I felt a twinge of optimism yesterday

21 hours ago, keith said:

It happens every year around this time.  Mean Green fans, now several months removed from the previous season, go through a sort of collective amnesia.  This feeling of optimism will increase with each passing week.  Maybe a bit of backsliding during 2-a-days or during any bit of bad news, but will hit its zenith just before the start of the season.  It's part of our coping mechanism.  

Spot on. Maybe I need to remind everyone about losing to FIU, or starting Earle for 2 games, or unable to move it ball for 4 downs vs Navy to try and get a tying FG, or letting Memphis go 75 yards with only 47 seconds left.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

45 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Spot on. Maybe I need to remind everyone about losing to FIU, or starting Earle for 2 games, or unable to move it ball for 4 downs vs Navy to try and get a tying FG, or letting Memphis go 75 yards with only 47 seconds left.

Well, Memphis is going to be tough this year as we play them on the road, but no FIU or Navy on the schedule and no Earle on the roster, so 12 - 0!!

Oh, and sadly Lennay Kekua passed away on September 11, 2012, so I hope you are happy with yourself for intimating that she was Cousin Ollie's gal.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1474459-remembering-lennay-kekua-before-the-biggest-game-of-manti-teos-life

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

On 7/1/2024 at 10:49 AM, SMU2006 said:

The ACC has a GoR through 2036 and enough members that want the league to survive that its not going to collapse in 12 years let alone 2.

Did the PAC-12 becoming the PAC-2 teach you nothing? After the big dogs leave a Power 5 conference can implode faster than the sub that visited the Titanic.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/2/2024 at 10:42 AM, SMU2006 said:

SMU has been ranked in football four of the last five years and currently has a borderline Top 30 recruiting class without playing a down of P4 football.

SMU teams are always better before they play a down of football. Then the games begin and the popped collar crowd gets bored and gives up on going, which is why your attendance has been in the bottom half of the FBS for so many years.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Well, Memphis is going to be tough this year as we play them on the road, but no FIU or Navy on the schedule and no Earle on the roster, so 12 - 0!!

Oh, and sadly Lennay Kekua passed away on September 11, 2012, so I hope you are happy with yourself for intimating that she was Cousin Ollie's gal.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1474459-remembering-lennay-kekua-before-the-biggest-game-of-manti-teos-life

Oh no, she will be missed.

• Sad 1

On 7/2/2024 at 10:02 AM, untjim1995 said:

Then why are you hanging around here. You and Cougar King just troll this place to brag about being higher up the food chain. Neat. Do you go by the food shelter and brag about shopping at Whole Foods and having a full pantry? 

Because that’s what you’re basically doing here. We get it. You have money, local media, and a ton of history that gets mentioned and even celebrated. We have none of that.Hell, our own alumni dominate the local sports media and they just don’t care about us to do anything but make fun of us. We don’t need smu posters to remind us of how much you loathe ever being associated with us and have more goals by for you. We all know it.

They hang around here because it makes them feel better about themselves. Smut knows down deep that nobody wanted them until they prostituted  themselves and begged to get in bed with the ACC. Hell, at least Houston earned their way into the Big 12 without having to oral copulate to get in.

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hunter Green said:

They hang around here because it makes them feel better about themselves. Smut knows down deep that nobody wanted them until they prostituted  themselves and begged to get in bed with the ACC. Hell, at least Houston earned their way into the Big 12 without having to oral copulate to get in.

Apparently you did not study the lesson of the great musical psalm by Reba: "Fancy".

She could have accepted her fate and wallowed in poverty (G5) like the rest of her family, but she treated the men "real nice", whoring herself out and escaped crushing generational poverty to live a good and affluent (P4) life.

As Bud Fox said, "There's no nobility in poverty"

• Haha 1

There's a great book on this topic worth reading if you're interested. Whitford's book focuses on what SMU did in a vacuum, but Blewett's book looks at what is happening around SMU, compares penalties for similar infections between UT/A&M and everyone else in the conference, connections between UT and the NCAA, etc. 

