Is D1 Split Coming Soon?

On 7/1/2024 at 11:08 AM, rojomojo said:

Honestly, I wouldn't mind having the G5 merge with FCS... I am sure FCS folks would differ though

Sadly, I think the lower G5s will have to do that, the ones in CUSA and some in the MAC and the SBC.

But the Higher G5s in those leagues and the MWC and AAC will stay above that, joining the former power schools that could left behind.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

But the Higher G5s in those leagues and the MWC and AAC will stay above that, joining the former power schools that could left behind.

I agree with this.  Similar to funding and strength disparity within FBS as a whole, the same within G5.   

There will be a purging of the power schools at some point.  Just as Oregon State and Washington State got discarded, so will a Northwestern, Vanderbilt, etc in the future.   

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NT80 said:

I agree with this.  Similar to funding and strength disparity within FBS as a whole, the same within G5.   

It would make the most sense. We don’t need to be playing UT, OU, A&M, LSU, etc…all of whom have hundreds of millions in revenues, humongous stadiums that are sold out, and rosters that are full of NFL caliber players. Let us play teams that play in stadiums that are between 25k and 50k. Play teams with similar attendance issues and funding that is not completely out of whack with the lower programs in this level. And if SMU, TCU, Baylor, UH, and others want to play in a conference without us, go ahead. But we can play on their level. We can’t play on the levels of these NFL-lite programs. And as I’ve said many times, it’s blatantly unfair to everyone associated with a G5 program and never being able to play for a national title, like every other level Of football allows.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Again, why?

The so called P5 level gets most of the attention and money.  Do they really want to endure all the legal problems with creating even more of a monopoly?  

Most are perfectly able to see the logical extension of an exclusive league of the top forty to fifty top schools.  They would have to play a lot more equal schedule and as now the same SEC schools would dominate.  Seven or eight wins would be a great season for most members of this division.  

Add the problems of funding and scheduling for all sports not football or men's basketball, and lack of geographical rivals.  Plus at some point, a disillusioned fan base is going to see the folly of NIL and stop funding another pro league. 

The NFL at least sees the wisdom of some parity to competition.   They have drafts, salary caps, comparable schedules, and player and staff limits that foster competition.   While the NCAA has some of these controls, they seem more than willing to weaken or eliminate them. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1