I felt a twinge of optimism yesterday

cousin oliver

I was sharing this thought with my girlfriend, but I just get a feeling that Eric has started to figure UNT out and is putting the pieces in place to place us in the hunt for the AAC crown.  Remembering that we no longer must face SMU gives me hope that we could very well be in the top quarter to top half of the league before all is said and done.

I don't expect national championships, but I do think we should routinely expect to be in the top half of the league standings year in year out and usually get to a bowl game and sometimes win a bowl game.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • RV 2
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

I was sharing this thought with my girlfriend, but I just get a feeling that Eric has started to figure UNT out and is putting the pieces in place to place us in the hunt for the AAC crown.  Remembering that we no longer must face SMU gives me hope that we could very well be in the top quarter to top half of the league before all is said and done.

I don't expect national championships, but I do think we should routinely expect to be in the top half of the league standings year in year out and usually get to a bowl game and sometimes win a bowl game.

Outside of a bowl win, it seems our prior coach met your expectations and then some.

• Upvote 5
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

I agree with you. I don’t know exactly why, but I have to admit: I think our defense is going to be very much improved, maybe even good this year. There were a lot of young players who got significant reps as freshmen and showed real flashes last year. I think that those players mixed with some very promising transfers that have a good handle on this defense will surprise a lot of people. If the defense can even be in the top 100 this year, and the offense can put the pieces together anywhere close to how we did last year (I trust that this is just going to happen under Morris and Cobbs), I think we will be ahead of where Seth had us, even before this whole NIL/transfer combo really redefined the landscape. That said, I think the defense has potential to be much better than top 100. I get it- the evidence might all point to the contrary, but I just have a feeling I can’t shake. 

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, Ian Campbell said:

I agree with you. I don’t know exactly why, but I have to admit: I think our defense is going to be very much improved, maybe even good this year. There were a lot of young players who got significant reps as freshmen and showed real flashes last year. I think that those players mixed with some very promising transfers that have a good handle on this defense will surprise a lot of people. If the defense can even be in the top 100 this year, and the offense can put the pieces together anywhere close to how we did last year (I trust that this is just going to happen under Morris and Cobbs), I think we will be ahead of where Seth had us, even before this whole NIL/transfer combo really redefined the landscape. That said, I think the defense has potential to be much better than top 100. I get it- the evidence might all point to the contrary, but I just have a feeling I can’t shake. 

The sign of a good coach is can that coach evaluate his team from one season to the next and make correct adjustments in personnel and/or schemes and show improvement in lacking areas.  Morris mentioned that after player turnover from last year that majority of players now are his recruits and the buy-in is better.  It will be interesting to compare last years team to this years and find out.  

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, NM Green said:

Well the time to breakthrough is now with the PAC 2 moving into conference configuration mode.

GMG

I actually agree with you here.  PAC needs to expand with a combination of MWC/AAC teams.  North Texas needs to make sure its as attractive as possible b/c its probably happening in the next 2-3 years.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

On 6/28/2024 at 8:52 AM, SMU2006 said:

I actually agree with you here.  PAC needs to expand with a combination of MWC/AAC teams.  North Texas needs to make sure its as attractive as possible b/c its probably happening in the next 2-3 years.

The PAC 2 has a signed agreement with the MWC that if they cherry pick it will cost them $10 million for the first school, increasing another $2.5 million  per school afterwards ramping upwards. For example they take 6 schools the 6th  will cost them $22.5 million. This was reported by Trey Smith on his "College Underdogs " podcast . Smith follows the AAC exclusively. In addition any school leaving the MWC to the PA 2 must pay a $5 million exit fee. It is set up so that the PAC 2 must take the entire existing MWC in any merger.

• Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

43 minutes ago, wardly said:

The PAC 2 has a signed agreement with the MWC that if they cherry pick it will cost them $10 million for the first school, increasing another $2.5 million  per school afterwards ramping upwards. For example they take 6 schools the 6th  will cost them $22.5 million. This was reported by Trey Smith on his "College Underdogs " podcast . Smith follows the AAC exclusively. In addition any school leaving the MWC to the PA 2 must pay a $5 million exit fee. It is set up so that the PAC 2 must take the entire existing MWC in any merger.

Of course the PAC 2 wants to cherry pick, they don't want Utah St and San Jose, etc.  

The whole PAC 2 "re-invented vs merger into the MWC" will come down to simply a viable media deal being found or not.  They couldn't get one with UCLA, USC, Oregon, Washington, etc, but now expect to find one with MWC pieces?  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

Of course the PAC 2 wants to cherry pick, they don't want Utah St and San Jose, etc.  

The whole PAC 2 "re-invented vs merger into the MWC" will come down to simply a viable media deal being found or not.  They couldn't get one with UCLA, USC, Oregon, Washington, etc, but now expect to find one with MWC pieces?  

The PAC 12 wanted $20 million per team more than what was offered. I assume OSU and WSU media expectations are more realistic. While football driven the MWC had a strong men's basketball season last year and with the addition of the PAC 2 expect to be the best of G6 conferences and paid accordingly.

• Skeptical Eagle 1

30 minutes ago, wardly said:

The PAC 12 wanted $20 million per team more than what was offered. I assume OSU and WSU media expectations are more realistic. While football driven the MWC had a strong men's basketball season last year and with the addition of the PAC 2 expect to be the best of G6 conferences and paid accordingly.

The PAC 2 has scheduled 7 games with MWC opponents, but are not eligible for the MWC football championship.   They are not part of the MWC in any sports.  They don’t want to be, as it would end their P5 hopes. 

3 hours ago, NT80 said:

The PAC 2 has scheduled 7 games with MWC opponents, but are not eligible for the MWC football championship.   They are not part of the MWC in any sports.  They don’t want to be, as it would end their P5 hopes. 

