it, you have to give.”

I agree with this guy and have been saying this for years. Our fans talk the talk but don’t walk the walk. 

HARD disagree.

No one anywhere (except maybe Aggies) supports their school if it’s not winning. A lot of schools don’t even do that. We actually do. I’m not talking about going 7-5. I’m talking about nationally noticed winning. Top 25 rankings. Plenty of teams with a lot less resources than we have, have won big. 

Mosley said it best above:

“Every time we’ve had a competitive team, attendance goes up”

We are actually way ahead of other schools we just CANNOT CONSISTENTLY WIN.  

that’s really all you have to do at UNT. We’ve sniffed it. But haven’t really done it. 

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

https://dentonrc.com/unt-ticketing-changes-in-athletics-a-mixed-bag-a-year-year-after-revamp/article_1c1ea886-38db-11ef-aadb-5b6548ffdd41.html

Interesting article, however, Ticket prices, structure, game day experience, concessions. While All important, nothing is as Important as W/L. 

Our #1 marketing leader is Eric Morris  before that it was Seth Littrell, etc  

Period

This is 100% correct from the AD:

“We have to put a competitive team on the field. Every time we’ve had a competitive team, attendance goes up.”

-Jared Mosley 

Thank you.

• Thanks 1
  • RV 1

6 hours ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

“Alumni sit around, talk about making the program better, that North Texas has 270,000 alumni in the DFW area and how we should be at the highest levels of sports,” Herron said. “Then they turn around and don’t do what fans of other schools do, which is support financially. If you want to build it, you have to give.”

I agree with this guy and have been saying this for years. Our fans talk the talk but don’t walk the walk. 

The Athletic Department has missed the mark when it comes to marketing and connecting with students, alumni and past fans.  Little advanced noticed of seat changes and ticket policy changes until time to re-up.  Like players leaving each season now, there is too much turnover internally also:

"Former UNT official Ryan Peck described the program's goal in a simple way."   

How many times in the last few years have we seen these internal jobs posted open for a new hire?  I get it...we are a stepping stone job, like the program has turned into for Athletes as well. 

The Athletic Department just waits for us to show up at a stadium or arena...or not, if we're not in the mood.   Where's the marketing, the sense of urgency and push to commit??  There is no pressure to buy seats in advance because they are too available.  You will also find opponent fans next to you in your premium seats.  That should not happen!!  

We have become a majority walk-up fan base instead of a contacted, ticketed, connected and informed fan base.   The Caravans are nice...if you got an insider to give you the details.  Common public or non-connected semi-fans never hear the news.  NIL and Portal only widens the disconnect between fans and players.  You can't get attached to a player when they are gone after one season.  If you're not attached to the players then it's only the program that keeps you coming to games.   Maybe that's how the AD should market it?!  Support YOUR Mean Green!

• Upvote 3

Age old marketing pursuit: how do you build ownership into the product? Ownership that you want to continue to own, love, take care of, use regularly.

Not easy.

It became mine on January 19, 1980. Owned it, loved it, and kicked and cussed it a few times, but also invested in it, and used regularly ever since. Simply no other program I care about like this. 

GMG

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

The last several years, take any G5 with big time success. 11, 12 wins.

Off the top of my head…..Troy, App St, Coastal Carolina, Ark St, UTSA, Utah St. to name a few (may be off)

If we had seasons like they had, the support, Attendance and donations would be off the charts. All those teams did something we have never done.  Actually won 11 games in one season.
WE’VE NEVER HAD AN 11 WIN SEASON. 

So I don’t want to hear about “doing what other alumni at other schools do”

How about do something that other schools do on the field. Schools that have less than we do. 

11 wins. That’s the bar.  See what happens if we hit that. 

• Upvote 6

11 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Playing devil's advocate. 

Why commit money to an unstable program? No guarantees the added money will improve the situation.

Death and taxes are the only guarantees 

Success in athletes is directly tied to the money invested

The more spend, the more likely of a winning program

Sure money will be wasted at any athletic program, but the cure for that is the hiring of competent people to manage the funds not just decide to not compete.

