Kinky Friedman RIP

None of the obituaries really stand out to me (do a search and take your pick), so I'll just link his wikipedia page.

I had the privilege of seeing him perform at least twice; the two times I remember were first at an outdoor venue in downtown Austin in the late 90s, and the second time at "The Mucky Duck" club in Houston, which also was a book signing event.

Kinky was a satirist, and definitely an independent.  The lyrics of most of his songs can't be taken at face value; and are frequently shocking - on purpose.  Listen to his music, read his books and Texas Monthly columns, and you might begin to understand him. 

He had some unforgettable one liners:
"Vote for me, and I'll lower the speed limit from 55 to 54.99" (when the speed limit was 55, and he was running for JP in Kerrville; a "Jewish Joke")
"If you're going to drink and drive, don't forget your car"
"Are there any children in the audience? No? Good - because I wouldn't want to say 'duck' in front of a C-H-I-L-D"

Sometime in the 90's, Kinky did a comedic music video of "Get Your Biscuits In The Oven" with good friend Ruth Buzzi (Laugh-In) and Richard Moll (Night Court).  FWIW, Ruth Buzzi has lived north of Fort Worth for many years.  The video has some scenes which might have been filmed in Fort Worth.

Edited by Stix
Kinky probably would have had a good laugh that his C-H-I-L-D quote was edited. I don't mind, but... "douchebag"? I think I like "duck" better.
  • Upvote 2

I saw Kinky Friedman in 2011 in Salado at a benefit concert with BJ Thomas for the Utopia Animal Rescue Ranch.  He was well know but the draw for me that night was BJ Thomas who played in small dance halls around Houston with a local band called the Triumphs.  Battle dances with Roy Head and the Traits were always special when I was growing up.  And the old timers probably remember his song "Raindrops Keep Failing on My Head" from the movie "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid."

However I must say than Kinky held his own that evening and was very entertaining.  It was a hoot to listen to his satirical style.  I knew of him from his run for governor of Texas in 2006 and his articles in Texas Monthly.  I did not know he had passed away. May he rest in peace.  I wish we had more people these days who did not take themselves so seriously and enjoyed life like Kinky did.

• Upvote 3

I had the pleasure of being his campaign manager in my East Texas county....when he ran for Governor. He came to Texarkana....for a campaign event. I got to introduce him...and spend a few minutes alone with him. Just a great guy.

Anyway probably 5-6 years later....he was at Dan's Silverleaf in Denton. I went to watch him perform. I went up to him beforehand....re-introduced myself. And I asked him...if he'd sing "Sold American" (my favorite song of his). Not only did he do it....he dedicated it to me....for helping him in his campaign.

Truly....a one of a kind. 

Edited by SUMG
  • Upvote 3

Kinky was a beloved Texas treasure as an entertainer, singer/songwriter, comedian, and politician. 

A number of political people have inspired me in my lifetime. Ronnie Reagan, JFK, Bobbie Kennedy. Then before that, of course, when you get to the great American leaders, many of them were inspiring people. And none of them really put the party first. None of the ones like your Davey Crocketts, Teddy Roosevelts, Sam Houstons, George Washingtons, and Abe Lincolns. Those kind of people that achieved before office. A different kind of person is being drawn to politics now — a worse kind of person. Many are putting their party first, over their conscience and their constituents. Yeah. Plus they’re in so damn long. You know what I mean? I believe: Never reelect anybody too long. These politicians are in so long that politics is the only field in which the more experience you have the worse you get.

So true. Thank you Kinky.

• Upvote 1