2024-25 MBB/WBB schedule news

I dont get why UNT has such a hard time scheduling the OOC portion of the schedule.  The last few seasons UNT has been a solid Q2 team and at times even a Q1, playing a good game at UNT would benefit just about any D1 team in the NET rankings.  So I dont buy the theory that schools are scared to play in Denton. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, MrAlien said:

I dont get why UNT has such a hard time scheduling the OOC portion of the schedule.  The last few seasons UNT has been a solid Q2 team and at times even a Q1, playing a good game at UNT would benefit just about any D1 team in the NET rankings.  So I dont buy the theory that schools are scared to play in Denton. 

It is very difficult to get any home OC games against any other conference D1 foes for any team.  Games against  very underfunded teams can be purchased.

Most historically black colleges fall into this category.  They generally provide easy wins as well as low cost opponents.  Programs really can't be blamed for scheduling these games because there are just not many alternatives. 

The few oc games that are scheduled between peer programs are usually a result of a big payday like a national televised games    Early tournaments do provide some excellent competition as they usually are financed by sponsors who want to encourage the tourist trade as well as garner the media coverage.  

• Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 6/23/2024 at 11:21 AM, UNTLifer said:

Well, I think we are plenty shiny. 

I do too, unfortunately, the rest of the nation doesn’t feel the same way. 

Hardcore college basketball analysts give us respect, but we still aren’t on the level of a creighton, butler, or even Vcu.  We are on our way. Just haven’t done it long enough or made any real deep runs in the big tourney.  

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, southsideguy said:

did he give a reason the bigger teams would not come to denton?  should try to work with some MWC schools in BB.   we cant be the only team having this problem.

At this point I'm not even asking for power conference teams. I'd settle for solid, well known opponents. App State, NMSU, or WKU.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Who's job is it to schedule these games, obviously these games are worth a good chunk of change, I would think that the university would have someone who's dedicated job is set these games up.  I know the coach has the final say in scheduling, but I wouldn't expect him to be handling the details of scheduling. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

It is very difficult to get any home OC games against any other conference D1 foes for any team.  Games against  very underfunded teams can be purchased.

Most historically black colleges fall into this category.  They generally provide easy wins as well as low cost opponents.  Programs really can't be blamed for scheduling these games because there are just not many alternatives. 

The few oc games that are scheduled between peer programs are usually a result of a big payday like a national televised games    Early tournaments do provide some excellent competition as they usually are financed by sponsors who want to encourage the tourist trade as well as garner the media coverage.  

I don't buy it. Let's look at our conference and see what notable opponents our conference mates can get at home.

USF: Central Michigan, Loyola Chicago

FAU: Loyola Chicago, Liberty, Charleston, FIU

Charlotte: Georgia St., Davidson

UAB: Southern Miss, McNeese, Drake

Memphis: Clemson, Virginia, Vanderbilt

SMU: Texas A&M, Dayton

Tulsa: Loyola Chicago, New Mexico St.

ECU: Georgia Southern, South Carolina

Tulane: George Mason

Temple: Ole Miss

WSU: WKU, Richmond

UTSA: Army

Rice: Harvard, Louisiana

That's a myriad of teams with different reputations and rankings, yet they were all still able to get solid opponents at home. What was our best home opponent? UT Arlington? Is that on the level of any of these teams? Not to me. Every other team in our conference can schedule solid teams at home, so why can't we? We need to be objective and call out when things aren't done well.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

I don't buy it. Let's look at our conference and see what notable opponents our conference mates can get at home.

USF: Central Michigan, Loyola Chicago

FAU: Loyola Chicago, Liberty, Charleston, FIU

Charlotte: Georgia St., Davidson

UAB: Southern Miss, McNeese, Drake

Memphis: Clemson, Virginia, Vanderbilt

SMU: Texas A&M, Dayton

Tulsa: Loyola Chicago, New Mexico St.

ECU: Georgia Southern, South Carolina

Tulane: George Mason

Temple: Ole Miss

WSU: WKU, Richmond

UTSA: Army

Rice: Harvard, Louisiana

That's a myriad of teams with different reputations and rankings, yet they were all still able to get solid opponents at home. What was our best home opponent? UT Arlington? Is that on the level of any of these teams? Not to me. Every other team in our conference can schedule solid teams at home, so why can't we? We need to be objective and call out when things aren't done well.

This I think proves my point, not the opposite.

I also don't know what you have listed, as most to my knowledge, 2024-25 schedules have not been released

Other than SMU, who apparently has most of the money in the world, and Memphis which has a great MBB reputation.  I don't see any school you listed having a particular good oc schedule.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

12 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

maybe we should team up with SMUT land and a team can play two games on the road without taking flights for one of the games?

Rather team up with TCU or UTA

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

29 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

This I think proves my point, not the opposite.

I also don't know what you have listed, as most to my knowledge, 2024-25 schedules have not been released

Other than SMU, who apparently has most of the money in the world, and Memphis which has a great MBB reputation.  I don't see any school you listed having a particular good oc schedule.  