The major programs have to search for ways to wisely spend money, that is not true for the rest of the unfortunate including all the designated G league teams

I am mystified as to why NT doesn't concentrate on Denton County....good population base, good salaries and many great athletes. It would require all members of the athletic staff to fan out and make many many contacts in the Denton area.  Why go to Houston, San Antonio and Fort Worth when we have a large enough population base in Denton county to support the Mean Green?  Working the DISD, LISD and outlying schools could give us the bump we need.

• Upvote 5

16 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

The last several years, take any G5 with big time success. 11, 12 wins.

Off the top of my head…..Troy, App St, Coastal Carolina, Ark St, UTSA, Utah St. to name a few (may be off)

If we had seasons like they had, the support, Attendance and donations would be off the charts. All those teams did something we have never done.  Actually won 11 games in one season.
WE’VE NEVER HAD AN 11 WIN SEASON. 

So I don’t want to hear about “doing what other alumni at other schools do”

How about do something that other schools do on the field. Schools that have less than we do. 

11 wins. That’s the bar.  See what happens if we hit that. 

Both of your posts in this thread are right on. Only time in the modern era we were on track for a “special” season like you described our peers having that would have catapulted our support and perception and we spit the bit against La Tech. 

Even if you want to be generous and count our two Conference USA Title Game appearances - we got smoked in both deflating the fan goodwill that was building. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2024 at 4:50 PM, TheColonyEagle said:

HARD disagree.

No one anywhere (except maybe Aggies) supports their school if it’s not winning. A lot of schools don’t even do that. We actually do. I’m not talking about going 7-5. I’m talking about nationally noticed winning. Top 25 rankings. Plenty of teams with a lot less resources than we have, have won big. 

Mosley said it best above:

“Every time we’ve had a competitive team, attendance goes up”

We are actually way ahead of other schools we just CANNOT CONSISTENTLY WIN.  

that’s really all you have to do at UNT. We’ve sniffed it. But haven’t really done it. 

Agree completely, as soon as you can tell me where the “consistent winning” comes from within season ticket sales, attendance, and giving.  

Show me the magical school that won consistently BEFORE they had attendance/financial support. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/3/2024 at 3:03 PM, bstnsportsfan3 said:

The few alumni that actually like football have supported the program at one time or another. No need to keep beating them up. 

Problem is that roughly 250,000 of those alumni hate sports. 

• Downvote 3

10 hours ago, GRN-WHT said:

The few alumni that actually like football have supported the program at one time or another. No need to keep beating them up. 

Problem is that roughly 250,000 of those alumni hate sports. 

You and everyone else on this board know that that is a statistical impossibility......especially in Texas.   "Indifferent" would be a better term for many of them, as well as "ambivalent" and/or "disappointed/disillusioned" .

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, drex said:

I am mystified as to why NT doesn't concentrate on Denton County....good population base, good salaries and many great athletes. It would require all members of the athletic staff to fan out and make many many contacts in the Denton area.  Why go to Houston, San Antonio and Fort Worth when we have a large enough population base in Denton county to support the Mean Green?  Working the DISD, LISD and outlying schools could give us the bump we need.

Hayden Fry had a go at that, but I couldn't tell you how consistently he went after them. When I worked for the University on a moving crew, we set up an "impromptu" little pep rally on the Sanger town square complete with a pep band and cheerleaders. The message was that NTSU wanted to be "Sangers University". The cheerleaders went around to all the businesses on the "square" and asked them to help by letting them put schedule posters in their windows and season ticket applications by their check-out registers. I don't know how many other small communities he did this in, or how consistently he did it.

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Show me the magical school that won consistently BEFORE they had attendance/financial support. 

Show me the school that has attendance/financial support before winning. I don't think Baylor basketball was a tough ticket before Scott Drew got there. TCU before Gary Patterson. I went to a UT football game when I was in high school BEFORE Mack Brown got there. Plenty of room to stretch out.

And as we know first hand.....building attendance and support "because we graduated from there and we should do our part" isn't sustainable....if the ath. dept. wants that...they're not doing their job.

Job 1 is hire the coach that will get us winning to the point that coming to games is a must see. We've shown flashes of how desperate the fan base is to jump on board....we just haven't taken that next step. Don't depend on our loyalty and duty to the school to get support and attendance up...that's not a recipe for growth. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Thanks 1