71DVPX6o7UL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 3

On 7/4/2024 at 9:21 AM, DentonStang said:

There's a great book on this topic worth reading if you're interested. Whitford's book focuses on what SMU did in a vacuum, but Blewett's book looks at what is happening around SMU, compares penalties for similar infections between UT/A&M and everyone else in the conference, connections between UT and the NCAA, etc. 

I agree the big programs were doing similar, and probably worse things today.  But the NCAA decided it needed to "make an example of someone" before it got out of control, to show they were still in control.   

So SMU was the designated example.  Probably based on small size, elite culture, not a public school, and wealth to endure the penalties eventually. 

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Oh, I totally agree the big programs were doing similar, and probably worse, and more so today.  But the NCAA decided it needed to "make an example of someone" before it got out of control, to show they were still in control.   

So SMU was the designated example.  Probably based on small size, elite culture, not a public school, and wealth to endure the penalties eventually. 

They should have done the same thing to Baylor. But the SMU example was so painful, the ncaa would never do it again. The sports media felt so sorry for SMU, even though they cheated better than anyone ever had, over and over.

I still say that SMU should sue the NCAA out of existence for what they did. It cost them billions. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 6/27/2024 at 10:35 AM, cousin oliver said:

I was sharing this thought with my girlfriend, but I just get a feeling that Eric has started to figure UNT out and is putting the pieces in place to place us in the hunt for the AAC crown.  Remembering that we no longer must face SMU gives me hope that we could very well be in the top quarter to top half of the league before all is said and done.

I don't expect national championships, but I do think we should routinely expect to be in the top half of the league standings year in year out and usually get to a bowl game and sometimes win a bowl game.

Doesn't the Mean Green face two G5 expected champs this season? Can the American conference produce the best G5 team? Win and we’re in? 

15 hours ago, DentonStang said:

71DVPX6o7UL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Trust me. No one is interested except you.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2024 at 10:13 PM, DentonStang said:

Apparently you did not study the lesson of the great musical psalm by Reba: "Fancy".

She could have accepted her fate and wallowed in poverty (G5) like the rest of her family, but she treated the men "real nice", whoring herself out and escaped crushing generational poverty to live a good and affluent (P4) life.

Well, I'm sure you're happy being a whore. Enjoy and go away.

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2024 at 9:49 AM, SMU2006 said:

The ACC has a GoR through 2036 and enough members that want the league to survive that its not going to collapse in 12 years let alone 2.  One of the main reasons the ACC expanded with three schools is to keep the league above the 15 minimum in order to maintain the existing deal with Disney/ESPN.  You've also added three ironclad votes in favor of keeping the league together.  

The ACCN is a boon for ESPN with nearly 50m subs.  They are heavily incentivized to see the ACC survive.  Further, Notre Dame's independent status in football and ACC membership for all other sports is vital for them.  ND was one of the biggest proponents of adding SMU/Stanford/CAL.  

In your doomsday scenario there are still going to be a handful of ACC schools with nowhere to go.  SMU would likely band together with them and raid Oregon State, Washington State, Memphis, San Diego State, Tulane, and South Florida to make something out of the rubble.

Notre Dame may be an independent in football, but they still play 5 ACC teams per year and are a full participant in all other sports. I glad SMU is gone, they are killing it in recruiting, four 4 Stars commits in the last few days. They lost their star QB commit to Bama and promptly took TCU's 4 star QB, that's been committed to the Frogs for over a year. SMU also got a National Top Ten lineman yesterday, that held offers from everyone in America. I would rather deal with Memphis, UTSA and Tulane.

• Downvote 1

On 7/3/2024 at 10:13 PM, DentonStang said:

Should change your name to “WhoreStang”. I can’t believe you feel proud of the above analogy. Wait, yes I can. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1