All of those teams are better than what we scheduled last year. I would love for Dayton, NMSU, Army, or Richmond to come to the Pit over Omaha, LSU Shreveport, and Angelo State. How can you not see the difference of the quality in teams? We can't get a single notable team to the Pit?

Yes this is last year's schedule.

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

Too bad our league doesn't set up an alliance with another league....for some games.

Sun Belt has a deal with the MAC.

CUSA has a deal with the WAC.

I believe in both cases....every team gets a home and away game. Two decent Div. 1 games on the schedule.

We have 13 teams now. I think the MVC has 12. (Not sure if the MVC has an alliance with any other league).

This should be a top priority of the commish. And take two games out of the hands of the coaches....who apparently consider scheduling a Low Priority. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Rather team up with TCU or UTA

Why do we give TCU a pass on this board? When was the last time they played us in Denton? They won't even play us in any sport home or away. Their fans aren't as obnoxious as Smut, but they are just as bad about it being beneath them to play UNT.

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, Shark84 said:

Why do we give TCU a pass on this board? When was the last time they played us in Denton? They won't even play us in any sport home or away. Their fans aren't as obnoxious as Smut, but they are just as bad about it being beneath them to play UNT.

NT and TCU haven't played in men's basketball or football in over twenty years.

TCU is playing the old SWC game, of ignore them and hope they go away.

The last thing that SMU and TCU want is a strong NT to compete against in games or recruiting. 

Both TCU and SMU are substantially overpriced for the value of their degree.   They are generally perceived as rich kid's schools that don't come close to generating the educational value of a Stanford, Rice, Tulane, A&M or the University of Texas.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2

• Matt from A700 changed the title to 2024-25 MBB/WBB schedule news
5 minutes ago, NT80 said:

We are paying Houston Christian $90K to play us in Denton, but only charging Minnesota $85K to play there??  I'd rather switch these and host Minn.

Even though I posted that (it was on X)....I've had my doubts about that $90k figure. The game would be guaranteed to lose money. You'd have to have 3,000 paid customers.....all spending at least $30 each....just to break even. (that's not gonna have on Christmas break) 

So I can't imagine that $90 k is correct. I shouldn't have posted it. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

At this point I'm not even asking for power conference teams. I'd settle for solid, well known opponents. App State, NMSU, or WKU.

If I could turn back time, I'd ask Ross what his feelings were about scheduling former CUSA teams. We left behind several schools that I'd love to keep playing, even if not every year. LA Tech, UTEP, WKU, MTSU, and now Sam Houston State.

• Downvote 2

13 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

If I could turn back time, I'd ask Ross what his feelings were about scheduling former CUSA teams. We left behind several schools that I'd love to keep playing, even if not every year. LA Tech, UTEP, WKU, MTSU, and now Sam Houston State.

Any of those besides SHSU would be solid opponents. I'd take them over LSU Shreveport and Mississippi Valley, and you can't tell me they wouldn't be open to doing a 1 for 1 deal to keep costs down.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

30 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Any of those besides SHSU would be solid opponents. I'd take them over LSU Shreveport and Mississippi Valley, and you can't tell me they wouldn't be open to doing a 1 for 1 deal to keep costs down.

I would take a SHSU or SFA home-and-home just for another nearby road game for fans. At least they're still D-I. My mindset is typically conference champion or bust for the Big Dance, I don't care to pay much attention to how much they affect the NET or whatever.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt from A700 said:

I would take a SHSU or SFA home-and-home just for another nearby road game for fans. At least they're still D-I. My mindset is typically conference champion or bust for the Big Dance, I don't care to pay much attention to how much they affect the NET or whatever.

I'd definitely take them over any Non-D1 team. With that type of mindset we'll always be a 1 bid league, playing a tough schedule and being ranked really helps elevate the league as a whole. The MWC got 5 teams in last year based on their performance, so that's 5 extra credits for 5 years that gain interest and net the conference more money. We need to have a goal of getting 3-4 teams in a year, and we are not going to do that by playing the types of teams we do.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

I'd definitely take them over any Non-D1 team. With that type of mindset we'll always be a 1 bid league, playing a tough schedule and being ranked really helps elevate the league as a whole. The MWC got 5 teams in last year based on their performance, so that's 5 extra credits for 5 years that gain interest and net the conference more money. We need to have a goal of getting 3-4 teams in a year, and we are not going to do that by playing the types of teams we do.

We should never be playing a Non-D1 team.   I don't believe there are not more opportunities with Dl programs to have to settle for Miss Valley and LSU-Shv.   Same for playing FCS in football.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, NT80 said:

We should never be playing a Non-D1 team.   I don't believe there are not more opportunities with Dl programs to have to settle for Miss Valley and LSU-Shv.   Same for playing FCS in football.  

Agree, and I theorize it's one of two things.

1. The AD schedules soft so the teams can rack up wins and inflate their record. They are trying to build the fan base by showing we have "good teams" that win, hoping people don't care about who we play.

2. They AD is strapped for money and doing things on a shoe string budget, or they are horrible at negotiating.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1