Schedule tidbits via Coaches Caravan

Women

• Play at Abilene Christian, at Houston the week before Thanksgiving
  • at Oregon
  • this year's nonconference "tournament" will be in Denton featuring games against SMU and Chicago State

Men

Seems to be much further from completion than the women's. Getting harder and harder to find teams to play according to Hodge.

• Previously announced games against Evansville, two games in Orlando against either Northern Iowa, St. Bonaventure, and/or Utah State
  • No return game from Boise, Nevada backed out of their previous commitment to play us
  • Even UTA is not a guarantee. Last year was the last game of a multi-year agreement that apparently hasn't been renewed yet
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Don’t get why the men still have trouble. 

Seems to be easier for the women's teams in general for some reason.

Last year we played Texas Tech at home in volleyball, softball regularly gets Big XII/SEC teams like OSU, A&M and/or Tech to come to Denton. This year soccer is starting the season at home against Oklahoma and Alabama.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, untlynchka1 said:

Because we are now in the bracket of teams that are no longer considered a guaranteed w, but also not shiny enough of a win for the risk. 

Well, I think we are plenty shiny. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

We can do women's basketball stuff and send our guys to Abilene if we're just trying to hurry through the process. 

For men's basketball, I personally have no problem with us doing home and homes with Div. I Texas schools like ACU, SHSU, SFA, Texas State.

SHSU and Texas State were opponents of ours....in 2 of our NIT years.

SFA won an NCAA tournament game way before we did.

And the year we beat Purdue......ACU beat Texas. 

So....if we're looking down our noses at schools like that.....no wonder we can't get things scheduled. 

What I don't understand....are some of the places that we go to.....without getting a return game....like Boise State and St. Mary's. We've gone to Boise twice with no return (last year....and one year I think the JJ era)

Edited by SUMG
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, SUMG said:

For men's basketball, I personally have no problem with us doing home and homes with Div. I Texas schools like ACU, SHSU, SFA, Texas State.

SHSU and Texas State were opponents of ours....in 2 of our NIT years.

SFA won an NCAA tournament game way before we did.

And the year we beat Purdue......ACU beat Texas. 

So....if we're looking down our noses at schools like that.....no wonder we can't get things scheduled. 

What I don't understand....are some of the places that we go to.....without getting a return game....like Boise State and St. Mary's. We've gone to Boise twice with no return (last year....and one year I think the JJ era)

I'm not looking down my nose at anyone. But if you want to lock in an early schedule, ACU type trips will do it. I'd rather us stay patient and play "up" or play similar opponents that align with the AAC. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I'm not looking down my nose at anyone. But if you want to lock in an early schedule, ACU type trips will do it. I'd rather us stay patient and play "up" or play similar opponents that align with the AAC. 

Well we have seen what playing up like Hodge did last season.  His schedule was 10x what McCasland had and then we have fans giving him a B- grade and complaining about him.

• Eye Roll 1

26 minutes ago, meangreen11 said:

Well we have seen what playing up like Hodge did last season.  His schedule was 10x what McCasland had and then we have fans giving him a B- grade and complaining about him.

Schedule was indeed tougher and injuries were much deeper. I commended Ross for his first year as a high level HC. 

However, can't lose to Fordham types in non-league play. Can't lose bottom barrel leauge games like vs nutsack. Forgot opponent, but it was a non-league game and we were up 6 with 1:10 to go and proceeded to let THEM win at the free throw line. Pretty remarkable considering lead and time remaining. I want to say it was @ Boise. Gotta go +3 there in the win column. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Schedule was indeed tougher and injuries were much deeper. I commended Ross for his first year as a high level HC. 

However, can't lose to Fordham types in non-league play. Can't lose bottom barrel leauge games like vs nutsack. Forgot opponent, but it was a non-league game and we were up 6 with 1:10 to go and proceeded to let THEM win at the free throw line. Pretty remarkable considering lead and time remaining. I want to say it was @ Boise. Gotta go +3 there in the win column. 

I'll say what I said on Twitter in response to this statistic. We could have been on the second tier of this graphic if we had closed out those games we were winning late last season alone: St. John's, LSU, Boise, Fordham, at FAU, UAB, South Florida, at SMU, UTSA, vs. FAU.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

We must be a real pushover for teams to con us into a game on the road with no return game.  Toughen up Mean Green.  Also, why not get Army or Navy to Denton?  A lot more name recognition than some of our home game opponents.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

On 7/4/2024 at 4:08 PM, drex said:

We must be a real pushover for teams to con us into a game on the road with no return game.  Toughen up Mean Green.  Also, why not get Army or Navy to Denton?  A lot more name recognition than some of our home game opponents.

I wonder how picky we are being in teams we think below us, at least closeby that would still allow plenty of UNT fans to attend. Would Tarleton, SFA, SHSU, or A&M Commerce play us on their courts?

I really hope the UTA series isn't put on hold.

• Upvote 1