From what I have read they are trying to get thru this season and have scheduled a number of games with MWC football as you have pointed out. It was easier to park their other sports in the Big West until the financial settlement with former PAC 12 members is settled and they determined whether or not to play as an independent in football.  However no conference other than the MWC wants them , not even the AAC. If memory serves our previous commissioner told them that we had no interest in just 2 west coast teams. The BIG 12 , Big 10, and ACC also had no interest when they expanded but all bets are off if the ACC implodes. Otherwise it appears the only question is can they wiggle out of their "all or non " agreement with the MWC and negotiate an acceptable media contract.The OSU athletic director recently stated that he though 8 schools is the perfect number for a new PAC. Speculation by the U TUBE sports pundits is that in a perfect world OSU and WSU choices would be Fresno ST., SDSU,UNLV,Colorado St. , Boise st., and AFA. However one podcast team speculated that the Air Force Academy might want to spread their wings [pun intended] and consider the AAC since it now includes both Army and Navy in football. The PAC 2 certainly doesn't want Hawaii, SJSU, Nevada, Wyoming,or New Mexico but may be stuck with them in a reverse merger. In summary the PAC 2 have until 2025/2026 to put together a conference with at least 8 members but nothing is going to happen  until the ACC situation is resolved.

1 hour ago, wardly said:

From what I have read they are trying to get thru this season and have scheduled a number of games with MWC football as you have pointed out. It was easier to park their other sports in the Big West until the financial settlement with former PAC 12 members is settled and they determined whether or not to play as an independent in football.  However no conference other than the MWC wants them , not even the AAC. If memory serves our previous commissioner told them that we had no interest in just 2 west coast teams. The BIG 12 , Big 10, and ACC also had no interest when they expanded but all bets are off if the ACC implodes. Otherwise it appears the only question is can they wiggle out of their "all or non " agreement with the MWC and negotiate an acceptable media contract.The OSU athletic director recently stated that he though 8 schools is the perfect number for a new PAC. Speculation by the U TUBE sports pundits is that in a perfect world OSU and WSU choices would be Fresno ST., SDSU,UNLV,Colorado St. , Boise st., and AFA. However one podcast team speculated that the Air Force Academy might want to spread their wings [pun intended] and consider the AAC since it now includes both Army and Navy in football. The PAC 2 certainly doesn't want Hawaii, SJSU, Nevada, Wyoming,or New Mexico but may be stuck with them in a reverse merger. In summary the PAC 2 have until 2025/2026 to put together a conference with at least 8 members but nothing is going to happen  until the ACC situation is resolved.

For the PAC 2 to continue as a conference, by NCAA rule, they must have 8 members by Summer 2026 for the 26-27 athletic season.

Here is a really good read on several of these PAC 2 issues from Jon Wilner of The Seattle Times...

https://www.yakimaherald.com/sports/college_sports/wsu_sports/options-for-wsu-and-osu-mountain-west-merger-finances-and-more-mailbag/article_6aea2786-af92-5c31-bf55-f3fbfe4b96bf.html

If I were the PAC 2 I would go after these teams to make the 8.

SDSU

Boise St

Memphis

USF

Fresno State

UNLV

Oregon State

Washington State

next level expansion targets:

Colorado State

UTSA

Hawaii

FAU

North Texas

Tulane

4 of these 6 them takes them to 12. Then they bolt to the Big 12. But we’d be in good company. Need a great football year. 

GMG

2 hours ago, NM Green said:

SDSU

Boise St

Memphis

USF

Fresno State

UNLV

Oregon State

Washington State

Colorado State

UTSA

Hawaii

FAU

North Texas

Tulane

4 of these 6 them takes them to 12. Then they bolt to the Big 12. But we’d be in good company..

GMG

If the ACC projected implosion leaves enough schools to keep it alive and Cal and Stanford push for OSU and WSU to be included then they may have a chance to join. Otherwise, with the OSU athletic director stating 8 schools would be the optimal  number it appears the objective of the PAC 2 is to be the best west coast conference they can be.I don't see where UNT moving west into a different time zone is preferred over the AAC. ( PS: Somehow my reply went directly into the middle of your post and when I deleted it I accidentally took some of your original post with it. My apologies.)

3 hours ago, NT80 said:

For the PAC 2 to continue as a conference, by NCAA rule, they must have 8 members by Summer 2026 for the 26-27 athletic season.

Here is a really good read on several of these PAC 2 issues from Jon Wilner of The Seattle Times...

https://www.yakimaherald.com/sports/college_sports/wsu_sports/options-for-wsu-and-osu-mountain-west-merger-finances-and-more-mailbag/article_6aea2786-af92-5c31-bf55-f3fbfe4b96bf.html

Thanks for the link! Great information!

2 hours ago, NM Green said:

SDSU

Boise St

Memphis

USF

Fresno State

UNLV

Oregon State

Washington State

Colorado State

UTSA

Hawaii

FAU

North Texas

Tulane

4 of these 6 them takes them to 12. Then they bolt to the Big 12. But we’d be in good company. Need a great football year. 

GMG

I can't see the PAC 2 volunteering to send all their sports team on 6-hour flights to Tampa on the initial new PAC invites.  Likewise USF would be foolish to get involved in that.

I think the PAC 2 will stay totally West initially, while waiting for other P4 spots to open.  Then, if they need to expand their footprint further east (AAC) maybe some central time additions. 

I agree their top MWC targets would be SDSU, Boise, Fresno, UNLV, plus Colo St and AFA.

McFeely: NDSU, SDSU 'obvious expansion targets' in wild FBS realignment  scenario - InForum | Fargo, Moorhead and West Fargo news, weather and sports

• Upvote 1